Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Crossing the Border 1965

In 1965 my Dad was teaching Social Studies at Parkman Elementary in Detroit. For a Geography presentation he shot and edited this 4 minute 8 mm film of the Ambassador Bridge border crossing.
    Dad was a bit ahead of his time as he even recorded a narration that went along with the film on reel to reel audio tape. Unfortunately the audio reel did not survive. Dad loved going to Canada and wanted to share a little bit of it with the kids that perhaps never got a chance to cross the river. Since we recently had our family 8 mm archive digitized, I thought It appropriate to share this clip with the Detroit Yes forum.

Enjoy and Happy Holidays!

Leo B

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELeoJqlf50

Great film. Liked seeing those land cruisers from the 60's.
    Today the Customs folks would not appreciate being filmed.

That film had to have been made in late 1967[[at the earliest) as there's a teal colored 1968 Cadillac Coupe De Ville in one of the shots of traffic waiting to enter Canada[[along with several 1967 cars in other shots).Still an interesting film.
    Whenever we'd go to Canada to visit my uncle[[who married a Canadian woman) we'd be pulled aside and given a car inspection.Canadian customs didn't like the fact that my Dad's car carried only a dealer plate on it[[it was his demo from the Buick dealership where he was service manager).
    Last edited by KENSINGTONY; December-04-09 at 09:36 AM.

That's very cool. Thanks for posting. I'd love to get my family's old 8mm digitized some day. That guy with the boat near the end of the movie didn't look very happy about the hassle he was getting.

Leo B - thank you for posting this video. You surely have a treasure there. Thanks for the look back in time!

Leo B, thanks for posting this...

May I ask, where did you get your old film digitized?

Thanks for sharing Leo B

I would say it was shot in '67. There's what appears to be a 1967 license plate on the front of one of the cars. Lots of nice old iron in that one... I spotted a '62 Chev at 0:40, a '64 Ford at 0:44, a '64 Olds at 1:05 [[with the license plate visible), a '57 Plymouth and a '57 Merc at 1:10, a '65 Ford wagon at 2:15, a '65 or '66 Dodge Coronet at 2:19, a '58 Chev at 2:24, another '65 Ford at 2:39, a '65 Chev at 2:44, a mid-'60s Rambler at 2:52, a '66 Pontiac at 3:03, a '59 Chrysler coming through the toll gate at 3:08, and another mid-60s Dodge at 3:18.

This brings back lots of nice memories. When I was growing up, my family made this trip about once a month to visit friends in Windsor. Thanks for sharing this.

One thing that really struck me is the lack of semi trucks. Today they seem to outnumber the cars.

Fury13 that would be a 59 Plymouth at 1:10.

Quote Originally Posted by Jman View Post
    Fury13 that would be a 59 Plymouth at 1:10.
    Hmmm, trim down the side and shape of the rear fin indicates a '57 to me. I'll watch it again.

Pay particular attention to the shape of the fin as it was slightly changed in 59. Also the 57 only had two head lights and two smaller parking lights. 4 headlights came in 58.

I see an occasional station wagon, but there isn't a SUV in the entire clip. Amazing!

Great clip, Leo. Thanks a ton for sharing.

That Plymouth is a '57.

Pay particular attention to the shape of the fin as it was slightly changed in 59. Also the 57 only had two head lights and two smaller parking lights. 4 headlights came in 58.
    I know, but the front of that car appears like it has the smaller inner parking lights. Fin shape is deceiving from that angle too... I owned a '58 [[which was like the '57). I just don't recall side trim like that in '59...

Plus, the '59s had indents on the top of the front fenders on top of each headlight pair, and I don't see that in this clip.

You may be right, though... it's a fuzzy image at that distance.

Thanks for sharing this fantastic video. It brings back lots of memories. Mom and Dad had friends in Windsor and the surrounding area, so it wasn't unsual to take a Saturday or Sunday trip over the bridge [[or through the tunnel).

You are right Ray1936, and no pick-up's either, Who would have thought you could get a boat to the water without either a SUV or a Truck.

The Toll Rate has the price for auto's ,bikes, ambulance, and on up to bus! I guess Pickups were not a preferred choice of ride back then?

I see a price of 30 cents for bike's. I guess I owe a couple dollars to someone, I rode over on my bike a few times in the early 70's. never paid a thing.

Comparison, 1957-58-59 Plymouths:

I agree that it is awfully fuzzy but the fins immediately hit me as a 59. In Nov. 56 My Dad bought a 57. I was 16. That car saw a lot of Woodward Ave.

Well, one thing is for sure, it's a Plymouth with "The Forward Look".

I agree that it is awfully fuzzy but the fins immediately hit me as a 59. In Nov. 56 My Dad bought a 57. I was 16. That car saw a lot of Woodward Ave.

Well, one thing is for sure, it's a Plymouth with "The Forward Look".
    Yep. Those were some of the best-looking cars of all time, IMO.

1968: Flat tops on the men, flying fins on the cars.

1983: Flying fins on the men, flat backs on the cars.

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/mediaFi...184/417771.jpg

http://imcdb.org/images/153/359.jpg

Ray1936,

How did that 65 Dodge Coronet with the right brake light out [[@2:18) get past you?
    A least a "fixit ticket"!

PFFT,

We had our family 8 mm archive transferred by these guys.
    After much research and DIY tests we were glad we chose them.

http://www.mymovietransfer.com

2000 feet of film was cleaned, re-spliced onto new plastic inert archival reels, color corrected and delivered within 3 weeks on multiple formats.
    Not the cheapest but a really great job.

Leo B

Only needed one brake light back then, shovel. Must be clearly visible 50 feet to the rear. He complies.

The plate on this car could have been either a '65 or a '67, they were similar except for the year [[with the UM colors and legends).
    Last edited by Ray1936; August-01-10 at 08:25 PM.

Thanks to Ray and everyone for the input on dating this film. Best family recollections had been 1965. However, considering the number of post 1965 vehicles and the presence of the 1967 color plates, I concur that this is likely late summer, early fall 1967. Question is, how early could you order and take delivery on a 1968 Cadillac de Ville ? Also, there were still a lot of incoming boats so I can't imagine this being much later than labor day.
    This is more fun than the Zapruder film !! I am still amazed at the complete lack of a Canadian skyline at the start of the roll. There aren't any buidlings over 2 stories...

Leo B

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast