Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Hollywood propaganda machine hits snag

Palestinian man files libel suit over ‘Bruno’

""WASHINGTON - A Palestinian shopkeeper and father portrayed as a terrorist in the movie "Bruno" is suing film star Sacha Baron Cohen, David Letterman and others for libel and slander. The lawsuit filed last week by Ayman Abu Aita in District of Columbia federal court seeks $110 million in damages.
    In the movie, Cohen plays a gay Austrian fashion journalist trying to make it big in the United States. To achieve worldwide fame, Bruno travels to the Middle East to make peace. He interviews Abu Aita, and a caption labels the Bethlehem shopkeeper as a member of the militant Al-Aqsa Martyrs' Brigade.""

Oops!

Why do we tolerate this sort of railroading of any group?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34350287/
    Last edited by Sstashmoo; December-11-09 at 01:06 PM.

That's quite a reach there, son. Take one lawsuit resulting from one movie and use to wag your finger at the "Hollywood propaganda machine."
    It's "Bruno." Have you seen anything by Sacha Baron Cohen? He does that kind of thing for shock value. So what you're doing is kind of like condemning all pop music because of Marilyn Manson.
    Nice try.

I don't follow. Sasha always gets sued. Plus, he's British.

I didn't see anything about Al-Aqsa Martyrs' Brigade being railroaded.

You guys don't see the dangerous precedent in simply tricking someone to appear on film and then labeling them a "terrorist" because of their nationality? And the scary part, no one questions it. The media have many in this country believing anyone of Arab descent is a potential terrorist. I hope this guy collects and only wish it was more.

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post
    You guys don't see the dangerous precedent in simply tricking someone to appear on film and then labeling them a "terrorist" because of their nationality? And the scary part, no one questions it. The media have many in this country believing anyone of Arab descent is a potential terrorist. I hope this guy collects and only wish it was more.
    What? But I thought all of arab descent WERE terrorists. That is what Hannity Malikin, Rush, Beck, and Palin keep telling me. I am so confused.

In all seriousness, I do have to feel for the guy because he had no idea or clue as to what was going on. Hopefully no nutcase will actually take this serious enough to cause him, his family or business any harm.
    I can't say the media has everyone believing that anyone of Arab[[or Persian) descent is a terrorist anymore than "The Godfather" triology insinuated that everyone of Italian descent[[which I fall into) was in the Mafia.
    It'll most likely be settled out of court for a few mil, plus Cohen will get free publicity for his movie.

no one questions it because it is prima facie absurd. only fools take anything SBC does seriously

You guys don't see the dangerous precedent in simply tricking someone to appear on film and then labeling them a "terrorist" because of their nationality?
    I saw "Bruno." It was hilarious. He tried to seduce Ron Paul on camera too, which is worth the price of a movie ticket. Everyone he interviews gets punked to some degree; that's what he does. I don't recall the exacts of the interview with this guy, but I don't think he called him a "terrorist" per say - he noted the group he was involved with. The "terrorist" reference was when Cohen was being interviewed by Letterman. At any rate, it wasn't "because of his nationality."
    And the scary part, no one questions it.
    Looks like this guy and his lawyers are right now.
    The media
    What media? The xenophobic talk shows? Lou Dobbs, maybe? The funny part is that the "Hollywood" you're tsk-tsking has been bending over backwards for a long time now to avoid the "terrorist Arab" stereotype.
    have many in this country
    Cohen's British.
    believing anyone of Arab descent is a potential terrorist.
    Tell that to the screeners at the airport. I'm sure it's "the media" telling them who to pat down.
    I hope this guy collects and only wish it was more.
    He did agree to the interview, but he might have a good case if he never signed a release. That's for the courts to work out. As far as defamation of character, it's hard to say that you were defamed if it's your own words on film, unless they were creatively edited, which they weren't. He might have a better shot with the use of the word "terrorist" in the Letterman interview.

Again, you're barking up the wrong tree. Hollywood and "the media" have nothing to do with this.

Quote: "Hollywood and "the media" have nothing to do with this."

Thanks for the laugh. Our media stands only as an impartial party to observe and report? Fox News and their mouthpieces don't have a bunch of simpletons whipped to a frenzy off on wild goose chases? Hollywood doesn't insert social messages in their content? What planet and are there any vacancies?
    Last edited by Sstashmoo; December-11-09 at 04:21 PM.

ccbatson Guest

Trivial in the extreme.

