Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Sonny Elliott bon mot just now

"It's 52 degrees in Three Rivers; that's the highest temperature in the state. Three Rivers--that's where they started a new business, making the front ends of horses. Then they ship them to the Detroit council chambers for final assembly."

Attachment 4146

THAT is priceless!
    Last edited by eriedearie; December-24-09 at 02:18 PM.

Darn, I was listening then turned it, sorry I missed it!

Pardon my ignorance . . . I haven't lived in the Detroit area in 25 years and, obviously, we don't get very good Detroit TV reception here in Muskegon . . . is Sonny still doing the weather on local TV? He's got to be 90 years old or better. Still at the top of his game, though.

Quote Originally Posted by turkeycall View Post
    Pardon my ignorance . . . I haven't lived in the Detroit area in 25 years and, obviously, we don't get very good Detroit TV reception here in Muskegon . . . is Sonny still doing the weather on local TV? He's got to be 90 years old or better. Still at the top of his game, though.
    Not on TV--he's doing weather bits on WWJ.

Asked his age, he says "80-something," which I think is funny in itself.

dharma4313 Guest

Maybe this is an urban legend, but my dad told me that Sonny is Jewish and he got shot down and captured by the Nazis. If this is true, my guess is that he doesn't take sh*t from anyone. God bless him.

dharma,
    True, and true.

Sonny is a hero. Ain't nobody bad like Sonny. I wish he would go back to the zoo and film a few new episodes.

I never met Sonny, but he's been a happy part of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by turkeycall View Post
    Ah, Muskegon - where it's icy enough to make driving as hazardous as tap dancing in a canoe, and the traffic has to move more slowly than a helicopter over a nudist camp! Just remember, if you catch cold and get a sore throat, the best way to cure it is to rub it down with alcohol - from the inside. And did you hear about the woman who married five different husbands - all named William? She was a bill collector. Oh, it's freezing and it's drizzly - FRIZZLY weather out there, but dry and hot out here - DROT!

Sonny's not on TV, but he is very much alive and well on the radio - and on the Internet. I'm a fan going WAY back and even here in Arizona still occasionally get my Sonny Elliot fix at the following link - and now so can you from Muskegon!!!

http://www.wwj.com/pages/6684.php

I actually did meet Sonny in person once - at the Michigan State Fair in the late '90s. I teased him saying that "I got a 650 on my verbal SAT and I know almost ALL the fancy words you use in your forecast." Without missing a beat, he said, "Well you should have listened to me more often - then you would have gotten a 750!"
    Last edited by EMG; December-01-09 at 10:51 PM.

Correct me if I'm wrong on this...but didn't he also own a restaurant called "Sonny's Weather Station" over by Detroit City Airport? This would have been probably in the mid-to-late 70s or early 80s.

I always loved it when he would remove the Keweenaw Peninsula from the weather map and tweak Copper Harbor to show his audience where it was.

MichMatters Guest

I always get Three Rivers and Three Oaks mixed up. The latter is a fairly middle-class town in Berrien County that went into receivership, last year.

Beautiful. Got to love Sonny!

How much formaldehyde to they pump him up with everyday to keep him preserved?

Quote Originally Posted by eriedearie View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong on this...but didn't he also own a restaurant called "Sonny's Weather Station" over by Detroit City Airport? This would have been probably in the mid-to-late 70s or early 80s.

I always loved it when he would remove the Keweenaw Peninsula from the weather map and tweak Copper Harbor to show his audience where it was.
    He did own the restaurant at City Airport. When I lived in the area, we used to go there all the time and he'd table hop and welcome the customers. We took my mom's uncle there once [[back in late 70's) and he felt like he had just met a Hollywood superstar - he was so excited.

Quote Originally Posted by dharma4313 View Post
    Maybe this is an urban legend, but my dad told me that Sonny is Jewish and he got shot down and captured by the Nazis. If this is true, my guess is that he doesn't take sh*t from anyone. God bless him.
    i think this might be true. heard something similar to this too

I worked at WJBK when Sonny was there. His first name, I believe, is Marvin, and the last is something like Schlossman...i don't really remember, but definitely sounded typically Jewish. I did some looking around online and found nothing for a last name other than Eliot, but I do remember that on the TV2 staff mailing list he had a different last name from Eliot.
    Last edited by grumpyoldlady; December-02-09 at 07:40 AM.

Yes, he was a POW during World War II. He learned his German the hard way.

http://www.wwj.com/pages/6684.php?

Quote Originally Posted by eriedearie View Post

Yes, it was in the Detroit City Airport terminal.

A relative of mine was co-owner with him and ran the daily operations.

I love Sonny!!!!
    Engadine.
    Ringadee-dingadee-engadine.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    How much formaldehyde to they pump him up with everyday to keep him preserved?
    I don't know, but we all DO know that he could be counted on to come up with an immediate and effective comeback if that question were put to his face!

For the few who may not have seen this.
    http://detroitkidshow.com/Sonny_Elio..._TV_Topper.htm

"We've got a high-pressure system coming our way, and we need that like Richard Simmons needs his and hers towels." Love 'ya Sonny!

Quote Originally Posted by EMG View Post
    I don't know, but we all DO know that he could be counted on to come up with an immediate and effective comeback if that question were put to his face!
    One that would embarrass the person who would make suck a stupid comment into never opening his idiotic pie hole again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast