Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Granderson Traded

I know I'm probably pretty close to alone on this, but I think it's a good move.

Granderson is not a leadoff hitter, which we need. He's solid and it's a major loss but what we get back is needed

Jackson is not that big of a loss in my opinion. I think second half Jackson is more the true Jacksoin

Scherzer and Schlereth are the real deal and Austin Jackson could make us forget Curtis pretty quickly. Coke is a solid lefty arm that we need now with Lyon gone

I'm with you. This is a very good trade for a lot of reasons. Jackson sounds very similar to the prospect that was Granderson 5 yrs ago. No outstanding tools but does everything well. Hopefully he will continue to hit .300 with 20-25 stolen bases and fewer strikeouts than Granderson. If we had a leadoff hitter and could have dropped Granderson to 5 or 6 in the order things might be different. Not only does this give us pitching depth, but it makes the team younger, along with Sizemore, and reduces payroll. Next year when all the dead weight comes off the books there may be some money to add one or two free agents. The team could not afford to drop to last place and rebuild if they hope to resign Verlander.

Jackson has already hit his ceiling according to all my friends who are Yankee Fans. We got ripped off

Granderson was a pleasure to watch play defense but the fact is he was a .249 leadoff hitter with 141 strikeouts. If I had to watch him hit 200 more ground balls to the second baseman this year I'd go crazy. If Jackson has "peaked" as a .300 hitter at AAA, he may still be better than Granderson.

Fuck the Tigers. Granderson should have never been in the leadoff spot in the first place. Terrible move getting rid of him.

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by d.mcc View Post
    Jackson has already hit his ceiling according to all my friends who are Yankee Fans. We got ripped off
    Jackson has not yet appeared as a Yankee, and even if he had, anybody who says that a 22-year-old athlete has "hit his ceiling" is a fuckin' idiot.

But then, you did specify: "Yankee Fans."

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    Jackson has not yet appeared as a Yankee, and even if he had, anybody who says that a 22-year-old athlete has "hit his ceiling" is a fuckin' idiot.

From everything I have heard, his ceiling is much lower than Grandersons and he's already reached it. I don't mind losing a player, I just don't understand why we can never get adequate compensation in return. It's like the Pudge/Farnsworth deal. The Yankees desperately need a catcher, and all you can lift from them is the shitty Kyle Farnsworth???

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post

Well put, good sir.

I'll take a 'wait and see' attitude on this one. However, I did enjoy watching Granderson's enthusiasm and big smile. He reminded me so much of Lou Whittaker!

blksoul_x Guest

Here is kind of a philosophical look at the Granderson issue.

Granderson was much needed a few years back as the Tigers were trying to rebuild the face of 'Tiger baseball' from multiple years of horrific baseball over at Copa.

Now it's time to move forward and piece together some attitudinal players with high skill and swagger. Curtis Granderson worked hard in his years as a Tiger to become a more the mediocre player. What we got was a player, [[not a leader), at the top of his game, a career 240 hitter that can't hit left hand players. To be sure, we should all respect him for representing Detroit's going to work attitude. However, simply 'going to work' don't cut it in the current day times of 'championship' teams.

I believe Mr. Ilitch understand that having a team full of 'nice guys' ain't gonna cut it in these current times. So then, the urgency to wash away many of the Tigers past nice-guy starters, like Granderson, etc, and replace them with fiery young 'leaders' will promote positive action on game day. A few more 'Bad Boys' to go with attitudes like Cabrara, Verlander, and Ryan, and we will soon forget about the Mr. 'all community, going to work' players like Curtis Granderson etc.

'Bad-Boys' win, 'Good Guys' settle. Too many times, because the past current Tigers team lacked attitude, 'settled' for less.

blksoul_atcha!
    The BJL, the color you love to hate!

Ravine Guest

Curtis' career BA is .272.

