Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit police rang her bell

Residents have long complained that when they call Detroit Police, no one shows up or they're extremely late. So how would you respond if the police called you?
    If you're Liz Blondy, owner of Canine to Five Dog Care on Cass Avenue, you might get "very emotional" and think you're "going to cry."
    Here's what happened: Lt. Darin Szalagy from Central District called Blondy and left a message. She called back the next day and, after initial pleasantries, he said, "I just called to check in with you and see how things are going? How's the neighborhood doing?"
    Blondy said police have never before rung her bell. Her first reaction was "are you kidding?" She then told the lieutenant, "things are going well."
    The conversation lasted less than five minutes, but the impression was deep, Blondy said. "It went a long way with me," said Blondy, who shared the experience on Facebook. "It let me know I made a good decision to do business in the city."
    The Insider spoke with Central District Commander Shereece Fleming-Freeman to get the 411 on the 911 making calls to businesses. The 23-year veteran said officers assigned to one of the five beats in the Central District are encouraged to make regular contact with the community. She said it is important for them to become familiar with the community and people they have sworn to protect.

http://apps.detnews.com/apps/blogs/d...php?blogid=381

I like good stories. Thumbs up!

So let's see if I have this straight, they can't respond to 911 calls because they're busy making courtesy calls?

All sarcasm aside, I think that this is great in principle and it'd be nice to see more of this for businesses and residences alike, but at the same time, it'd be nice to hear about improved response times for 911 calls, improved arrest rates in violent crime / murder cases, and improved levels of recovery for stolen property. Because, quite honestly, if I were a resident and a cop came and knocked on my door asking how things were, the first thing I'd be asking back were how things were with them on the things I just mentioned.

ziggyselbin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    So let's see if I have this straight, they can't respond to 911 calls because they're busy making courtesy calls?

All sarcasm aside, I think that this is great in principle and it'd be nice to see more of this for businesses and residences alike, but at the same time, it'd be nice to hear about improved response times for 911 calls, improved arrest rates in violent crime / murder cases, and improved levels of recovery for stolen property. Because, quite honestly, if I were a resident and a cop came and knocked on my door asking how things were, the first thing I'd be asking back were how things were with them on the things I just mentioned.
    Yours is a lame response. It has been fairly proven that police contact of this very nature with the community goes a long way in improving safety and relations. Do you think they don't know of the other stuff?

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by OriginalG313 View Post
    Shereece Fleming-Freeman
    She's still around??

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post

All sarcasm aside, I think that this is great in principle and it'd be nice to see more of this for businesses and residences alike, but at the same time, it'd be nice to hear about improved response times for 911 calls, improved arrest rates in violent crime / murder cases, and improved levels of recovery for stolen property.
    There are still issues with DPD's response time and their track record of clearing crimes. However, to say that they can't or don't respond at all simply isn't accurate.

I've had to call 9-1-1 three times in the past four months. Here's a quick recap of those situations and DPD's response.

August 28
    A domestic dispute breaks out in the middle of the Southfield Fwy. service drive, which is right behind my house. 1 woman is being beaten by 2 guys as a pair of screaming kids are left in the middle of the service drive.

DPD had 3 units on scene within 4 mins. of my call. Bad guys are soon hauled away. http://warrendale.blogspot.com/2009/...ng-better.html

October
    2 guys break into a vacant house near me. DPD arrived 12 mins. later, but the guys were gone in less than 10 mins.

November 29
    Another break-in at a vacant house for someone trying to steal something else. This time DPD takes 14 mins. to arrive but the thief is still on scene so they're able to make an arrest.

There's still a shortage of officers on the streets and I hear horror stories about a shortage of squad cars. However, all things considered, I think DPD is doing a good job.

I find that the Detroit police officers treat you like real people. Suburban cops always look at you with a hint of sarcasm, a gleam in their eye that says they are better than you.

Earlier this year a Detroit police officer knocked on my door just to ask how things were in the neighborhood, and if he should ticket the people around me that don't bring in their trash cans. I said sure! He ticketed the people and they've never forgotten their trash since.

A few months ago a police officer was towing a car from my street which had been sitting for months. I'd called twice to get it removed. I talked with the officer and he gave me his personal cell number just in case it happens again.

Just a few stories...

Are those of you with positive stories living in a different city? I'm serious.

In Rosedale Park crime has been out of control since this spring and police response is worthless. On Monday someone taking their garbage out to their curb was held up at gun point. They managed to retreat back into their house unharmed but police took 1.5 hours to show up. Why bother at that point? The crook is already back home, even if he rode the bus.

The Saturday before the same suspect attempted to break in to the house next door with the residents present at 12:30 am. Cops took over an hour to show up to that incident as well.

I saw two mounted police officers on horseback riding down the residential streets this Tuesday late morning/early afternoon. I didn't know DPD had mounted police any more and didn't know they rode residential streets.

I worked at Livernois and Curtis about ten years ago, and the police would show up daily, just to check in, as part of their daily run. "Community policing" made everyone, especially the staff, but the throng of customers, as well, feel that much more comfortable, seeing that uniformed presence.

