Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Dr Peter Watts, Canadian science fiction writer, beaten and arrested at US border

This allegedly happened at Port Huron: Dr Peter Watts, Canadian science fiction writer, beaten and arrested at US border.
    My friend, the wonderful sf writer Peter Watts was beaten without provocation and arrested by US border guards on Tuesday. I heard about it early Wednesday morning in London and called Cindy Cohn, the legal director of the Electronic Frontier Foundation. She worked her contacts to get in touch with civil rights lawyers in Michigan, and we mobilized with Caitlin Sweet [[Peter's partner) and David Nickle [[Peter's friend) and Peter was arraigned and bailed out later that day....

Are the border guards paid to act like dickheads? Or is that just the way they act cuz their job sucks?

While I know the border guards can be a PITA, I highly doubt they got physical with this guy without some type of provocation. Hopefully the event was caught on the security footage and this can be straightened out quickly.

Without any knowledge of the subject... why do I have a funny feeling that this may end up being be about "the artistic temperment butts heads with Soviet era style border guards".....

I wonder how many border guards the notorious and hot headed Grosse Pointe South choirmaster Ellen Bowen could take out before being subdued....

Although there may be more than meets the eye in this incident, I can certainly agree that US border guards are awful. I haven't been to Canada in years.

One wrong word against their surliness and you invite a cavity search or having your car dismembered.

Going to Canada has become about as pleasant as a cold war visit to East Berlin. Homeland Security has quickly become our version of Stasi or the KGB. I hope that when President Obama has addressed his already full plate of inherited problems, he takes some time to make some changes.

Blarf Guest

Who the hell is Peter Watts?

Previous post quote:
    "...Going to Canada has become about as pleasant as a cold war visit to East Berlin. Homeland Security has quickly become our version of Stasi or the KGB. I hope that when President Obama has addressed his already full plate of inherited problems, he takes some time to make some changes..."

It is so much more pleasant to cross borders throughout Europe than here. Who would have believed this twenty years ago?

I agree that Obama has a full plate, but common sense should be applied here.

I will not go to Canada and I will not go through any airport. I will not be treated as an enemy of my country. By anyone, anytime, anywhere.

ziggyselbin Guest

I see there is a solicitation for money. I am no lawyer but Peter would do best to plead it down via a public defender and be done with it. Frankly the old cliche about picking one's battles seems appropriate here...exceedingly so. This is one to let go. And as distasteful as some may find this it is just plain stupid to argue with law enforcement.The time to argue is in court. One should always be completely agreeable and compliant with any law enforcement.

A Google search of this brings up many mentions, each one pointing to the boingboing story. I found no independent report on whether this occurred.

dharma4313 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ziggyselbin View Post
    I see there is a solicitation for money.
    I'm in. As one with some experience with the border and recreational amounts of cannabis, I'm taking up a collection to buy a trophy for the border guards, for bagging such a rare and remarkable specimen of beaverish stupidity.

andybsg Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Although there may be more than meets the eye in this incident, I can certainly agree that US border guards are awful. I haven't been to Canada in years.

One wrong word against their surliness and you invite a cavity search or having your car dismembered.

Going to Canada has become about as pleasant as a cold war visit to East Berlin. Homeland Security has quickly become our version of Stasi or the KGB. I hope that when President Obama has addressed his already full plate of inherited problems, he takes some time to make some changes.
    If you haven't been to Canada in years, then how can you make these comments?

Quote Originally Posted by andybsg View Post
    If you haven't been to Canada in years, then how can you make these comments?
    Ummmm.... Canada isn't the only foreign country with US Customs on return point of entry.... I've been to Europe many times via Metro Airport...

ccbatson Guest

Not plausible that anything like this happens without provocation.

andybsg Guest

Ummmm.... Canada isn't the only foreign country with US Customs on return point of entry.... I've been to Europe many times via Metro Airport...

