Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default School on 14th street near MCS: closed or open?

I was looking on Google maps the other day and finally found a name for the building St. Vincent De Paul, now I've been by the building and it has boards over the front door, but a quick Google search says as of 2/2009 the building is still open for school.

Question: is it still a functioning school, or has it closed recently?

Just curious

Thanks!

Long time since it has been open... Hard to have a school next to the abandoned warehouse not to mention almost all catholic schools in the city are closed...

Right, that's what I thought, I just can't explain why the website still says its open....

http://www.privateschoolreview.com/s...chool_id/14571

Though now that I look at this, it looks like it's all user based and not all fact based, but nowhere does it say closed

The 1928-29 R.L. Polk Detroit City Directory lists St. Vincent DePaul School as being on the SE corner of 14th and Daizelle. Unless the building you're looking at was built after that.

Maybe they moved half a block? Or if I'm misinterpreting you, then it's the same building.

Attachment 4242

The original Elementary school stands as described in the Polk. This building was built as a middle or high school wasn't built until the 40's I believe. The original church and school were torn down in the 60's.

I did a real drive by today and it's definitely empty, every doorway is boarded or chained up and has blankets and remnants of homeless camps.

There is a banner on the west side of the building saying something about Latino English something or other [[I can't remember).

According to this:
    http://www.ihmsisters.org/www/media/.../StVincent.pdf
    the school remained open as a middle school until 2002.