Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Apartment Rehab on Garfield?

The apartment building at approximately 112 Garfield between Woodward and John R [[near MOCAD) has been undergoing a rehabilitation for quite some time. Last I checked, it was owned by Jonna Detroit, same folks who brought us the Graphic Arts Lofts and the New Amsterdam Lofts.

I can't seem to find any information on the building. Really, I'm just interested in information about when the units will become available...

Anyone got anything?

It is part of the Sugar Hill Arts District, being developed by MEP and Zachary and Associates. I believe the building will be accepting tenants in early 2010.

It will be a "green" building, including geothermal heating and cooling.

Thanks, Hazen!

Hmm, can't place this building. I'll have to stop by when I come down there this week. I will snap a few pics...

Is that the old Melrose Hotel?

Quote Originally Posted by HazenPingree View Post
    It is part of the Sugar Hill Arts District, being developed by MEP and Zachary and Associates. I believe the building will be accepting tenants in early 2010.

It will be a "green" building, including geothermal heating and cooling.
    That's the Amazin' Hazen for ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Is that the old Melrose Hotel?
    The Hotel Melrose was at 87-93 E. Canfield.

As far as the old apartment[[s) you referenced, they both should be saved! I have long loved these two. Actually, they're on my "if-I-win-the-lottery" wish list. Their aesthetic value is high; they are made with excellent craftsmanship, rich in detail and positively gorgeous!

The block of Garfield between Woodward and John R. with apartments [[not multi-family homes) contained:

52 Garfield = Mark Twain Apartments
    71 Garfield = Garfield Manor
    74 Garfield = York Apartments

However, some interesting entries are:
    80 Garfield = Polish Consulate, Sigmunt Nowicki
    92-98 Garfield = V. Geist & Son, Undertakers
    102 Garfield = Chaffee-Noble School of Expression

There is no 112 Garfield listed in the directory. If you're looking at the Google maps, they can be notoriously wrong address-wise. Perhaps you're looking at those two red-brick with granite detail buildings facing each other? My guess is that they are probably the Garfield Manor [[the one with 4 floors) and the York Apartments [[the one with 3 floors). It seems to be the only entry on that block with two multi-story structures directly across from each other.

Ref: R.L. Polk Detroit City Directory 1928-1929

Quote Originally Posted by kathy2trips View Post
    There is no 112 Garfield listed in the directory. If you're looking at the Google maps, they can be notoriously wrong address-wise. Perhaps you're looking at those two red-brick with granite detail buildings facing each other? My guess is that they are probably the Garfield Manor [[the one with 4 floors) and the York Apartments [[the one with 3 floors). It seems to be the only entry on that block with two multi-story structures directly across from each other.
    Yea, the 112 address was approximate. There isn't much left on that block, but it's certainly a prime location.

My inquiry was prompted because I've been looking for an affordable rental in Midtown for ages!

The address of the apartment being restored is 71 Garfield....just thought I would clarify.

I noticed when I was walking by that the empty lot across the street has the same "Historical Restoration" sign as 71 Garfield but it says 74 Garfield. Does anyone know why? Was the building there demolished or something?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitZack View Post
    The address of the apartment being restored is 71 Garfield....just thought I would clarify.

I noticed when I was walking by that the empty lot across the street has the same "Historical Restoration" sign as 71 Garfield but it says 74 Garfield. Does anyone know why? Was the building there demolished or something?
    There were plans to restore 71 Garfield and a "sister" building across the street, but unfortunately that one burned down from squatters starting fires inside about 1 year ago.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitZack View Post

Actually, it is a sad story. 71 and 74 Garfield were fully funded restoration projects set to begin at the same time. Unfortunately, there was a terrible fire in 74 Garfield [[both had been set ablaze many times, but this final fire proved too much) and the building was demolished.

Word on the street is that, despite the fact that the owner wished to do structural analysis to attempt to save 74 Garfield, city contractors came to demolish the building the day after the fire. Demolition was halted with an injunction, but the building was found to be unsalvageable anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    There were plans to restore 71 Garfield and a "sister" building across the street, but unfortunately that one burned down from squatters starting fires inside about 1 year ago.
    You mean 74 Garfield? 71 Garfield is being restored right now. But thanks for the info guys.

Damn, that's a shame about the York Apts. That building had some fine detailing.

Attachment 4977

and a before from 2005.... I'm not sure how much the difference in the color of the bricks is from clean up or from my exposure.

http://fadeddetroit.blogspot.com/201...-garfield.html

Nice looking windows. I hate it when there are cheap looking, too modern widows.

Quote Originally Posted by leland_palmer View Post

and a before from 2005.... I'm not sure how much the difference in the color of the bricks is from clean up or from my exposure.

While I think your photos overstate the change, the cleanup dramatically brightened the bricks and completely restored the white trim. I would walk by there daily during the cleaning and was simply amazed at the progress daily and what was hiding under the grime/soot/etc.

Mike

I used to walk by those apartment buildings all the time. That's where I parked for two semester while going to Wayne State.

If I remember correctly that apartment building that was rehabbed still had people living in it before it got its rebirth. I would see man every once in a while come out and lock the chain at the front door. Winters in there must have been brutal.

The corner lot at John R always had a lot of action to with guys hanging out playing cards during the day.

Great area to bring back because of it close proximity to Wayne State and the hospital.