I think that the levels of response by the police have to do with the district they work in. Commander Fleming and Officer Szalagy are both from central district, which goes to great lengths to make themselves accessable to the community by making appearances at block clubs, resident's council meetings, and giving out office and cell phone numbers. They also host safety and steering committee meetings at the precinct that are open to the public. Sometimes their response times aren't so hot, but I've learned that if the situation doesn't call for immediate police response, then give them guys a break and go to the station to file a report. This isn't the suburbs I'm sure you all know....

I can't speak for the other precincts too much except that i know the Eastern precinct is spread out way too far in it's north and south perimeters. They rely on gang squad to do much of the patroling near 8 mile, and those guys are only looking to bust the big dogs. The white patrol cars that do rarely patrol won't do shit if it means getting out of the car. They constantly drive by pimps and pirate hookers in front of Sam D's on Winchester and John R and won't give them a second glance, but threaten to ticket individuals who walk in the street because they're scared to walk by the empty and burned out homes. So the neighbors there now have a bad relationship with the police, and have developed a strong "no snitching" policy [[except when someones facing the clink of course). It works, because three high profile murders have taken place there in the last two years and all have gone unsolved.
    Last edited by detroitsgwenivere; December-03-09 at 02:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by devman1983 View Post
    I find that the Detroit police officers treat you like real people. Suburban cops always look at you with a hint of sarcasm, a gleam in their eye that says they are better than you.

Earlier this year a Detroit police officer knocked on my door just to ask how things were in the neighborhood, and if he should ticket the people around me that don't bring in their trash cans. I said sure! He ticketed the people and they've never forgotten their trash since.

A few months ago a police officer was towing a car from my street which had been sitting for months. I'd called twice to get it removed. I talked with the officer and he gave me his personal cell number just in case it happens again.

Just a few stories...
    I disagree. We, that is to say, my sister and I, got pulled over while she was driving in Detroit. After being yelled at with unnecessary statements such as " you could go to Butte, Montana and the rules would be the same! " [[my sister was being very cooperative during all of this), he then went on to blaming me [[I hadn't even spoken a word at this point) for doing drugs and other "illegal things" in the vehicle which " the driver must've been doing, too!" Ann Arbor police, however, don't make unnecessary assumption, don't have an attitude, and are understanding, at least the one's I have met. My sister then began crying because, as a college student, money is tight and she would have trouble paying for this ticket, so he yelled at her "stop that now!" as if his screaming would calm her down. He continued to assume we were speeding because "we didn't see the police station we were passing", though it was a simple mistake that we just missed the sign stating the limit changed. Given, he did let us go with a warning [[as have every Ann Arbor cop I have met) I cannot believe how far he went, and how many assumptions he threw at us.

Canute Guest

Obviously the cop in the original post is trying to get into Blondy's pants. He wants to ring her bell, alright. Sounds like it's working, too.

Quote Originally Posted by BVos View Post
    Are those of you with positive stories living in a different city? I'm serious.
    Quick question: did someone call while the crime was still in progress? Or after?

I ask because I've seen radically different results between those two situations. DPD is critically understaffed and underresourced. Criminal investigations require a lot more resources than responding to a 9-1-1 call does. As a result, there appears to be a shift towards at least responding to the crimes in progress at the expense of those that require an investigation.

Fnemecek,

Both were in progress. In Rosedale it doesn't matter if it's in progress or if you came home to find something had already happened. Same worthlessly slow response.

About a month ago a woman a few blocks away got shot in the stomach in her own driveway by a robber who wanted her purse. She willingly gave him everything he wanted and he still shot her. Took 20 minutes for EMS to show up and 30 for the cops. Neighbors saw the whole thing go down and called 911 as it was going down. If that doesn't deserve quick response I don't know what does.

Quote Originally Posted by Canute View Post
    Obviously the cop in the original post is trying to get into Blondy's pants. He wants to ring her bell, alright. Sounds like it's working, too.
    Lol, Lol, Lol!!!!! I can't stop laughing!!!!

DetroitDad Guest

Locked my keys in the car the other day, the police where there in about five minutes.

dharma4313 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    Locked my keys in the car the other day, the police where there in about five minutes.
    Five minutes is good. What was it when you got stuck in the clothes chute?

Quote Originally Posted by BVos View Post
    Fnemecek,

Both were in progress. In Rosedale it doesn't matter if it's in progress or if you came home to find something had already happened. Same worthlessly slow response.

About a month ago a woman a few blocks away got shot in the stomach in her own driveway by a robber who wanted her purse. She willingly gave him everything he wanted and he still shot her. Took 20 minutes for EMS to show up and 30 for the cops. Neighbors saw the whole thing go down and called 911 as it was going down. If that doesn't deserve quick response I don't know what does.
    OUCH!!! That is truly unacceptable.

For what it's worth, the Warren Avenue Community Organization is going to the Board of Police Commissioners this Thursday to complain about police response times. Everyone in Rosedale Park, and the rest of Detroit, is more than welcome to join them.

http://warrendale.blogspot.com/2009/...to-police.html