Ummmm.... then why speak specifically about the Canadian crossing? Do you often make blanket statements about things you have no direct experience of?

Ummmm.... then why speak specifically about the Canadian crossing? Do you often make blanket statements about things you have no direct experience of?
    Ummm.... because this is an article about somebody getting beat up by border patrol... and ummm.... I wasn't aware that the rules of DYES [[where I have posted for 10 years now).... require me to have direct experience in order to post. It's a freestyle casual forum... you'll get the hang of it after a while...
    Last edited by Gistok; December-12-09 at 11:02 PM.

ccbatson Guest

First verify the premise that someone was assaulted for no reason without provocation.

andybsg Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    First verify the premise that someone was assaulted for no reason without provocation.
    That won't happen. That would challenge a preconceived notion.

Ummmm... I have never been to Australia. The people in Australia do not like Americans. Driving in Sydney is dangerous and the food there is disgusting. Entering Australia is like getting out of Casablanca after the fall of Paris. I know this because I have been to Canada many times.

That won't happen. That would challenge a preconceived notion.

Ummmm... I have never been to Australia. The people in Australia do not like Americans. Driving in Sydney is dangerous and the food there is disgusting. Entering Australia is like getting out of Casablanca after the fall of Paris. I know this because I have been to Canada many times.
    Well just what this forum needs is another newbie troll... I've noticed your snarky comments on other DYES threads.
    Last edited by Gistok; December-14-09 at 02:46 AM.

From the Winnepeg Free Press:
    Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
    Canadian writer accused of choking border guard
    By: Staff Writer
    14/12/2009 1:00 AM | Comments: 1
    PRINT E–MAIL SHARE THIS REPORT ERROR
    PORT HURON, Mich. -- A Canadian science fiction writer is facing charges after an incident at the Canada-U.S. border.
    Peter Watts was detained last week in Port Huron, Michigan after trying to cross from Ontario.
    U.S .Customs says Watts got aggressive with border officers after his vehicle was selected for inspection.
    A Michigan newspaper reports the Toronto-based writer choked an officer during a scuffle and that pepper spray was used to subdue him.
    Watts was arrested and charged with assaulting, obstructing and resisting a police officer.
    He was released on a $5,000-dollar bond and ordered to return to court in Port Huron on December 22nd.
    On Watts' blog, comments attributed to him denied he'd been aggressive and said he was punched in the face during the arrest.
    <snip>

andybsg Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    From the Winnepeg Free Press:
    Quote:
    Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
    Canadian writer accused of choking border guard
    By: Staff Writer
    14/12/2009 1:00 AM | Comments: 1
    PRINT E–MAIL SHARE THIS REPORT ERROR
    PORT HURON, Mich. -- A Canadian science fiction writer is facing charges after an incident at the Canada-U.S. border.
    Peter Watts was detained last week in Port Huron, Michigan after trying to cross from Ontario.
    U.S .Customs says Watts got aggressive with border officers after his vehicle was selected for inspection.
    A Michigan newspaper reports the Toronto-based writer choked an officer during a scuffle and that pepper spray was used to subdue him.
    Watts was arrested and charged with assaulting, obstructing and resisting a police officer.
    He was released on a $5,000-dollar bond and ordered to return to court in Port Huron on December 22nd.
    On Watts' blog, comments attributed to him denied he'd been aggressive and said he was punched in the face during the arrest.
    <snip>

Jcole, please stop trolling. Bringing up reliable sources or in any way challenging the blanket statements made on this thread will be construed as just that.

I'm sorry. I'll try to unlearn Google search.

Jcole, please stop trolling. Bringing up reliable sources or in any way challenging the blanket statements made on this thread will be construed as just that.
    Just this thread?

... why do I have a funny feeling that this may end up being be about "the artistic temperment butts heads with Soviet era style border guards".....
    Thanks for the details Jcole... looks like I was right!

ccbatson Guest

There we go...he choked the guard...yet the story spins to portray the guards as the bad guys.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast