Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

tight jeans and pbrs were commonplace out on the farm long before hipsters were born-i don't get it

I've lived in Royal Oak for about 30 years now and in my view it is pretty lame and mostly soulless. Moving Arts, Beats, and Creeps away from the northern suburbs probably means there will fewer of the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    Notice I didn't say Royal Oak was the only hipster magnet around.
    i dont think it's the only or the biggest. sure, it has American Apparel, but thats cos its a more viable place for a store like that, statistically, than in a Detroit district. I'd say places like North Cass, Eastern Market, Woodbridge and Corktown have more hipsters... even Hamtramck.

Also, I wouldnt call RO a "bustling a vibrant city"... first off, thats only the few square block downtown, not really a "city" if u ask me. Most of RO is suburban. But Royal Oak thinks it's a city, hense why i call it Royal Joke/Royal Hoax

This may be an example of urban sprawl slowing or reversing. This festival is moving from an outer city to an inner ring suburb closer to the region's center.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    k.

Also, I wouldnt call RO a "bustling a vibrant city"... first off, thats only the few square block downtown, not really a "city" if u ask me. Most of RO is suburban. But Royal Oak thinks it's a city, hense why i call it Royal Joke/Royal Hoax
    Unfortunately for the region, that "few square block downtown" is more vibrant, occupied, safe and active than almost any equivalent sized area in the entire City of Detroit.

How many blocks of downtown does Detroit have? The rest is neighborhoods. Don't be a snob. Or so silly.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    i dont think it's the only or the biggest. sure, it has American Apparel, but thats cos its a more viable place for a store like that, statistically, than in a Detroit district. I'd say places like North Cass, Eastern Market, Woodbridge and Corktown have more hipsters... even Hamtramck.

Also, I wouldnt call RO a "bustling a vibrant city"... first off, thats only the few square block downtown, not really a "city" if u ask me. Most of RO is suburban. But Royal Oak thinks it's a city, hense why i call it Royal
    Joke/Royal Hoax
    Royal Oak is definitely a city; a small city. The neighborhoods closer to downtown have a housing stock and ambience reminiscent of how many Detroit areas were before devastation -- 1920s single-family homes, shade trees, walkability, etc. Most of RO is like that. There are some areas with '40s and '50s Cape Cods and ranches -- but you can find neighborhoods like that in Detroit too.

It's an old inner-ring suburb but with its own downtown. I don't think you can lump it in with Sterling Heights, Warren, Troy, or Auburn Hills.

I never understand how some people even consider Detroit to be anything other than a large collection of suburban-style neighborhoods. Front yard, back yard and house in-between. That is not an urban environment. Detroit does have a small handful of areas that have the same urban style housing density that Chicago or New York has ... places like the southern end of Palmer Park, a block or two on the Indian Village fringe, near Wayne State and downtown ... maybe a one or two others ... but look at Rosedale Park, the Airport Sub, Berry sub, Indian Village, Green Acres, Sherwood Forrest ... all single family homes with a couple of duplexes here and there. Just like Grosse Pointe Park, Birmingham, RO and Trenton.

To claim that Detroit has the kind of vast swaths of housing stock that typifies places like Chicago's Wicker Park, Rodgers Park, Boys Town, Lincoln Park ... strains credulity. I love Detroit but I ain't buying anyone's claim that the majority of its housing is urban.

That is why it is a head scratcher when dipshits spew their urban palming 101 textbook hooey that a place like RO isn't a "city" because it has lawns. Get real. One of detroit's previous claims to fame was that it had more single family houses than anywhere in America. It served as proof that the Union movement and Union wages built a solid middle class. Where a sheet metal stamper could own his own home. Raise his kids, grow some tomatoes and live in peace.

That's Detroit. That is what it promised and you see that promise in the tattered remains of those once proud neighborhoods. Neighborhoods, not superblocks like on Roosevelt Island in NYC.

Moreover to piss on RO is to piss on the dream of owning your own place and having a place to raise your kids and your tomatoes. RO or Ferndale or Birmingham didn't spring to reality in the fall of 1967. Those places where almost entirely built out by 1960, Ferndale [[ originally called UrbanRest) by 1940. And they were built using the exact same plan that Detroit used: front yard, back yard and a house in-between.

