Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Lindell AC 1310 Cass Avenue Detroit

Does anyone have any interesting stories concerning their visits to the Lindell AC in Detroit?

The bartender handed me and my date comps for the buffet at Motor City. We'd mever met the guy before. He also had a bunch of cool old music memorabilia - '70s Bob Seger concert tickets, etc. - stashed behind the bar that he took out and showed us.

Do I recall correctly that when Billy Martin was managing the Minnesota Twins he was
    sipping soda one night in the Lindell AC when his pitcher Dick Bosman entered. After
    some time, Mr. Martin told Mr. Bosman he lacked gut. Then Billy Martin got him into the
    alley behind the Lindell AC and decked him. This may not be a true story but it also might
    be.

Default Lindell A.C.

The pitcher was Dave Boswell, not Dick Bosman. I'm sure Billy was drinking Scotch as usual and decided to be a "tough guy". I wouldn't be surprised if Art Fowler was holding Boswell down in the alley for Billy to punch. Dave Boswell was about 6'5 and Billy around 5'8. The fight happened in August 1969 and Billy ultimately lost his job with the Twins over it. Most teams use to have a rule that managers and players were not to drink at the same bar. As a matter of fact that rule is the reason why the Lindell became a sports bar. The manager was suppose to drink at the Leland, Sheraton-Cadillac, Statler, and the Lindell was the place for the jocks to drink.

Got forcibly shoved out the door there once by Andre, of "Jimmy B and Andre" fame when some very drunk jerk of a local newsman [[who maybe only older Detroiters will remember) said something lewd and rude to my girlfriend [[later my first wife), and I told him to f--- off. Newsman stayed - I went.

Later, when I worked for the city, we used to go there for lunch quite a bit, which was a mellower and less drunk scene than in the evening. Friendly waitresses too. Once had a very nice lengthy discussion there over lunch with former Lion and sportscaster Wayne Walker, while sitting directly under his framed jersey.

I can't say that I have any interesting stories. I only remember being there once or twice. My dad worked at the McNamera Federal Building. When I would go downtown in the 80's, while in college, I'd meet my dad for lunch and he'd take me to the Lindell AC. Interesting place with a good burger for lunch.

I was a Computer Operations Manager at the phone company - then Michigan Bell - across the street from Lindell and we lunched there VERY often. Also, when working afternoons or midnights, we'd run across the street for a late dinner. One very snowy night, we called them and they had burgers waiting for us as we trudged through the snow to get them.

Burgers were GREAT bar burgers especially with grilled onions. They were also accompanied with a tray of condiments that we'd munch through while awaiting our meals. Have been craving a good bar burger like that for years but have never found one that compares.

Andre, mentioned above, was there quite often but Jimmy was rarely around. Johnny was there almost all the time and was very nice to us regulars. At that point, many of us were encouraging Andre to continue with his studies and get a good job.

There was a LOT of sports memorabilia all over the walls including some one's [[Wayne Walker's) jock strap.

Here a pic I took of the place around 97' I think it was closed by then.

Quote Originally Posted by mtm View Post
    I was a Computer Operations Manager at the phone company - then Michigan Bell - across the street from Lindell and we lunched there VERY often. Also, when working afternoons or midnights, we'd run across the street for a late dinner. One very snowy night, we called them and they had burgers waiting for us as we trudged through the snow to get them.

Burgers were GREAT bar burgers especially with grilled onions. They were also accompanied with a tray of condiments that we'd munch through while awaiting our meals. Have been craving a good bar burger like that for years but have never found one that compares.

Andre, mentioned above, was there quite often but Jimmy was rarely around. Johnny was there almost all the time and was very nice to us regulars. At that point, many of us were encouraging Andre to continue with his studies and get a good job.

There was a LOT of sports memorabilia all over the walls including some one's [[Wayne Walker's) jock strap.
    Pretty much my experience too. I worked for AT&T Communications at 445 State Street* from '84 to '91 and my work group would go to Lindell once or twice a month. Great place for a burger but no fights out back during the day.

* The 400 block of State Street is now the sidewalk on the north side of 1365 Cass. State Street disappeared when MBT built their parking lot.

My Dad worked across the street at Michigan Bell, and was a regular at the Lindell. When I was 16 and had just gotten my driver's licence I got a call from my Mom that I had to drive downtown and get my Dad and his car-pool buddy Rick from the Lindell. Rick's battery had been stolen from his Ford Fairlane. I walked into the Lindell [[having already gone there several times myself with my Dad) and found my Dad and Rick smashed--they found the battery gone, went to the Lindell, then proceed to get hammered before calling for a ride. I drove them to NW Detroit to Rick's house, Dad had sobered up enough to get his car home without incident.