As much as I despise baseball's inequity where the Yankees can stockpile and stockpile by throwing ungodly sick money at other teams' players, it pains me to call for a salary cap soon. They're the only major sport that still doesn't have one and will be the downfall of MLB is this trend is to continue.

I also hope when the Yankees come to town that when Curtis Granderson steps out onto the field, the Tiger faithful will give him a rousing round of applause for representing us so well and just being a stand up gentleman and all around good human being. The game [[and yes, it still is a game) needs more figures like him.

blksoul_x Guest

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post

The game [[and yes, it still is a game) needs more figures like him.
    No, I disagree, [[from a fan perspective), the game needs more figures like, Reggie Jackson, Ozzie Smith, Pete Rose, Barry Bonds, etc!

The 'game' suffers when we want the 'players' to be so-called 'role models'. The MLB is suffering from a lack of quality, skilled, 'character' players.

If you look at the other professional sports, [[specifically the big 3), they ride their hat, [[fan appeal), on high skilled 'character' players.

blksoul_atcha!
    The BJL, stay tuned!

Bad move. he seemed to pull them out of a slump many times. Got things started.

I also hope when the Yankees come to town that when Curtis Granderson steps out onto the field, the Tiger faithful will give him a rousing round of applause for representing us so well and just being a stand up gentleman and all around good human being. The game [[and yes, it still is a game) needs more figures like him.

Agreed, I will be one of those applauding. A gentleman he is.

Quote Originally Posted by blksoul_x View Post
    No, I disagree, [[from a fan perspective), the game needs more figures like, Reggie Jackson, Ozzie Smith, Pete Rose, Barry Bonds, etc!

The 'game' suffers when we want the 'players' to be so-called 'role models'. The MLB is suffering from a lack of quality, skilled, 'character' players. ]
    How is the game played any better when they're being played by players who are ~~~~~~~~~s? The game is played by people with skills. You want soap operas, watch "Days of Our Lives". Good healthy competition by two worthy opponents should be how the game is played. Having colorful characters yes, but they don't need to be hated by an opposing fan base for it to be good competition. I boo the opponent because they play against our players; I don't need them to be the scourge of society to be more hated or reviled. The competition played within the diamond, court, rink or field should be entertainment.

Watching an immature person like Chad Johnson berate his own teammates or hearing about Tiger Woods' indiscretions doesn't make their sport any better- unless you want to follow the tabloid dramas more so than the scoresheet.

And please explain how any sport is ruined by guys like Curtis Granderson- guys who have skill and are good caring people? He played hard for us, he hustled on every play and he was a great ambassador of the game. How did he ruin anyone's fan experience?

These are skilled professional ball players; they're not asking to be role models. It's the general public who wants to put that label on these guys because they're so desperately looking for role models other than being one themselves. Admire them for their skills on the playing surface and celebrate them if they also happen to do good deeds, but please don't look to these athletes to be your children's role models.

blksoul_x Guest

Watching an immature person like Chad Johnson berate his own teammates or hearing about Tiger Woods' indiscretions doesn't make their sport any better- unless you want to follow the tabloid dramas more so than the scoresheet.

And please explain how any sport is ruined by guys like Curtis Granderson- guys who have skill and are good caring people? He played hard for us, he hustled on every play and he was a great ambassador of the game. How did he ruin anyone's fan experience?

These are skilled professional ball players; they're not asking to be role models. It's the general public who wants to put that label on these guys because they're so desperately looking for role models other than being one themselves. Admire them for their skills on the playing surface and celebrate them if they also happen to do good deeds, but please don't look to these athletes to be your children's role models.
    Seriously Smogboy, can you honestly tell me, [[take your heart out of the mix), guys like Tiger Woods, Kobe Bryant, Chad Johnson, Micheal Ervin, Deon Sanders, Barry Bonds, Mohammad Ali, etc, [[so called trouble makers, or bad role models in their respective sport), do not make the sport better?

