Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Fixing a Broken City

Very interesting article on Windsor and some artists' efforts to get the attention of Americans. This is the stuff that got Lowell started on this thing!

http://www.metropolismag.com/pov/200...-a-broken-city

I like it. Let's project something back the next time they do it.. Anyone else up for that?

MichMatters Guest

The article didn't just paint an grossly exaggerated picture of the problems in Windsor, but some of it wasn't even factually correct:

It has the highest unemployment rate in Canada, a plummeting population...
    Not only is Windsor's population not "plummeting", Windsor's population is as large as its been in its history, and continuing to grow. For whatever Windsor and Detroit share superficially [[autos and location), they are about as different in their make-up [[physical, social, cultural) as can be. Detroit is far more similar to its suburbs than it'll ever be to its neighbor across the river just for the simple fact that Canada, despite looking and seeming similar to America, is a very different place.

I don't think the differences at all should prevent us from forming closer ties to Canada, but I could do without some of the very simplistic comparisons that authors and journalist toss around as if they are meaningful.

DetroitDad Guest

I'm in!!!!!

MichMatters Guest

BTW, the Cross-Border Communication project is an awesome and creative idea, at least as art. Maybe, some one on the other side will do something similar...

My husband worked for the Canadian Federal Government for 10 years. We spent alot of time in Canada as a result. My husbands passport has long since expired and I never had one. It is ludicrous to think I can go to Canada but can't get in back home. The US border policy harms both economies.

Lots of people don't have passports, in particular families, the cost is too prohibitive. A rally might be in order to protest the closed border. Since many on both sides don't have passports a land based rally is out.

How about a flotilla on the Detroit Heritage River? I picture hundreds of decorated boats from both countries protesting Us border crossing policies. Wouldn't that drive the border patrol crazy! People without boat access or can't hitch a ride could congregate on each side of the river at various riverfront parks.

The south side of Belle Isle would be a great place to stage a message display. I leave it to artists and creative types to design.

Canadians and US citizens have far more in common then differences. After all, we are all North Americans.

Possible messages:

DID SOMEBODY SAY SOMETHING?

WTF?

ROTFLMMFAO

A/S/L?