Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Chene and Frederick building demolition

I was driving down Chene today when I noticed a building at the corner where it meets Frederick was just recently demolished. I was hoping someone would be able to provide info on what stood there. Looks like it was an old brick building.

Stosh Guest

Two story building. I wish I knew how to imbed these.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&so...66.61,,0,-1.94

Well, you can't keep everything. The building itself was not that remakable. But the history of it is now lost also. Who knows what happened here the past century....

Monthly drives down Chene yield fewer and fewer structures. Most noticeably, those old 2-3 story corner buildings where the front door was at a 45 degree angle to the street are mostly burned or by now demolished. Kinda the same story all over town.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post
    Well, you can't keep everything.
    No sh*t, nor am I saying everything should be saved. I like here the old stories people tell on here so I made the thread to see if there was anything people would like to share about the building.
    Last edited by DetroitZack; December-12-09 at 07:40 AM.

Stosh Guest

2 businesses in that building in 1928.

At 5300 Chene, Michael Jacobs, Michael Jacobs Men's Furnishings
    5310 John Grabowski, Soft drinks.

Stosh, to imbed a Google view, bring up the shot you want. Press "Alt" and "Print Screen" together. Go to a photo program, such as LView or Photoshop. "Paste" to that program, and the view will come up. Crop and re-size as desired, then save as a .jpg. The rest is just pasting to DetroitYes with your note.
    Last edited by Ray1936; August-01-10 at 08:25 PM.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Stosh, to imbed a Google view, bring up the shot you want. Press "Alt" and "Print Screen" together. Go to a photo program, such as LView or Photoshop. "Paste" to that program, and the view will come up. Crop and re-size as desired, then save as a .jpg. The rest is just pasting to DetroitYes with your note.
    Very good. Thanks Ray.

Bearinabox Guest

I don't know what's more surprising--that anyone cared enough about that neighborhood to knock down a building in it, or that there was anything left there to knock down.

Chene street is like a ghost town....Eminem particularly and carefully picked Chene Street for his image of Detroit streets in "8 Mile". Everything from the old 19th Hole Penthouse [[demolished) to the Indoor Gun Range [[still there). These are various shots of Chene Street that I took this summer. I got more too!

Attachment 4296

Attachment 4297

Attachment 4294

Attachment 4295

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob66 View Post
    Chene street is like a ghost town....Eminem particularly and carefully picked Chene Street for his image of Detroit streets in "8 Mile".
    I almost gave myself a headache after watching that movie trying to figure out why a kid from Warren would be riding the Chene bus into the city. Then I remembered about artistic license and suspension of disbelief.

More chene street pics for ya

Attachment 4302

Attachment 4303

Thats my hood.

I believe the building was/is owned by a biker, Pastor Steve, who runs the halfway house next door but Im not certain. They have a great community garden project going. Cub has some connections there as he introduced me to one of the ladies who runs the garden.

I cannot remember the name of the place, its some hippy type name like food not bombs or something. Slightly ironic that the place is directly next to a dope house. They hold outdoor services for the newly reformed while the addicts come and go next door all the while eyeing each other with envy

The area to the left of the demolished building was a tidy park of some sort, sponsored by some church was my guess.

Even on Chene there can be hope...

Directly across the street is a former theater [forgot the name] and the D'elegance Lounge

Directly across the street is a former theater [forgot the name]
    The Fredo/King Theatre was at 5317 Chene. I think there were at least three other theaters along Chene.

Thanks for the pictures detroitbob and lowell. I'm going to have to try to find out what the name of that theatre was. I took a picture of that building as well.

Greetings--

There is a thriving bakery on Chene. See the attached photo of the window display I took a few weeks while riding my bike through the neighborhood.

I think you'll agree the selection is mouth watering.

Enjoy!

^mmmmmm

I noticed that bakery also Eastside, a few weeks ago. Ive got some shots myself.
    Last edited by Django; May-03-10 at 03:37 AM.

Loks like the old Palmer Bakery, second building on the south west corner of Chene and Palmer, next door would have been a hardware store: formerly grocery store, entrance to the Chene Ferry Market then Martin restaurant. Most long gone as Ernie Harwell would say.

Sad to see Medbury and Chene, I am a St Stans Bronco, 67.

Here is a picture of the bakery before it was burned. I grabbed it of Google Maps.

I found this list of theaters along Chene.

http://www.waterwinterwonderland.com...p?search=chene

Regarding the topic of demolition of all these structures in the city, I can't help to think there must be some grand plan in the future for all this vacant land.

Unless, they are only doing this to line their pockets with what is left of the tax base.

Bearinabox, the Chene bus runs along Jos. Campau thru Hamtramck. So it's possible.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast