Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Where's that bomber?

Saw this passing by in the header.

A Lancaster bomber. But acording to the Wikipage of Lancasters there's only one example in the United States. And that one is in starage in Florida. So where was this picture taken? According to the wiki page there are only 17 examples left with two of the being airworthy. [[And seeing this beast fly by gives you goosebumps! I can tell you firsthand!)

Is this aricraft somewhere on display in the Detroit area?

Isn't that Lancaster bomber mounted in Dieppe Park in Windsor.

the bomber was in JACKSON park in windsor ...it sat there for about 40 years until the weather and elements forced the city to take it down. It has been down for about 5 years and is curently being restored to flying condition
    Last edited by HKYTWN; December-05-09 at 11:44 PM.

So that's one of the Canadian bombers. They have quite a few left. So that's Lancaster Mk 10P FM212.

Found it.

As wiki says, replaced by replicas of a Spitfire and Hurricane. Just the silhouet left.
    Last edited by Whitehouse; December-05-09 at 11:52 PM.

There is a flying Avro Lanc at the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum in Hamilton, Ontario. It has appeared a few times at the annual YAF air show in Ypsi.
    I remember way back in the 60's that that particular Lancaster was a static pedestal display at the Goderich airport, but after a lot of planning, money and hard work, it was removed and made a flyable aircraft again.
    I was told about 5 years ago that the Lanc in Jackson Park was going to be completely refurbished, but was not going to flyable status. AIW sent me some great photos when it was removed in a slow-moving process to its restoration place in Windsor. Maybe he can shed some light on the current state of the Jackson Park Lanc.

Quote Originally Posted by HKYTWN View Post
    the bomber was in JACKSON park in windsor ...it sat there for about 40 years until the weather and elements forced the city to take it down. It has been down for about 5 years and is curently being restored to flying condition
    It wasn't taken down five years ago. I remember seeing it in Jackson Park three years ago. It's currently in a hanger next to the Windsor Airport. They call the building the Canadian Warplane Museum, but if anyone went to check it out, it's not as big of a museum you'd expect.

It's being restored but for display purposes in the museum only. It's not going to fly.

http://www.lancfm212.ca

Here is more info, [[photos) mainly about the move from Jackson Park to the airport.

http://www.internationalmetropolis.com/?p=371