Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8

Some offensive posts have been removed from this thread which has deviated from its topic and is trailing off in to politics that best be discussed on non-Detroit. He / she hit me first is not an excuse for returning bad manners. So please keep this thread on topic and civil.

Gun ownership rights is one of those issues that seems to bring out deep passions on both POV's but moving those opinions to personal attacks is not the answer and can not be allowed. Besides, such actions greatly diminish the arguments of those who make them.

For the record I am a life-long gun owner.

I understand this is a big Detroit story and if you wish to continue its discussion, please start another thread with title something like Open Gun Carry at Arts Beats and Eats.

Can we all get along now and talk about the subject of this thread?

Sorry, Lowell, for ruining this thread with the off topic opinions I have expressed, but I, too, have been advocating another thread for many a post. Apparently, nobody wants to back down and be logical, myself included, but you are more than correct that it should be moved to Non-Detroit if those issues not relevant to this topic want to be discussed.

Res

Gnome-

What you said is completely true, although I had nothing to do with any of the accusations leveled about me. And indeed it does stink, doesn't it? People should really think before they post pictures of themselves to the internet, and some folks don't have the logical sense they were born with. Instead they blame others for their inability to understand that they area atarget for what they have done to themselves.

As far as A, B & E is concerned, it appears that it has been its own worst enemy and needs to consider the consequences of holding such a large event in such a compressed space as RO is.

Perhaps better planning or a more accessable location would be a better venue.

Res

As I just posted on the non-detroit side, we didn't have a very good time, way too many people and the streets are so narrow, it's hard to do anything but stand in a crowd trying to get anywhere.

Screw Royal Oak and their ripping people off for parking and water. They are a bit much of themselves. They don't know it or are in denial, but they too ,soon enough will be a ghetto and down the tubes, no better than Highland Park. They need to wake up,and quit taking advantage of the public. Just like their parking tickets for permit only $50.00 if paid within 72 hours or the fine goes up to $100.00 . They pull this same shit during the cruise. Well if you don't want people to park there, don't have these attractions I say. Let someplace else have them, that may appreciate the public coming to spend their money. Screw! Royal Oak

LodgeDodger Guest

We were ticked about the $15 for parking. We complained about it to each other and decided next time to use one of the shuttles.

We were there to see the Howling Diablos and weren't disappointed.

I must admit, I hate those food and beverage tickets. Ugh.

We did have a great night. I love those guys.

Eat a snack before going - take shuttle - eat again 'elsewhere' after the event was the move for me. I hate stupid lines for expensive 'food' tickets where you always end up one ticket short of meal.... Rip off delux!
    Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    We were ticked about the $15 for parking. We complained about it to each other and decided next time to use one of the shuttles.

We were there to see the Howling Diablos and weren't disappointed.

I must admit, I hate those food and beverage tickets. Ugh.

We did have a great night. I love those guys.

bartock Guest

4th Street from I-75 through Cambell and all the way to those hideous looking newer apartments east of ACO and CVS [[not that middle lot) where the boulevard starts was free parking all weekend. Really not a bad walk at all, considering it cost $15 to park two blocks closer. Very congested on Friday night, but I thought it was great. Except for a couple of conspicuously empty storefronts, Washington Blvd. retail looked great, even at night.

DC48080 Guest

I found this hilarious Royal Oak video. Enjoy.

http://vimeo.com/13319579

Sounds like a great time, but I've been doing the Jazz Fest all weekend. It's too bad that the two events aren't different weekends.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    4th Street from I-75 through Cambell and all the way to those hideous looking newer apartments east of ACO and CVS [[not that middle lot) where the boulevard starts was free parking all weekend. Really not a bad walk at all, considering it cost $15 to park two blocks closer. Very congested on Friday night, but I thought it was great. Except for a couple of conspicuously empty storefronts, Washington Blvd. retail looked great, even at night.
    I got my Washingtons mixed up. Of course, Royal Oak's isn't a boulevard.

I agree with English, although I try to do both. I enjoyed ABE much more when it was in Pontiac. It wasn't as compact...more room to move around..and I always brought my own water. When I complained, as one poster already indicated, that "it's insane I can bring a gun in but not water," the lady at the gate replied, "Well, this is Royal Oak." The crowds yesterday were overwhelming in the afternoon. In fact, they were making people wait to get in until a significant number left. Maybe they can expand the site next year and review some of their policies.

By the way, I enjoy the diversity of the Hamtramck Festival and I am glad that the two young women noted in the news have been successful in keeping it going.

The real Labor Day weekend joy for me is always the Detroit Jazz Festival. It is relaxing, soothing and great for people watching. It always signals the end of Summer for me, but does so in a positive way.

Missed ABE. Jazz Festival was great. Good to see many diverse festivals across the area had good turn outs.

Sounds like the biggest crime at this event was the prices.

I also went. Was my first time to that festival ever. I thought the streets were too narrow for the amount of people. The lines for food stretched into the center of the street where the crowd was trying to walk causing multiple bottle necks. Liked the variety of food but only had an "ok" stuffed pizza slice. I worked the math for the tickets and they were about .63 cents each. Food was 4-9 tickets and beer was 9. So I guess typical prices for festival food. We hit a couple bars afterwards and overall had a good time. Oh and the cold and wind sucked!

LodgeDodger quote:
    [[...we were there to see the Howling Diablos...we love those guys...)

We love 'em, too. Saw them on one of our first dates, at the Bear's Den. They were scheduled to play the Hamtramck Festival, for free.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8