Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default Isn't that what TEACHERS are for?

As impassioned parents decried the Detroit Public Schools’ dismal test scores Saturday, the emergency financial manager called on volunteers to spend 100,000 hours teaching students to read.

Emergency Financial Manager Robert Bobb told the Detroit Parent Network that he'll announce the new initiative on Monday in response to dismal test scores released this week.

"Going forward, we have to create a situation where we create a reading revolution in the city of Detroit, so every child that reaches third grade is reading at or above third grade level," Bobb told about 300 parents gathered for the morning breakfast.
    http://freep.com/article/20091212/NE...udents-to-read

How about we dump the teachers and get volunteers to teach history and math and civics and everything else?

MichMatters Guest

I support this. I see it as a supplement, and not a replacement. And, realizing the reality of the situation, there really isn't any other choice. If the teachers aren't going to put an extra focus on reading, right away, then the community can take the intiative and take this into their own hands. There is no time to waste of waiting for the school district to restructure itself, and even if it did it as fast as it possibly could, it still wouldn't be fast enough.

So, I don't at all mind the parents and community throwing down an emergency saftey net until the curriculum can be redone, and hopefully by Bobb instead of the school board. By nature -- as it should -- that's going to take time. Until then, I say "amen" for this call by Bobb for this emergency appeal to the parents.

I felt the same way at first about the teachers when hearing this but I wonder if this is Bobb's way of getting adults involved with students who are lacking parental involvement. A mentor without calling it that. But I wonder how he will handle the issues of background checks when you have people like this working with children. Its a real mess, yes, a real mess.

I think it's a good idea and I'm certainly going to volunteer...I've been looking for something worthwhile to do since I retired in October...I went to Detroit Public Schools in the 50's & 60's. But unlike the kids in school now I had two parents who also when to Detroit Public Schools and both graduated from the same high school me and my brothers graduated from [[Southeastern). My parents spent hours after dinner with me and my brothers going over our homework, especially spelling and math, and making sure it got done and that we understood what we were doing. Graduation was not an option. Most of the kids in Detroit schools don't have two parents at home. Since nobody picks their parents anybody that has two parents in the home that are there for them is lucky. I'm not making excuses I'm just stating a fact. Many of the kids parents aren't old enough to be parents and they have other priorities that do not include education. I got a great DPS education and went on to get a Bachelor's and Master's degree from the University of Michigan...Go Blue!!! I hope other people on DetroitYes will jump on the bandwagon and give some of these kids a chance. There are many underlying reasons why they failed. Maybe it's the teachers, maybe it's the parents, maybe it's the administration, maybe it's the whole system, but whatever it is talking about it is not going to help these kids.
    Last edited by EastsideQT; December-13-09 at 09:16 AM.

Stosh Guest

The initiative is something that should have been in place a long time ago. This problem is not just a Detroit problem; it's everywhere. There is no shortage of illiteracy in our society. I was taught to read at an early age by my parents and extended family members. I did the same with my children, attempting to instill a love of books and reading.

All my children are voracious readers, except for one, who has dyslexia. But she has battled that to enable herself to read enough to function in society. She uses audio books extensively though.

Correct me if I'm wrong... The way I was taught to read [[phonics) is not the way the schools teach it now?
    Last edited by Stosh; December-13-09 at 10:10 AM.

Thanks Eastside, earlier, I was trying to compose a similar statement but could not believe that anyone in today's world can understand that we are dealing with an enormous underclass living in oblivious disfunction.

That is a key problem for Detroit schools. Charter schools and schools of choice gave parents low cost options to the District. Any parent with comprehension of the problem would take advantage of whatever tools they could get their hands on. What is left is the Detroit Public School system. While there are alternatives out there, that is measure that most responsible parents look at when trying to decide where to raise their family.

In short we have a bunch of kids who are not getting any support from home. This makes teachers job's incredibly challenging.

I disagree with the position that paid employees are already in place and therefore we don't need volunteers. My K-12 education, and the education of our three boys, was much more than the six or seven hours we were actually in class.

My husband [[a teacher) and I are going to volunteer for the Reading Corps.