By the way, I never stated Granderson like players 'ruin' their respective sport, however, Granderson like players, don't win consistent hardware. They may be great for the so-called community or role models, and they may make a few spectacular plays, to be sure they are 'professionals' [[that comes with the territory), but these type of players don't transfer toward the main source of success of the team. They are no more than pieces toward the so-called puzzle, they are not the main source of the big winners. Big winners, come with character flaws, due to their hard-work and commitment to be nothing but the best in their sport.

I'd take the attitudinal players like the Bond's, Ali's, Deon's etc, any day rather than settle for the Granderson's, Inge's, Calvin's, B.Sanders's etc.,[[all so-called nice guys/role models), that may only guarantee the fan, seasons full of mediocrity__go figure!

blksoul_atcha!
    The BJL, stay tuned....

Seriously Smogboy, can you honestly tell me, [[take your heart out of the mix), guys like Tiger Woods, Kobe Bryant, Chad Johnson, Micheal Ervin, Deon Sanders, Barry Bonds, Mohammad Ali, etc, [[so called trouble makers, or bad role models in their respective sport), do not make the sport better?
    They make better side shows.

You've completely overlooked the fact that they were phenomenal athletes in their respective sports first. Now if you want to watch these guys and their circus acts before and after their performances, then you've missed why you came to watch them to begin with.

By the way, I never stated Granderson like players 'ruin' their respective sport, however, Granderson like players, don't win consistent hardware. They may be great for the so-called community or role models, and they may make a few spectacular plays, to be sure they are 'professionals' [[that comes with the territory), but these type of players don't transfer toward the main source of success of the team. They are no more than pieces toward the so-called puzzle, they are not the main source of the big winners. Big winners, come with character flaws, due to their hard-work and commitment to be nothing but the best in their sport.

I'd take the attitudinal players like the Bond's, Ali's, Deon's etc, any day rather than settle for the Granderson's, Inge's, Calvin's, B.Sanders's etc.,[[all so-called nice guys/role models), that may only guarantee the fan, seasons full of mediocrity__go figure!
    Just here in Detroit alone, I can rattle off a few guys like Yzerman and Dumars who were tops in their field, Hall of Famers, great people, dedicated and driven to win consistently. Tiger Woods was a phenomenal golfer that had a huge following before his indiscretions and has hardly made the game of golf any better since. If anything, some of these players have taken more away from the game than adding to it by being shunned, fined or suspended.

You're looking for the circus act, you want the WWE entertainment, the folly, the drama, and gnashing of teeth in hatred and disgust to the point of nearly forgetting why you watch the games to begin with. You want the human flaws in these athletes and are actively searching for them to supposedly make the game more interesting. Of course all of these sports are played by people with character, but why should we be deluded into following that if they're not top athletes to begin with? Does anyone remember the non All-Star players or third string athletes that have attitudes and are complete train wrecks??

So let's take this grocery store tabloid mentality out of the mix and remember what it is we tune into sports for to begin with. Performance first before false bravado and media hype.

Smogboy, what makes you say Blksoul doesn't recognize the guys on his list weren't phenomenal athletes? No one would deny that. And they undeniably grew the brand of their respective sports because they were also big personalities.

The guys on your list [[Yzerman, Dumars, Granderson) were just selling a different image. One type of image isn't inherently better than another. Nobody works harder than Chad Johnson. Pete Rose, idiot that he is, never had his heart questioned on the diamond. Ali's mental strength was what made him a trancendental sports figure.

So just because a guy plays up the "aw shucks" routine, or even if it's absolutely genuine, it doesn't make him a better teammate or more "dedicated to win constantly." Far from it.

As for Curtis, he was always a favorite of mine, but he seriously regressed in 2008 and 2009 when he should have been hitting his peak. But I'm not all that excited about what we got in return, or the DD's lack of direction this offseason. Looks like we're moving back towards our frugal [[losing) ways of the early 2000s.