Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Google Earth adds 3D views of Detroit

Google Earth just added improved 3D buildings for downtown Detroit. I just blogged about it as well and included a shot of the RiverWalk's Rivard Plaza.
    http://www.m-bike.org/blog/2009/12/1...n-google-earth

Thanks for the heads up. There's a lot more than when I last checked!

I just wish they'd finish up with the Street View feature for Detroit. Over 1/3 of the city is unfinished, and it seems to be the 1/3 I'm mostly interested in, like from the New Center area out through Highland Park and on to Eight Mile Road.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    I just wish they'd finish up with the Street View feature for Detroit. Over 1/3 of the city is unfinished, and it seems to be the 1/3 I'm mostly interested in, like from the New Center area out through Highland Park and on to Eight Mile Road.
    Agreed. Some of the most heavily-traveled and visited areas of Detroit like Midtown and New Center are not in Street View, while other areas like the urban prairies on the far east side are covered extensively. Doesn't make any sense at all. Either the people driving the Google car had no idea what to make of our fair city, or they were stoned out of their minds. Meanwhile almost all of Ann Arbor, Livonia, etc. are entirely covered.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    Agreed. Some of the most heavily-traveled and visited areas of Detroit like Midtown and New Center are not in Street View, while other areas like the urban prairies on the far east side are covered extensively. Doesn't make any sense at all. Either the people driving the Google car had no idea what to make of our fair city, or they were stoned out of their minds. Meanwhile almost all of Ann Arbor, Livonia, etc. are entirely covered.
    The far-east-side urban prairies are a fairly recent addition. Up until the last few months, there was almost no coverage of the east side at all. When they finally got around to it, they did the east side very thoroughly, and now every other part of the city is lacking in comparison. Oddly, though, all the newly-added parts of the east side show up as "Grosse Pointe, Michigan." Google used to be very reliable about correctly identifying city boundaries in the metro area, so it's disappointing to see them take a step back there.

I finally got the chance to take a look at the new 3D views for Detroit. I really like what I see, but there's more that needs to be done.

Google takes it offroad: Introducing the Street View Trike

That video is impressive. I've never used Google Earth, but I think I'll try it now. Seems like when I first looked into it, it was for only PCs.

I just wish they'd finish up with the Street View feature for Detroit. Over 1/3 of the city is unfinished . . .

I also find the incomplete "street view" annoying with big chunks of the city uncovered. My neighborhood on the far west side was done more than 2 years ago but there's still nothing for the Livernois-6 Mile area where I grew up.

Would be nice to see if the Illich parking lots of downtown Detroit be filled in with their previous occupiers. Walking along Detroit in it's heyday would be fantastic.

I just find it strange that the liqour store by my house is a 3d image.

One thing I found strange is that the 'ground' is the same map from maps.google.com, which are images from mid/late 2007. Last year I put an addition onto my house and the 3d model captures that, yet they didn't catch the garage I put up last year.