Thanks for the laugh. Our media stands only as an impartial party to observe and report? Fox News and their mouthpieces don't have a bunch of simpletons whipped to a frenzy off on wild goose chases? Hollywood doesn't insert social messages in their content? What planet and are there any vacancies?
    What does "the media" have to do with Cohen possibly misleading a man in an interview?
    You sound like you've got an ax to grind, but a lawsuit over "Bruno" is not part of it.

ccbatson Guest

Name one "wild goose chase" from Fox. Remember that some items are in the process of coming to light.

Sure, the media does those things. But Sasha Cohen is just Sasha Cohen. His motives are to be absurd and make you laugh at him. Anything more is you reading stuff in that just isn't there. If the law suit is legitimate, the guy will win. But Sasha has been through this before [[couple of similar lawsuits came from Borat), and I bet you he has a signed waiver that says this isn't going anywhere.

ccbatson Guest

Agree with Johnlodge, and Cohen does provide a unique perspective on things.

Lorax Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    Name one "wild goose chase" from Fox. Remember that some items are in the process of coming to light.
    This is the most idiotic post yet on this forum!

How much time do you have?

Let's start with one:

"Obama was educated in a Madrassa."

LOL!!

I challenge anyone here to post their favorite "Fox Wild Goose Chase" here. Let's all have a good laugh, we need it!

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
    I saw "Bruno." It was hilarious. He tried to seduce Ron Paul on camera too, which is worth the price of a movie ticket. Everyone he interviews gets punked to some degree; that's what he does. I don't recall the exacts of the interview with this guy, but I don't think he called him a "terrorist" per say - he noted the group he was involved with. The "terrorist" reference was when Cohen was being interviewed by Letterman. At any rate, it wasn't "because of his nationality."

Looks like this guy and his lawyers are right now.

What media? The xenophobic talk shows? Lou Dobbs, maybe? The funny part is that the "Hollywood" you're tsk-tsking has been bending over backwards for a long time now to avoid the "terrorist Arab" stereotype.

Cohen's British.

Tell that to the screeners at the airport. I'm sure it's "the media" telling them who to pat down.

He did agree to the interview, but he might have a good case if he never signed a release. That's for the courts to work out. As far as defamation of character, it's hard to say that you were defamed if it's your own words on film, unless they were creatively edited, which they weren't. He might have a better shot with the use of the word "terrorist" in the Letterman interview.

Again, you're barking up the wrong tree. Hollywood and "the media" have nothing to do with this.
    He is clearly labeled as a terrorist in the film [[ Specifically as a leader of Al-Aqsa Martyrs' Brigade) and it's not just "creative" editing.

Here's a video of the actual "interview".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElTgT35fZWs

ccbatson Guest

Ummm, Obama did spend time at a Madrassa.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,245582,00.html

BTW, guess who the source was...Hilary Clinton.

Lorax Guest

LOL!!!

You use a tabloid "news" show as your proof?

And you wonder why no one takes you or your "sources" seriously?

Hillary Clinton did not source this. What a load of crap.

Ummm, Obama did spend time at a Madrassa.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,245582,00.html

BTW, guess who the source was...Hilary Clinton.

Yes. He went to school at a Madrassa. He lived in Indonesia. Indonesia is a Muslim-majority country. This is news to nobody. It is also no more of a scandal than a kid in Ireland going to Catholic school.
    Your faux outrage is dismissed.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    He is clearly labeled as a terrorist in the film [[ Specifically as a leader of Al-Aqsa Martyrs' Brigade) and it's not just "creative" editing.

Here's a video of the actual "interview".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElTgT35fZWs
    Oh. It's been a while since it was in the theaters. My bad.
    The dude might have a case.

ccbatson Guest

I didn't say that Obama was a radical islamist, or even a Muslim [[most likely he is an atheist, IMO). That wasn't the point or the claim...the simple claim is that he [[likely not by his own choice) spent time as a student in a Madrassa in Indonesia. That was the story from Fox, and it is true...plain and simple.

ccbatson Guest

So...still waiting for the "wild goose chase" alleged to have been perpetrated by Fox.

I didn't say that Obama was a radical islamist, or even a Muslim [[most likely he is an atheist, IMO). That wasn't the point or the claim...the simple claim is that he [[likely not by his own choice) spent time as a student in a Madrassa in Indonesia. That was the story from Fox, and it is true...plain and simple.
    and I am sure every time the average right wing american hears the word Madrassah they think of a normal school.

ma⋅dra⋅sah  [muh-dras-uh]
    –noun Islam.
    a school or college, esp. a school attached to a mosque where young men study theology.

ccbatson Guest

Neither implied, nor alleged to be anything other by me, or by Fox...Hilary on the other hand....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast