Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Need Help, Name this apartment building

It's on the tip but can't remember... any help please?

that be river house.

Oh thanks det......

Where exactly is this building located? Off E. Jefferson, near downtown or heading south?
    Quote Originally Posted by detourdetroit View Post
    that be river house.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Where exactly is this building located? Off E. Jefferson, near downtown or heading south?
    Come on, you can't spend two seconds simply typing in river house Detroit into a google search? It's 8900 East Jefferson http://www.riverhouse.coop

Default RiverHouse Cooperative

This is the Riverhouse Cooperative...I have lived here for about 12 years.

It's addressed on Jefferson, but not really ON Jefferson, as it sits down close to the river behind the Jeffersonian apartments. There is a sign on Jefferson, just after the Erma Henderson [[formerly Memorial) Park going eastbound, that marks the drive that leads to the River House [[which also leads to the Erma Henderson Park Marina). A Google map search on the address that davewindsor gives above, along with use of the satellite view feature, should make it all very clear, due to the distinctive cruciform shape of the River House.

The original plan, back in the 50's, was for two identical towers to be constructed on the site. However only one was actually built. Later, in the 60's, the Jeffersonian was built on that part of the property closer to Jefferson.

What's it like living there? EastsideQT should know.

Default the RiverHouse Cooperative

@Ocean 2026.....It's a wonderful place to live..the Riverhouse, located at 8900 E. Jefferson, is a 16 story gated building and sits right on the Detroit River...although it has a Jefferson address it is about 1/4 mile south of E. Jefferson along side of the marina behind Erma Henderson park....it is a beautiful building and immaculate both inside and out....the views are spectacular as you can see from the picture someone else posted the way the building is structured there are four different views [[north, south, east, & west)..although it is not considered a retirement community most of the residents are over 50 years old....it's extremely safe with 24 hour security...because it is a cooperative rather than a condo the selling prices are quite affordable...the association fees include all utilities, maintanence , and taxes. Because it is in the empowerment zone the Riverhouse has gone through some very extensive renovations...the building is very well built I can't hear my neighbors above, below, or on either side of me. For more information or to see available units and selling prices go to www.riverhouse.coop. If you have any questions send me an email.....EastsideQT
    Last edited by EastsideQT; December-04-09 at 06:21 PM.

Thanks QT I'm not ready to move to Detroit - your site had quite a few units for sale - some with a water view for $5000. In many parts of the country they don't have coops and perhaps everyone in Detroit does not know how they work [[ I don't totally know). What are the maint fees and when they say a unit costs $5k is that it- just maint fees and taxes?

Are you ok with the taxes? Its so much higher than Texas its hard to swallow- especially when TX is based on the last sale -real market value.

Thanks again its nice to hear about someone happy with where they live.

I haven't been inside the River House in many years... it used to house one of my favorite Chinese Restaurants in Detroit... Hoi Tin.... I miss them.

In FlyByDon's image it was located where the large 1st floor windows are on the foreground wing of the building.

This building is only about a block from the Manoogian Mansion, a few of the waterside mansions were visible from the former restaurant space, as was Belle Isle, the marina and Erma Henderson Park.

A cooperative is a non-profit corporation...each residents purchases their own apartment...the apartments you see advertised are apartments that residents sold back to the cooperative...[[but you can sell through a realtor or on your own)....they are purchased as is...some of the apartments need a lot of work and some are totally decked out. When you buy an as-is apartment the price is usually the current market value based on square footage. That is how I bought my apartment back in 1998. Over the years the value has gone up because it is on the riverfront. Every month everyone pays an association fee based on the size of the apartment...the fee includes all your utilities, maintenance, and your taxes. They also have cable and wireless internet. There's a restaurant/bar, boutique, hair salon on the premises. Many people have bought adjacent apartments and converted them into one very large apartment. You are allowed to make renovations to bring up the value of your apartment. When you get ready to sell it you set the price. Since the Whittier opened a lot of the older residents have sold their apartments and moved there because the Riverhouse does not provide any assisted living services. If anyone is interested check out the website www.riverhouse.coop or call 313-821-2700.
    Last edited by EastsideQT; December-14-09 at 08:50 AM.

The selling prices are very inexpensive. What are the maintenance fees like?

I used to work in the grocery store that was on the basement level of the River House. It was kind of a high end place with a great meat dept.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexis View Post
    The selling prices are very inexpensive. What are the maintenance fees like?
    The maintenance fees are based on your square footage..a one bedroom that's approx. 950 sq ft would have about a $500 per month fee which covers all your utilities, taxes, and maintenance. Wireless and cable are extra but a lot less than Comcast and the other cable companies. Anyone intending to buy an apartment has to go through a an intense screening process and has to be approved by the resident elected Board of Directors.
    Last edited by EastsideQT; December-14-09 at 05:09 PM.