Another story: when I was about 11 I went with a neighbor friend to his Dad's Masonic Lodge picnic at Camp Brighton. I asked my friend's Dad and his friends what the Masons were--knowing nothing of Freemasonry at 11, they kind of stumbled and hawed and said "It's a club, a sort of club" to which I answered "My dad belongs to a club, the Lindell Atheletic Club"!

56Packman,

What did your dad do? Back in the day, early 80's, most folks ssumed that if you were a woman working for Ma Bell that you were an operator. If you were male, repair or installation.

Great story on your dad and his buddy being blotto. Back then, again, people would drive when slightly blotto. That's how I got the spousal unit. In preparation for hoping to get much of the computer work for Ameritech after divestiture, they/we built a HUGE computer building at the Northwest Office Center off the Lodge in Southfield. I spent a weekend coordinating moving a lot of mainframes into the new building and had VERY little sleep. Worked like 20 hours, slept under my desk for 4, worked another 18, slept 3, etc. for several days. Once it was done, a bunch of us went out for drinks to celebrate and I was so exhausted that our table was cut off after 1 drink. Spouse wanted to make sure I got home safe so he followed me to make sure I was okay and it kind of grew from there.

The date, September 19, 1968. A 12 year old get to go to a rare week-day day game at Tiger Stadium. The Tigers had just clinched the Pennant 2 days earlier. The next day's game was rained out so since it was the end of the season they had to make-up the game on the travel day.

The starting pitchers are Denny Mclain for the Bengals and Mel Stottlemyre for the hated Yankees. Norm Cash hits 2 home runs in the game to Left Field!!

The Tigersare winning 6-0 going into the top of the 8th. Mickey Mantle comes up to bat with all 9063 fans cheering and banging the old wooden seats for him to hit a home run in what going to be his last at bat in Tiger Stadium as the Commerce Comet had announced earlier he was going to retire at years end.

First pitch is a lazy one right over the plate and Mantle watches is go by for strike one. Mclain looks at him quizatively like where do you want it? Mantle digs in again and once more he throws a soft toss pitch to Mantle who proceeds to drive it into the deep right field bleacher to the excitement and joy of the few in attendance. This home run puts Mantle ahead of Jimmie Foxx [[Double XX) on the all-time home run list. Tigs win the game 6-2 and Mclain wins his 31st game of the year.

After the game, with Mantle tied up in the clubhouse with reporters, the rest of the Yankee team slowly ascended on the awaiting bus. This 12 year old got glimpses of such Yankee greats Elston Howard, , Frankie Crossetti [[coach) Manager Ralph Houk and also former Tiger great Rocky Colavito who retired that year also. Then, like a shot, Mantle comes bolting out of the clubhouse, runs onto the bus and it winds it's was out and onward to the airport, but for one small glimpse this 12 year old got a sneak peek at him up close.

After the game, the 12 year old’s dad took him to Lindell AC for a burger, there was rumor that McLain might be stopping in after the game too. The 12 year old is sitting with his dad at a table eating and 2 young men in their twenties whisper to the 12 year old "hey kid you looking for autographs?" The 12 year old says "Of Course" The young men point to an older gent at the bar, kind of hunch over, balding, with a blue cardigan sweater on and say “that's Eddie Matthewsâ€. This starry eyed youngster could not comprehend how a great such great player as he could look so average in street clothes and was thinking he was being setup for an embarrassment. He looks at his father and asks what he thinks and his father is unsure as well. The youngster gets up the courage to go over and ask and sure enough it was the future Hall of Famer.

A short while later none other than Stormin’ Normin' Cash walks in and sits at a table and is quickly surrounded by barflys making access to him nearly impossible. The youngster's only option is to ask the waitress if she would mind getting an autograph from Mr. Cash and she obliges as does he. Denny Mclain, as much was his MO in those days did not show , but it did not tarnish the memory of that 12 year olds most fondest baseball memory

Here's a link to the box score

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...96809190.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    Here a pic I took of the place around 97' I think it was closed by then.
    It was still open in '97. My union office was nearby. We used to go there for dinner after meetings. That was through at least 1999. The first time I went was after the Freedom Festival fireworks one year in the early 90s. After driving downtown, my friends & I thought it would be good place to hang out & drink until all the crowds & traffic cleared out. They did have great burgers.

mtm-My Dad worked on the 8th floor of the Bell addition in long distance switching, he started with Bell in 1941, went into the service from 1942-1945, came back and went over to AT&T in 1968. He retired in April of 1986. He was active in CWA Local 4050.
    My Mom was an operator at Bell, they met there in 1955, she [[later) was a supervisor and went back to work there after I was born, then quit working when I was about 2 years old.