I ain't no RO fan, but for a vibrant vibe ... I'll stack RO against Greek 1/2 block any day of the week.

The reality is that ABE exists because not everyone in the world is jazz fan and not everyone loves the drama that comes with going to Detroit. Detroit takes work to love. You have to blind yourself to all of its shittyness or you leave. The garrish paint jobs on party stores, the tagging, the bums, the trash, the store signage that SCREAMS AND SCREAMS AND SCREAMS. It is obnoxious.

Go to Birmingham and all of their benches, sign posts, newspaper boxes, parking meters ... everything is painted green. Nothing clashes, it is harmonious; store signage can't be too large, can't flash, ... the result is that it is easy to chill in that town. You want to park and shop? You can park for FREE for the first two hours in one of the parking decks, same for RO. That makes life easy. In Detroit you're at the mercy of parking meter sharks and $3.00 minimums in the decks.

jeeze

Stosh Guest

Thanks for that. Common sense thinking, finally.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MotownSpartan View Post
    This may be an example of urban sprawl slowing or reversing. This festival is moving from an outer city to an inner ring suburb closer to the region's center.
    I'll believe that when L Brooks moves the county seat to RO or environs.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    I never understand how some people even consider Detroit to be anything other than a large collection of suburban-style neighborhoods. Front yard, back yard and house in-between. That is not an urban environment. Detroit does have a small handful of areas that have the same urban style housing density that Chicago or New York has ... places like the southern end of Palmer Park, a block or two on the Indian Village fringe, near Wayne State and downtown ... maybe a one or two others ... but look at Rosedale Park, the Airport Sub, Berry sub, Indian Village, Green Acres, Sherwood Forrest ... all single family homes with a couple of duplexes here and there. Just like Grosse Pointe Park, Birmingham, RO and Trenton.

To claim that Detroit has the kind of vast swaths of housing stock that typifies places like Chicago's Wicker Park, Rodgers Park, Boys Town, Lincoln Park ... strains credulity. I love Detroit but I ain't buying anyone's claim that the majority of its housing is urban.

That is why it is a head scratcher when dipshits spew their urban palming 101 textbook hooey that a place like RO isn't a "city" because it has lawns. Get real. One of detroit's previous claims to fame was that it had more single family houses than anywhere in America. It served as proof that the Union movement and Union wages built a solid middle class. Where a sheet metal stamper could own his own home. Raise his kids, grow some tomatoes and live in peace.

That's Detroit. That is what it promised and you see that promise in the tattered remains of those once proud neighborhoods. Neighborhoods, not superblocks like on Roosevelt Island in NYC.

Moreover to piss on RO is to piss on the dream of owning your own place and having a place to raise your kids and your tomatoes. RO or Ferndale or Birmingham didn't spring to reality in the fall of 1967. Those places where almost entirely built out by 1960, Ferndale [[ originally called UrbanRest) by 1940. And they were built using the exact same plan that Detroit used: front yard, back yard and a house in-between.

I ain't no RO fan, but for a vibrant vibe ... I'll stack RO against Greek 1/2 block any day of the week.

The reality is that ABE exists because not everyone in the world is jazz fan and not everyone loves the drama that comes with going to Detroit. Detroit takes work to love. You have to blind yourself to all of its shittyness or you leave. The garrish paint jobs on party stores, the tagging, the bums, the trash, the store signage that SCREAMS AND SCREAMS AND SCREAMS. It is obnoxious.

Go to Birmingham and all of their benches, sign posts, newspaper boxes, parking meters ... everything is painted green. Nothing clashes, it is harmonious; store signage can't be too large, can't flash, ... the result is that it is easy to chill in that town. You want to park and shop? You can park for FREE for the first two hours in one of the parking decks, same for RO. That makes life easy. In Detroit you're at the mercy of parking meter sharks and $3.00 minimums in the decks.

jeeze
    That is one of the best posts I've read on this forum in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post

jeeze
    *standing ovation*

And of course, LA is even more suburban-esque than Detroit.

gnome nails it.These old sprawl towns,RO,Ferndale,Farmington and yes even Pontiac,were cities just like Detroit back in the day.They were mini-Detroits with their own industries,schools,shopping districts and in Pontiacs case,a bus service.There are people on this site whose forefathers and mothers came to this area and never lived in Detroit.But we do want Detroit to suceed,to have good schools,have its citizens literate and productive.And I do want the same for Pontiac,which has all of Detroits problems.ABE was almost all we had and they screwed it up big time.,to get back on subject.

