Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Addresses near State Fairgrounds/ I75

At dinner tonight, my mom and uncle pulled out some scrapbooks of the family history-primarily their aunts, uncles and cousins, dating back at least a century. There are documents and notes containing addresses from earlier in the 20th century from the area of the fairgrouunds and john r/7 mile family members resided at.
    Though I live close enough, i figured before I drove around using up gas, someone here might have access to tax records that can determine if these addresses still exist and if they appear occuppied or not.And if they are gone, when they were demolished. My computer is old so I cant pull up street views from Google.
    The addresses are:
    -20295 John R [[they ran a store here)
    -19732 Irvington
    -750 W.Lantz
    -1092 Lantz
    -also, further east at 19676 Klinger

You need to remember that the street numbers in Detroit changed in 1920. So if your addresses predate 1920, you'll need to first visit the Burton Library [[in the Main Branch) and check in the 1920 City Directory to get the current addresses for those houses. Good Luck with your project.

Just doing a quick search on Live Maps, it appears that the street addresses all exist. The first one looks like some sort of garage or automotive shop. The next three are in fairly barren neighborhoods not far from the State Fair grounds, and with the nature of the mapping software, it's hard to tell if the houses are standing or not. Addresses may not be exact, and there is a lot of open space around there. The final address looks like the neighborhood is fairly intact, so more than likely there is a house there. It's south of Outer Drive between Conant and Ryan.

Be careful in that area.
    Over a year ago I did something similar to what you're planning to do and ended up high tailing it out of there after I was chased by a carload of people. My assumption was that they were trying to sell me drugs by the way they were trying to flag me down and the flashing of their headlights.

I think I came across 3 dope houses during my two block trip before I met up with the guys in the car. Either they were dope houses or there are a lot of friendly people in that area who race off their porch to say hello to you when you drive by. The drug competition in that area must be absolutely fierce.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Just doing a quick search on Live Maps, it appears that the street addresses all exist. The first one looks like some sort of garage or automotive shop. The next three are in fairly barren neighborhoods not far from the State Fair grounds, and with the nature of the mapping software, it's hard to tell if the houses are standing or not. Addresses may not be exact, and there is a lot of open space around there. The final address looks like the neighborhood is fairly intact, so more than likely there is a house there. It's south of Outer Drive between Conant and Ryan.

In fact, the John R address WAS an auto shop. There was a mention that even though it was a a typical auto buisness, the purple gang took their cars there for "some work"