Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Freep: Like it or not, Tigers Woods is only human -- just like us

I guess I want to vent more than anything, but I absolutely hate how the Free Press appears to have no editors nowadays. Every day I come across grammatical mistakes that wouldn't get past High School Journalism 101. Now I see this when I go to freep.com: "Tigers Woods" At least get the headlines right!

Posted at midnight, most employees would be long gone by then. Plus, the writer's probably used to writing "Tigers." Still, a very blatant error and never should've happened.

MichMatters Guest

Is this a Detroit issue?

Anyway, yes, today, we are all billionaire sports stars who've crashed our Cadillac SUVs into public infrastructure and neighbors' trees and cheated on our spouses. Solidarity!

Steve Kelley in The Seattle Times has a good take on the Tiger Woods story, comparing the newsworthyness of the story to that of the 4 Lakewook, WA police officers who were gunned down over coffee the other morning. As reprinted in Wednsday's Wenatchee World:

http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/2...-does-have-an/

Heys goods catchs, Is didn'ts notices its untils yous posteds its heres!

Cheers

Considering that there are those of us fighting just for the right to marry our long time partners, it is interesting to see another heterosexual celebrity making a mockery of their wedding vows.

Ken

How long would a male columist last who wrote about"stupid chick" things?

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodeme View Post
    Posted at midnight, most employees would be long gone by then. Plus, the writer's probably used to writing "Tigers." Still, a very blatant error and never should've happened.
    Actually, an automatic spellchecker might have done that.

Jay Leno had a story on headlines once that stated the "robbers left in an African-American sedan."

tiger's latest family photo

Quote Originally Posted by krapug1 View Post
    Considering that there are those of us fighting just for the right to marry our long time partners, it is interesting to see another heterosexual celebrity making a mockery of their wedding vows.

Ken
    Yup... it's interesting that there isn't a peep from any of the usual suspects about making adultery illegal or outlawing divorce in order to protect the sanctity of marriage. Just the standard histrionics about stopping teh gheys!

I would like maggie gallagher to explain how [[after being discovered as a serial adulterer) paying one's wife 5 million to stay married is all about god's holy union. Is that pennance for the sin? if so, is that on a sliding scale depending on earnings?

"Just like us"? Not like me. I know how to keep a promise.

Quote: "paying one's wife 5 million to stay married is all about god's holy union. Is that pennance for the sin?"

Oh yeah, this is such a trend.

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post
    Quote: "paying one's wife 5 million to stay married is all about god's holy union. Is that pennance for the sin?"

Don't let the gays ruin the sanctity of marriage though!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by d.mcc View Post
    Don't let the gays ruin the sanctity of marriage though!!!!
    If marriage is such a fraud in the heterosexual world, why do gays want anything to do with it? Not trying to be argumentative here, just wondering. It just sounds like you defeat your own argument for wanting to get married by pointing how flimsy of an institution it is, at least how you paint it to be.
    Last edited by johnsmith; December-04-09 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post
    Quote: "paying one's wife 5 million to stay married is all about god's holy union. Is that penance for the sin?"

What is? Adultery or the 5 million part?

Quote Originally Posted by johnsmith View Post
    If marriage is such a fraud in the heterosexual world, why do gays want anything to do with it? Not trying to be argumentative here, just wondering. It just sounds like you defeat your own argument for wanting to get married by pointing how flimsy of an institution it is, at least how you paint it to be.
    The 1100 or so federal benefits and the hundreds of state benefits, that gays pay for and are granted as special rights to heterosexuals .. and are withheld from gays is one place to start.

Just being acknowledged as an equal citizen with access to all the rights, duties and privileges afforded to every other American might be another.

Further, no one is pointing to the institution and saying it's flimsy.. ... just pointing out how flimsy the arguments are against allowing gays to marry.
    Last edited by bailey; December-04-09 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsmith View Post
    It is not that it is a fraud in the hetero world, but that the anti-gay marriage folks constantly call their legislation "protection of marriage act" or similar

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    No one is pointing to the institution and saying it's flimsy.. ... just pointing out how flimsy the arguments are against allowing gays to marry.
    Understood. And all those other reasons you listed are excellent reasons for much smaller and absolute minimally intrusive federal and state governments who favor nobody over anyone else for any reasons.

Being that this thread started out as being about Tiger Woods, I'd like to chime in with my opinion that I don't care one bit about celebrity golfers. Yawn.

Tiger Woods is NOT just like us. When he cheats on his wife, it's a beautiful blonde Swedish supermodel.

I've liked following the golfer, Tiger Woods. But now it's going to be a very interesting year ahead, following Tiger Woods, the celeb.

ccbatson Guest

Notice the liberal lack of values when it comes to taking responsibility...not by apologizing after the fact, but by exercising a bit of restraint and respect in the first place.