Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Historic fort Wayne Christmas Event

Sorry all for the late notice, but this Saturday from 3:00pm to 8:00pm, the Historic Fort Wayne Coalition will be hosting the second annual Christmas at the Fort night entitled "I'll be home for Christmas". An expanded venue is being presented this year with new and exciting interpretations incorporated into this years scenarios. Enjoy a walking tour of Christmas past and discover how being away from home during the years that our country was at war affected the men and their moral during the holiday season. Learn Christmas traditions of the American military from the 1860's, 1890's, 1901-1918 and the 1940's.

Last years event was a great success and helped to perpetuate many restoration and educational projects at the Fort. Please come out to the event and enjoy the atmosphere of the holidays from a perspective not many get a opportunity to see.

For more information go to www.historicfortwaynecoalition.com. the navigation bar on the left has a link to a map and other information on the event. PM me if you have any further questions.

See you at the Fort!

I forgot about this, thanks for the reminder. I will be going

Bump. The weather forecast for Saturday is for calm and a high of 30, practically a heat wave!

I will be there with a group of at least four people. I will be suggesting to them that they make an extra donation to the Coalition while we are there as well. I am driving so I have clout.

We would be there, but unfortunately we have a scheduling conflict with the GSCC Holiday Dinner. Hope the Event goes will for the Coalition and the Fort!

Kryptonite-

Thanks for the "strong-arming". We need it every once in a while!

Tomorrow looks to be cold but not as bad as it has been for the last few days. If you dress warmly, it should be alright as we will be stopping INSIDE the buildings along the route, all of which will be heated.

There will be fires along the way as well.

The tour will also go at a pretty "brisk pace", so warmth should be a relative thing.

We additionally have a golf cart to take anyone who can't make the walk without difficulty or gets too cold.

None the less, the show will go on!

Hope to see you at the Fort!

Bundling up to head to the Fort even as we speak. At least three DY members are serving as tour guides, the sun is gaining height to warm the Earth, and it's looking like a great day!

What PlymouthRes said, hope to see you there!

Thank you so much for all the Dyes'ers who made it out for the 2nd annual Christmas at the Fort!

Anyone who made it out, please write a review of what you thought of the event this year. We are always looking for ways to improve our event and would like to know what you think.!

Thanks again!

Subvet
    Historic Fort Wayne Coaition
    www.historicfortwaynecoalition.

I went, very interesting and will definately go again next year! Just wondering...was anyone from here at the 3:30 tour?

Went Saturday afternoon because I read about this in the morning. Took the four o'clock tour. This was a great history lesson and of course we thought of a bunch of questions to ask afterward. Already marked the summer dates on our 2010 calendar. The fires kept us warm and the volunteers were great! Thanks for doing this. Glad to see the fort in good hands and hoping for additional funding for you guys [[and the horses) in the new year.

Default Thank you detroit!

Thanks Dan and Zack! I certainly do appreciate your input and support, both for the Christmas at the Fort event and the future events.

We will definitely try to incorporate the horse/wagon next year. It unfortunately became quite a bottleneck area for the tour timing. However, we are drumming up ideas where it might be a full Fort Wayne complex riding tour for an additional fee. This would be offered as something to supplement the guided tour, or be an activity that someone could take without the tour. Again, just ideas at this point for next year.

As research and source legitimacy unfolds, we are going to also incorporate new types of living history interaction for the tours. The Fort Wayne caretaker [[approx 1849-1861) was a development from research of the lone man named John Henry, resident on River St [[now W Jefferson) who cared for the Fort for a decade. Also, included in his dialogue was the newer discover of the date that the original officer's barracks fire on November 19, 1849.

Thanks again for your support! As always, if there is more feedback or reviews, good or bad, PLEASE reply and send them along. All of them will be used for the benefit of the event and its successful development.

Warmest Regards,
    Subvet
    Historic Fort Wayne Coalition - Executive Secretary
    Christmas at the Fort 2008, 2009 - Historical Interpretation Lead

even more than visitors we need volunteers.
    i am a member of the grounds crew and we desperately need people who are reliable...or who know how to do small engine/lawn equipment repair...

please get involved...be more than just a visitor.
    http://www.historicfortwaynecoalition.com/involved.html
    this landmark is rapidly decaying and has only a handful of dedicated people trying to save it.

Just an update on my group's visit to Christmas in Fort Wayne. We arrived later than planned, so there was very little light remaining. We took the 4:30 tour, four of us attended. But in my opinion the evening hours were beautiful with the bonfires and candle lighting of the sally port tour and the old officer's quarters and the old jail. It was quite moving to be there at night. The barracks building was inspiring with the candles lighting each window in the upper stories. Great job, coalition folks. We plan to return next year and to attend the civil war days again summer 2010.

Thanks Kryptonite!

Glad you enjoyed the night/dusk tour. I always enjoy the Fort at night as well. The candle lighting of the 1848 barracks windows was a first for this year. We definitely plan on doing it from now on!

Can't wait to see you at some future events!

Subvet
    Historic Fort Wayne Coalition - Secretary
    Christmas at the Fort 2008, 2009- Historical Interpretation Lead