9mile&seneca Guest

"Thanks Eastside, earlier, I was trying to compose a similar statement but could not believe that anyone in today's world can understand that we are dealing with an enormous underclass living in oblivious disfunction."
    Ah, yes "The Great Society" Neither great nor a society.

From the article:
    "It’s a day that calls upon all of us to express our outrage and frustration," Bobb said to heavy applause and an audience that included U.S. Representative John Conyers.
    I wonder if Rep. Conyers squirmed in his seat as the audience applauded Mr. Bobb? Does he feel the slightest bit of embarrassment or responsibility for what has happened in Detroit during his 44 years of representing the 1st/14th District - all but 12 of which were spent in a Democrat-controlled Congress? Is there a "take-away" from this that he will be sharing with the members of his CBC?
    Last edited by Mikeg; December-13-09 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    From the article:
    I wonder if Rep. Conyers squirmed in his seat as the audience applauded Dr. Bobb? Does he feel the slightest bit of embarrassment or responsibility for what has happened in Detroit during his 44 years of representing the 1st/14th District - all but 12 of which were spent in a Democrat-controlled Congress? Is there a "take-away" from this that he will be sharing with the members of his CBC?
    The last time I saw John Conyers they had to wake him up when it came his time to speak at a conference on Domestic Violence.

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideQT View Post
    I went to Detroit Public Schools in the 50's & 60's. But unlike the kids in school now I had two parents who also when to Detroit Public Schools and both graduated from the same high school me and my brothers graduated from [[Southeastern). My parents spent hours after dinner with me and my brothers going over our homework, especially spelling and math, and making sure it got done and that we understood what we were doing. Graduation was not an option.
    I graduated from Southeastern High School in the early 60's as well. Went to Howe, Foch and SE. I feel that I got a wonderful education from these three schools. But, in those days, students didn't intimidate teachers, they respected them. Students respected the police and they respected their parents. Today is a whole different ballgame. I have talked to three teachers in the DPS who are friends of mine and they have voiced their concern about the violence, disrespect, and "I don't care" attitude that 75% of the students have. Parents don't care whether the kids are there or not. I know of many incidents where the students got a failing grade and parents actually threatened the teacher with bodily harm unless they changed it. Some principals have insisted that a teacher "pass" a child, even if the child couldn't read or write.
    In my humble opinion, the parents or guardians of the students attending DPS need to be educated on how to raise the children, what's important and what's not. If the parents, whether it be Mom or Dad, Grandma or Grandpa, Aunt or Uncle, started taking more responsibility for their children instead of letting them roam the streets, I think you'd see a change.

Maybe he will have more time to devote while Monica is sitting in jail.

Figured I'd post the info here, given this thread.

You can volunteer for Reading Corps at this website address:
    http://www.detroitk12.org/readingcorps/

Or you can call: 313-870-KNOW [[313-870-5669)

We really want to make this work..

While I mulled over the thought of volunteering, another part of me still believes [[strongly) that education on any level begins at home [[whether it be academically or morally/ethically). When the parents of the illiterate individuals are illiterate themselves, how is that going to work? We are facing and have been facing an enormous mess, but I believe it was Dennis Archer who said, "everyone has to sweep their own stoop first". Everything starts at home. We need to stop lowering standards. God, by doing this, we're instilling the message "this is all we think you're capable of doing". Why not push everyone a little harder? A little hard work NEVER hurt anyone. To me, reading is a magical outlet...to have these kids miss out is a crime...accountability MUST lie somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by agirlintheD View Post
    While I mulled over the thought of volunteering, another part of me still believes [[strongly) that education on any level begins at home [[whether it be academically or morally/ethically). When the parents of the illiterate individuals are illiterate themselves, how is that going to work? We are facing and have been facing an enormous mess, but I believe it was Dennis Archer who said, "everyone has to sweep their own stoop first". Everything starts at home. We need to stop lowering standards. God, by doing this, we're instilling the message "this is all we think you're capable of doing". Why not push everyone a little harder? A little hard work NEVER hurt anyone. To me, reading is a magical outlet...to have these kids miss out is a crime...accountability MUST lie somewhere.
    I totally agree...accountability must lie somewhere...that's why I am going to volunteer...even though none of these kids are mine I still feel I owe these kids....everyone is always talking about "giving back" well this is an opportunity to do that....if these kids had parents maybe the situation would be different...but the fact is they don't...they have parents who aren't old enough to be parents...the average age of a male in a Detroit household is 14 years olds....85% of the homes in Detroit are run by a single female who is not much older than her children...is any of this my fault NO...I know I can't solve the problem....but I can and will be a part of the solution....if this is the solution....who knows???

