Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Talk about a bad dream...

I awakened from a dream this morning that had me scramble to the computer to assure myself that everything was fine [[well, as "fine" as things were yesterday, which is still pretty bad.) In the dream there was a HUGE fire at the RenCen. It ended up collapsing, ala the WTC. The dream was so detail that it ended with my picking up the News & Free Press, which both had all the pics & illustrations of the area.

The buzz everywhere was what would come next, which is the reason I'm posting this. We all know the Renaissance Center is a design that from the start was poorly accessible and lost money. If, God forbid, something were to happen to it [[in the dream the fire was accidental) how would it impact the city?

My thoughts were actually laid out in the dream [[which was frighteningly detailed.) GM was feared to leave the city entirely. They issued a statement that they had not had time to properly assess what they would do in light of losing their corporate HQ. The fear was the full-court press that Warren was already making to simply make the Tech Center their permanent HQ. The best solution seemed to be a combination of moving some workers to the Tech Center, and then filling unused office space downtown with the rest. Purchasing the old HQ on the Blvd from the state was also a possibility down the road.

As for the land south of Jefferson, no building effort was even being considered. It was simply to be cleared, with "Renaissance Park" being the most likely usage of the land.

Yes, I have strange dreams.

I want some of what you take! Just kidding.

Don't worry, I had an almost similar dream that I posted on Connect. Mine however, the middle tower of the RenCen collapsed without any of the four others surrounding it being touched. Of course, this was before the auto crisis last year. My belief, I predicted the near collapse of the domestic auto industry.

The Ren Cen... gone?

That's not a dream, it's a vision... and a pleasant one indeed.

Even though I've been retired for over 25 years from the DPD, I still occasionally dream that I'm at 1300 Beaubien; I'm getting off work; and I can't find where I parked my car. End up walking through Greektown and beyond with no luck.

Well, that's a lot better than the disappearance of the RenCen.

Interpreting it as the city of Detroit collapsing? I mean, it kind of has, but completely.