Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Gun Buy Back

Default Gun Buy Back

Is it me or is this just a pitiful effort by the DPD? I mean seriouly, I know there are more than 75 firearms, in the city of Detroit that are unregistered....in fact 100 were turned in but only the first 75 got the $20.
    If you are serious about taking guns off the streets you have to do better than that.
    What do you think?

http://www.freep.com/article/2009112...-guns-tomorrow

Pretty much just a PR job in my opinion. Makes some nice press to the public and that's about it.

I'll sell 'em my guns when they pry my cold, dead........aw, never mind, you know the rest.

maybe i am missing something .. 20 bucks to turn in a gun? That does not seem like a lot of money- and you could probably sell a gun on the street for much more. Right? I would assume guns are worth more. Has a "gun buy back" worked in other cities, or in Detroit in the past?

Ray1936 is correct, its just a PR stunt. People turn in old junk guns that are pretty much useless and cities make a big deal about getting guns off the streets. Most of the time the guns they're yapping about are junk, useless weapons that weren't making the situation worse in the first place.

And as someone who has participated in this program before. You don't even get cash. Just a Visa check card with $25 on it. [[At least it was $25 when I participated [[2006)

I think it's absolutely stupid. However, If you choose to live in the city and protect your family unarmed then that's your business. That being said, there's no doubt in my mind the world would be a better place without weapons. But I'll keep mine just in case.

Buy back? Does that mean these folks bought these guns from the city in the first place and are now selling them back? Stupid, stupid, stupid!

MichMatters Guest

No, it's just called a buy-back. The idea is to get guns off the street, but this is just a bogus way to try and do it. I never quite understood it. What you're looking to get off the street at the illegal/unregistered guns, but those folks aren't going to turn their guns in, and especially for such ridiculously low compensation. The idea simply doesn't make any kind of logical sense outside of a PR victory, and even that victory is a dubious one when all that gets returned are a few dozen [[or even hundred) guns.

Default Sounds good

I always wanted to hang out at one of those. You never know when some old lady will show up to turn in the German Luger that her husband brought back from WWII. I think I could double her money

Quote Originally Posted by unclefrank View Post
    I always wanted to hang out at one of those. You never know when some old lady will show up to turn in the German Luger that her husband brought back from WWII. I think I could double her money
    Oh yeah, bet if that happened it would end up in some cops basement.

Hell I would give $50 for a pre 64 Winchester Model 70 heavy barrel 30/06. Maybe I should take up scuba diving and turn in some fire arms I find.

Quote Originally Posted by reddog289 View Post
    Hell I would give $50 for a pre 64 Winchester Model 70 heavy barrel 30/06. Maybe I should take up scuba diving and turn in some fire arms I find.
    $50? Hell, I'd go as high as $75.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastburn View Post
    $50? Hell, I'd go as high as $75.
    Check gunbroker.com, you'll eventually find one. You'll have to put a one before the seven and a zero after the five though.