Oh, I'll be volunteering. I merely wanted my feelings clearly known.

Quote Originally Posted by sehender1 View Post
    Figured I'd post the info here, given this thread.

You can volunteer for Reading Corps at this website address:
    http://www.detroitk12.org/readingcorps/

Or you can call: 313-870-KNOW [[313-870-5669)

We really want to make this work..
    Thanks...I just signed up for 8 hours per week...

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post

How about we dump the teachers and get volunteers to teach history and math and civics and everything else?
    I think that's a great idea....at least the students would know that the volunteers are there because they want to be there and that they care about them...rather than being there for the paycheck and sending their own children to private schools.

Buy American Guest

35 years ago I couldn't send my kids to DPS....not because of the teachers but because of the students! Too much intimidation, violence, and extortion for my liking. The teachers have to put up with this type of mentality every day.

Would any of you actually send your kids to schools with this going on? I don't think so. This type of stuff does not go on in suburban schools that I know of. I'm not saying that suburban schools are "perfect", "crime free", but the MEAP scores are the proof.

Also, accountability is the key. Look at the previous Board of Education and the crimes they committed against the DPS. They stole everything, from computers, books, paper and supplies to insurance fraud. If I lived in Detroit I would be enraged that this went on for years with no one stopping it.

And meanwhile let's also get volunteers to breast-feed and toilet-train and entertain these kids as well.

The title of this thread would more appropriately be: "Isn't That What PARENTS are for?"

Back in the day, my own family read to me - and it might as well have been for 100,000 hours! - before I ever started school. Then throughout my school years they continued to be involved in my education and helped me with homework and made sure that I was able to keep up with my studies.

What a concept! Parents taking responsibility for their own child instead trying to push it off on "the village!"

Quote Originally Posted by EMG View Post
    And meanwhile let's also get volunteers to breast-feed and toilet-train and entertain these kids as well.

The title of this thread would more appropriately be: "Isn't That What PARENTS are for?"

Back in the day, my own family read to me - and it might as well have been for 100,000 hours! - before I ever started school. Then throughout my school years they continued to be involved in my education and helped me with homework and made sure that I was able to keep up with my studies.

What a concept! Parents taking responsibility for their own child instead trying to push it off on "the village!"
    Yeah, but what happens when the parents can't read?

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Yeah, but what happens when the parents can't read?
    Then they shouldn't be having kids.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EMG View Post

Not every parent knows to do that, or knows how to. If a kid has the bad luck to be born to an illiterate parent, for example, do you advocate just discarding that kid as worthless? Throwing him out of the public education system? Telling him he will never amount to anything? What's he supposed to do then? Sell crack? Mug old ladies on the street? Even if this doesn't bother your conscience, the consequences of such a policy for the entire community are sufficiently dire and far-reaching that it's a hell of a lot more sensible to do what you can to avoid it.

Another 'Bash the teachers' statement. I'm sure they share some responsibility, along with parents, funding, politicans, etc, etc, etc, etc, but it sure ain't as simple as you put it.

I think Mr. Bobb has the right idea. This is good on so many levels. Detroit teachers I am sure, will appreciate the parental involvement. The children will have a mentor of sorts-one who will work with them everyday. It will stress the importance of the parents being involved with their children's education. Maybe their parents won't get involved, but it will teach the children that they should be involved. Down the road, maybe they will be better parents? It will teach the parents what they need to do for their child to succeed. And maybe it will inspire the parents to improve their education levels too?

The education situation in Detroit isn't going to change until the parents learn to value an education and teach that value to their children.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast