Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Bing maps, It's fantastic!!

[[Bigger version.)

Dunno how up to date the pictures are but at Bing maps the Tiger stadium is still standing and the Madison/Lennox is completely leveled. the above picture shows the lonely GAR building on top and almost nothing but vacant lot.

The obvious question is, was it al nessessary? [[Rhetorical, isn't it?)

Detroit in Bing.

See what interesting object you can find.

Some handy tools:
    Free image capture by Screenhunter.

Free image hoster, Tinypic.com

The images were photographed I believe in 2005, and Bing Maps under local.live.com were released in late 2005. Detroit was one of the first cities amongst a few others to have this feature. Over the past 4 years, I haven't seen many updates to the original cities, just the inclusion of less populated areas.

Some handy tools:

http://www.irfanview.com

Free image editor so you don't post images that are 1,378 pixels wide and 1.1Mb in size.

dharma4313 Guest

Some other poster mentioned Bing. It kicks. Off-nadir look shows the buildings better, and Granny's house, built 1923, still standing, nearest vacant lot or prairie at least four blocks away.

DetroitDad Guest

Can you still highlight areas and measure distances?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    Can you still highlight areas and measure distances?
    I think that's Google Earth.

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post
    I think that's Google Earth.
    You used to be able to save such projects in your private "Collections" on the old version. My collections appear to be gone. That feature is new on Google. It used to be that Google did not have those options, and Bing/Live Maps did.

Worth noting that the Chin Tiki, the building at Cass and Columbia, and the triangular building on Grand River you see here have all been knocked down by Ilitch for parking since this photo was taken.

Other buildings visible on Bing Maps that are now gone include the Donovan Building [[Motown HQ) at I-75 and Woodward, and the old Studebaker plant on Piquette near John R. Sometimes you have to rotate your view a couple times to see the building--in some angles, they're gone, and in others they're still there.

I said Madison Lenox in the first message, I meant to say the Statler hotel.

Steve Balmer was from Farmington... his dad worked in the auto industry... go Bing!

COOL!!!

Bing maps now really has overtaken Google maps. One of the great virtues of Google maps was Streetview. As of this weekend Bing maps now offers the same features. Panning from one location to another really feels like moving from a to b! A small flaw in the system is that there seems to be a blind spot when looking up, which is annoying.

And compare the two.

First Google streetview.

And now Microsoft's Bing.

Let's give the Lafayette Building center stage once more. Again, compare the two.

First Google.

And now Bing again.

AWESOME!!!

Go on sightseeing in Detroit!

Makes me wonder though, how did Microsoft's Bing make those pictures?? The camera is looking down on a bus! That must be at leest 3,5 meters high. Was this a cameratruck??!
    Last edited by Whitehouse; January-31-10 at 03:08 PM.

It looks like the streetside view was done this past spring
    Last edited by leland_palmer; January-31-10 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by leland_palmer View Post
    It looks like the streetside view was done this past spring

must be. The sidewalk covering on the UA building was still in place but as you can see in the last picture above the parking garage next to the Westin Cadillac Hotel is all but finished.

Bearinabox Guest

I'm not seeing the street view in Bing. How do you access it?

Makes me wonder though, how did Microsoft's Bing make those pictures?? The camera is looking down on a bus! That must be at leest 3,5 meters high. Was this a cameratruck??!
    You might try finding a building with reflective windows to see the truck's reflection. The camera might be mounted on an adjustable boom.

You have to download the new Beta version foe streetview. It only has the downtown area where Google maps have much more streetview coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    I'm not seeing the street view in Bing. How do you access it?

The icons on the bottom of the page.

Clearly self explanational.

You can drag the blue marker anywhere onto the map on which the streets are shown blue. That's one area where Google Streetview still has an edge, it's much a more wide network than Bing.

Quote Originally Posted by dodgemain View Post
    You have to download the new Beta version foe streetview. It only has the downtown area where Google maps have much more streetview coverage.
    I use Microsoft Internet explorer 8 and I didn't need to download additional software.

Microsoft has done a great job copying, again.

Bird's eye view is pretty good looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    You might try finding a building with reflective windows to see the truck's reflection. The camera might be mounted on an adjustable boom.

Found two answers.
    One. A regular SUV was used.
    Two. Reflection says spring 2006, but I think the pictures are much younger.

Resembles the Google mobiles. Also a boom on the roof.
    Last edited by Whitehouse; January-31-10 at 04:42 PM.

Bearinabox Guest

My main beef with Google is that the Detroit coverage is incomplete, so if Bing's is just downtown I'm not going to bother downloading it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    My main beef with Google is that the Detroit coverage is incomplete, so if Bing's is just downtown I'm not going to bother downloading it.

What are you talking about?? This is just a weblink. No additional software needed to see these pictures. It's not Google Earth you know.

Here, go and explore.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post
    What are you talking about?? This is just a weblink. No additional software needed to see these pictures. It's not Google Earth you know.

Here, go and explore.
    I clicked your link and was prompted to install a file.

Seems to be Spring 2009

Another date clue:
    Attachment 5094
    Last edited by Jimaz; March-21-10 at 02:51 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast