Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Pure Detroit's 11th Anniversary

For the past 11 years, Pure Detroit has been rocking the retail world in downtown Detroit — obviously not a very easy thing to do. They've got a big party coming up to celebrate at the Magic Stick on Friday, Dec. 11 — bands like the Silent Years, Phat Kat Big Band w/ Will Sessions and the Great Fiction are playing as well as artists showing like Cedric Tai, Tony Roko and Gwen Joy.

I remember the first time I entered the Guardian Building and bought myself a "Detroit Funk" t-shirt — it was like discovering some sort of hidden treasure. I always wondered where a lot of Detroit retail was, and I finally had found a little chunk of it. You guys got any fond memories of Pure Detroit or discovering "treasures of retail" around the city? Please share!

My first experience with Pure Detroit was at the Fisher Building. It was the first season that we had season tickets for the Fisher, and we got there a little early. We were walking around the first floor and found the store. They had these wonderful handbags made by Harvey that were manufactured out of seat belts. They were very cool, and I bought one that night. It's been a few years since then, but every time I use that bag, I get comments/compliments. The retail establishment that I used to work at, started carrying them after they saw my purse.

We first discovered Pure Detroit in their first location in the David Whitney Building. And we've followed them around to their other locations as well as to the various festivals they participate in. We always venture into the store or tent to say hi and sometimes pick up another tshirt or Detroitabilia. Whenever I give tours and am able to work in a stop at Pure Detroit, I certainly do so! Shawn and crew are great boosters of the city. Love to let them know that we appreciate them!!!

You're right Kathleen, their first place was in the David Whitney Bldg, in fact I think they were the last people to move out of there ... I remember they didn't have any heat or water for quite a while.

On WDET they had a little feature about them a couple weeks ago, and IIRC they will start hosting accoustic music concerts in the Guardian Building starting after the 1st of the year. Might be wrong about the exact details, as was only half listening, but the point of the interview was that the Guardian was going to start being more "event" friendly.

Gnome, that was when I first visited them when they were powerless at the Whitney Building....

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    ...and IIRC they will start hosting accoustic music concerts in the Guardian Building starting after the 1st of the year. Might be wrong about the exact details, as was only half listening, but the point of the interview was that the Guardian was going to start being more "event" friendly.
    Actually, that's already started. They held an event a few weeks ago that was a weird mixup of McClure's pickle tasting, Michael Zadoorian reading parts from his The Lost Tiki Palaces of Detroit book , Pumpkin Carving and music. Weird mix, but it all just felt right. And just before that, they had a couple of great bands play for a small crowd with Burlesque dancers. Now that was a real treat. Events with an odd twist are memorable, and I'm glad that they put it together. I had a great time.

And as far the the Guardian itself being more friendly... well, we'll see how that goes after January 4th when all the counth workers report to woark at their new office space.