I know it was open in 2001 because that's when I started working in the city and I remember going there for lunch several times.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    It was still open in '97. My union office was nearby. We used to go there for dinner after meetings. That was through at least 1999. The first time I went was after the Freedom Festival fireworks one year in the early 90s. After driving downtown, my friends & I thought it would be good place to hang out & drink until all the crowds & traffic cleared out. They did have great burgers.
    I was there with my future wife in 2001 or 2002. The then-Fox hockey crew were there eating because they were covering a Wings playoff game the next day or night [[can't remember if it was a weekday or weekend). Met with the shorter bald announcer who kind of looked like the figure skater Scott Hamilton [[I don't think it was Sean McD). Anyway, we talked to them for awhile. That's a really good story.

56packman,

Starting out, our computer room was on the 8th floor right near a switching room. Especially on the off shifts when there weren't many folks around, we got to know the switching technicians pretty well. A year or so later, we moved to, if I remember correctly the 11th floor. Funny thing about the old Bell Building was that restrooms alternated by floor. One floor had a ladies' and the next a men's. Back then could smoke inside buildings [[shocking!) but NEVER in computer rooms because a particle of smoke could crash a hard drive. But a run to the lav was almost exactly 1/2 smoke.

Zitro,

Great story. Have heard that McClain Mantle story many times and always enjoy hearing it. Didn't believe it at first but it does match up with the box score because the follow-up to that story is Joe Pepitone watching Mantle getting an easy one from the on-deck circle and motioning to Denny for a fat one right over the plate once he got up to bat. Of course, McClain then throws one right up in Pepitone's face. What a great story to have under your belt, particularly the part about seeing Norm Cash in Lindell's. After a ballgame as we were leaving Tiger Stadium I would also look out over to Lindell's to see if I could see Cash entering the bar. The place is on my personal list of best bars of all-time.

Quote Originally Posted by 56packman View Post
    mtm-My Dad worked on the 8th floor of the Bell addition in long distance switching, he started with Bell in 1941, went into the service from 1942-1945, came back and went over to AT&T in 1968. He retired in April of 1986. He was active in CWA Local 4050.
    My Mom was an operator at Bell, they met there in 1955, she [[later) was a supervisor and went back to work there after I was born, then quit working when I was about 2 years old.
    I might have met your dad ... I worked on the 8th floor in the Bell Addition [[445 State) too ... on the 082 frame and the private line board starting in late 1984 through about 1987. Moved around the building after that but still worked on 8 from time to time until I left there in 1991. Most of the analog circuits on 8 had moved down to the digital frames on 6 by then.

One of the best threads from the old forum http://atdetroit.net/forum/messages/...tml?1183221605

you need to read the whole thing because it is very involved ... ray1936 describes a troupe of midget strippers that caused a small riot when they jumped on the pool table for a little impromptu entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by xD_Brklyn View Post
    Zitro,

Great story. Have heard that McClain Mantle story many times and always enjoy hearing it. Didn't believe it at first but it does match up with the box score because the follow-up to that story is Joe Pepitone watching Mantle getting an easy one from the on-deck circle and motioning to Denny for a fat one right over the plate once he got up to bat. Of course, McClain then throws one right up in Pepitone's face. What a great story to have under your belt, particularly the part about seeing Norm Cash in Lindell's. After a ballgame as we were leaving Tiger Stadium I would also look out over to Lindell's to see if I could see Cash entering the bar. The place is on my personal list of best bars of all-time.
    xD

I forgot about the Pepitone buzz clip. It was hard to tell at the time all that was really going on. I was still elated for being able to say I saw Mickey Mantle hit a home run in person. Funny thing about this game is as time has worn on, I believe the figure for people who claim to have actually been at this game is now around 250,000 or so, The legend lives on

I was introduced to the Lindell by the staff at WDIV when I interned there in the early 1980's. GREAT burgers and screwdrivers that packed a punch. Sonny Eliot hung out there, of course. I remember hearing the story that Dan Mountney came in one night to show off his new car he just picked up from the dealership. His buds followed him out to the parking lot to take a look. Yep, you guess it. It was gone.

The Lindell Lives [[in Waterford):
    The BRAND NEW 'Lindell Athletic Club' is opening and is now hiring for ALL hourly positions!
    [[bartenders, servers, hosts/hostesses, cooks, dishwashers, bussers)
    The Lindell AC Sports Pub
    3150 Elizabeth Lake Rd.
    Waterford, MI 48328
    [[248) 683-3355
    http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/fbh/2015007322.html

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Got forcibly shoved out the door there once by Andre, of "Jimmy B and Andre" fame when some very drunk jerk of a local newsman [[who maybe only older Detroiters will remember) .
    Doc Greene?

Nope, this was after Doc Greene [[who was primarily a habitue of the original Anchor Bar) died. This was a TV newsguy of the '70s who was a pretty infamous drinker downtown, and, like I said, may only be remembered now by old-time Detroiters.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast