Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

DetroitDad Guest

Default Strange Lights in Vacant Buildings...

I have seen lights on in various floors in the past few days on the David Whitney, United Artist, Stott Tower, 1001 Woodward, and Grand Moose Lodge. Exciting! I wounder what is up?

Stott and 1001 are not completely vacant. Work has been going on inside 1001 since this summer, at a slow pace. Hard to tell what their doing, but some of the upper floors have been revamped, and some more space is being used

Lights have always been on in the Whitney building. Especially the atrium lobby. Even the neon lighting on the 3rd and 4th levels along the retail entrances has been turned on and cast blue and red glows to the exterior windows from time to time, though the last time was back in 07 I recall seeing it.

From what most of us can tell, work has been going on at the United Artists Building/Theatre for the better part of two years, beginning with a new roof in 2007... Pictures have been surfacing dated from late 2008 into June 2009 showing the auditorium has been cleaned up... some of those can be found on Flickr. There are a number of rumors out there that suggest a major renovation of the building is either imminent or may even be underway, but the Ilitches and their contractors are mum on this as always. Lights on the ground floor have been on regularly for quite a while now and can be seen on upper floors occasionally. Rumor is, that they have a government related tenant, and will renovate the office building for them. As for the theatre, one rumor suggests they are renovating this too, as they have reportedly been seeking bids for plaster work, which originally decorated the auditorium.

Here's the trick of Detroit.
    First floor is occupied, restaraunt, bar, retail...maybe the 2nd floor has an art gallery, leave a few lights on throughout the bldg. to make it seem occupied then when people drive by it looks like a real city.

Quote Originally Posted by tallboy66 View Post
    Here's the trick of Detroit.
    First floor is occupied, restaraunt, bar, retail...maybe the 2nd floor has an art gallery, leave a few lights on throughout the bldg. to make it seem occupied then when people drive by it looks like a real city.
    I am not positive about the Stott, but all of the other buildings listed on this thread are totally empty. David Whitney, totally empty, lights occasionally on though; United Artist, possibly under renovation; 1001 Woodward, no ground floor retail, possible renovations on upper floors, and Grand Moose Lodge, vacant.

Isn't there a pizza place on the ground floor of 1001 Woodward?

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Isn't there a pizza place on the ground floor of 1001 Woodward?
    Bellacino's.

Lorax Guest

Does anyone think the owners of 1001 would rent the banking floor with all that gorgeous white marble to me? I could slide one of my businesses in there if the price was right.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorax View Post
    Does anyone think the owners of 1001 would rent the banking floor with all that gorgeous white marble to me? I could slide one of my businesses in there if the price was right.
    I would have to imagine any cash flow would be better than none.

Took me far too long to realize that the 1001 Woodward you're all talking about is the First Federal Building.

Goodness, I'm old.

Vertical flea market?

Lorax Guest

No, but a space like the banking lobby of 1001 would visually be ideal for a store specializing in high-end mid 20th century furniture and lighting. As long as the price is right, and they make it easy to business there.

I drove by all those empty buildings in my Honda on the way to Walmart and laughed at them, too. Lucky for me, I still have my job, so it's all good.

There were lights on on various floors of the David Stott Tower yesterday afternoon around 3:30. Luckily that one is not completely dark.

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    I drove by all those empty buildings in my Honda on the way to Walmart and laughed at them, too. Lucky for me, I still have my job, so it's all good.
    Since the closest Walmart is at least 10 miles from any of those buildings... we're laughing too.... at your dimentia...