Great post gnome

interesting, at least one person will protest the recent decision to allow open-gun-toting at the festival..

http://www.freep.com/article/2010081...ot-gun-at-fest

what trips me out is, this event isn't even in urban detroit, and the Soccer-Dad Police-Auxiliary still feel justified in loading for bear..

LodgeDodger Guest

I love Royal Oak. I would move there in a second if I could. I was thrilled to learn ABE was moving to RO. I don't care for Pontiac.

I can't wait to see the Howling Diablos and Thornetta Davis. YEAH!

LOL! I was thinking that too. They best stop that bullet Amtrak that goes thru RO that day lest someone drunk wander too close and get their sketchers, or milano shoes ripped off the back of their heels....!

OH! And where to PARK!? Royal Oak is going to make a killing financially in parking tickets and over the limit parking meters. I think I'll catch the Smart bus if I go!
    Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    i can't see it in RO. Where? at least in pontiac you had phoenix center for decent bands. it will be lame and annoying as hell for anyone who lives there.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-16-10 at 09:48 PM.

Howling and TD do make me want to go! Nice music!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    I love Royal Oak. I would move there in a second if I could. I was thrilled to learn ABE was moving to RO. I don't care for Pontiac.

I can't wait to see the Howling Diablos and Thornetta Davis. YEAH!

At least it should mean a nice overtime payoff for the RO police, as they will be obliged to redouble their efforts at the festival in order to make sure nobody suffers an alcohol-induced heat stroke and starts something. On the other hand, it should mean fewer people will be in attendance, what with all of the gun-toting, which may even out the need for more officers. In case I haven't made it clear, no way in hell would I volunteer the go hang around a place full of gun-toting people.

Royal Oak, it's the perfect place to raise your nuclear family!

LOL! That photo is a riot! Nice youth model Bantam 20 G 500 Mossberg pump the teen girl is holding! No wait that a full sizer!
    Quote Originally Posted by fryar View Post
    At least it should mean a nice overtime payoff for the RO police, as they will be obliged to redouble their efforts at the festival in order to make sure nobody suffers an alcohol-induced heat stroke and starts something. On the other hand, it should mean fewer people will be in attendance, what with all of the gun-toting, which may even out the need for more officers. In case I haven't made it clear, no way in hell would I volunteer the go hang around a place full of gun-toting people.

Royal Oak, it's the perfect place to raise your nuclear family!

YAY!! GUNS!!! For Royal Oak residents, let me apologize for the stupid decision that the City Commission has taken.

Too bad. I was thinking of going to see how it works there, but now, I think I will stay home and play music and put up some 'cue on my own.

Note that many of these same people citing the 14th amendment as gospel protecting their federal gun rights in this instance over any local municipalities' ordinance will be first in line trying to have the citizenship clause of that very same amendment changed in the upcoming debate.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    YAY!! GUNS!!! For Royal Oak residents, let me apologize for the stupid decision that the City Commission has taken.

Personally I think this is a lot about nothing....I would imagine that you may not even see anyone carrying. What about all the youths that are carrying illegal under their shirts? I am guessing nothing will happen. Every day you encounter someone who is carrying, and are not aware of it.
    Go have some fun, and ignore the all the "chicken littles" who claim that it will be like the Ok Coral.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    Note that many of these same people citing the 14th amendment as gospel protecting their federal gun rights in this instance over any local municipalities' ordinance will be first in line trying to have the citizenship clause of that very same amendment changed in the upcoming debate.
    I'd have to agree. How many tea-baggers do you think have those "out of my cold dead hands" stickers on their cars, yet are at the same time crying for a repeal of the automatic citizenship for anyone born here.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast