Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: City Bird

Default City Bird

Has anyone had the chance to go to this new store on Canfield street near Cass? I loved the vintage clothing and all the Detroit items. It's def a welcome edition to the neighborhood!

City Bird was very impressive on Noel Night. The place was packed. Complimentary white wine at the door was a nice touch, along with the make-your-own holiday buttons.

This shop along with BoUL is a good destination to take out-of-towners for Detroit-themed trinkets [[in addition to Pewabic Pottery & Pure Detroit).

I stopped in there on Thursday night. While its a nice little store with a few interesting things they didn't really have all that much of a selection.
    I did like the plates with the street maps of Detroit on them.

I think the store is pretty great. It is fabulously laid out, and I appreciate that all of the items are handmade and most are mid-western. Looks like I have a great place in Detroit to buy Christmas presents this year--finally!

I bought some nice tea towels there - holiday gift. I didn't ask, but wonder if they plan to increase inventory. I liked the skyline tie they have.

Stopped in this week and picked up a nice something for someone. The xmas ornaments with a floating city skyline caught my eye, but went in a different direction. On the subject of inventory ... I might be wrong, but I bet they hand make everything. The record clocks, the map magnets, the soap, the plates ... all that stuff is made by our own AndyLynn.

Don't forget to check out all those great vintage Detroit postcards!

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    Don't forget to check out all those great vintage Detroit postcards!
    cha-ching!!

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    all that stuff is made by our own AndyLynn.
    I think his sister Emily [[Linn, by the way) plays a very big role with City Bird.

Quote Originally Posted by cloud_wall View Post
    I think his sister Emily [[Linn, by the way) plays a very big role with City Bird.
    Yeah, they make/design everything together.

Can't wait to check it out.

I am bummed that I haven't made it in yet...but from all reports this place is a hit.

I'd love to see this Emily take up the mantle set down by another generation's Emily...and resurrect the Say Nice Things About Detroit franchise.

Emily Gail has already said it would be alright. She seemed eager, actually.

One of my friends suggested the follow-up for today: Do Nice Things In [[and For) Detroit.

Although I don't think we've officially met, it seems Andy and the rest of the Linn family are doing just that...kudos and more!

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Although I don't think we've officially met, it seems Andy and the rest of the Linn family are doing just that...kudos and more!
    D'accord! The Linns are some of my favourite people. Their dad, Thom, was among those trying to save a corner of The Corner.

Re: the issue of the store being somewhat less stocked-- I bet Noel Night really cleared them out. It was crazy in there. Last time I went in [[a few days ago) they seemed to have gotten in more merch, and they seemed hard at work making more of their own stuff.