Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default 1959 E. Jefferson [[Detroit Saturday Night Bldg)

Trying to find out more about 1959 E. Jefferson Ave., built as the old Detroit Saturday Night publishing building in 1929. It's a gorgeous Art Deco building [[Google street view of it here: http://tinyurl.com/yj2ogq4).
    Saturday Night went under nearly 70 years ago. Anyone know of anything significant that inhabited the building?

Google searches on the address show a range of small-time offices in it at one time:
    Consulate General of Lebanon [[no longer there)
    Apex Behavioral Health
    Okane Media Group [[Okane Management) - also no longer there
    Crystal Bright Janitorial
    Christina Nance, a lawyer - number disconnected
    Educator's Annuity & Retirement Services
    Ears Financial Services
    International Game Technology - number disconnected

Was the offices for the Michigan Roundtable for Diversity and Inclusion [[formerly National Conference for Christians and Jews)

Quote Originally Posted by detourdetroit View Post
    Was the offices for the Michigan Roundtable for Diversity and Inclusion [[formerly National Conference for Christians and Jews)
    You know when or for how long [[or until how recently)?

Was the home of the Detroit Saturday Night News. Other space filled with typestting companies, photo engravers, the social directory, etc.

Here is a little information about the building at 1959 East Jefferson
    http://www.detroit1701.org/Willens%20typesetting.html

Quote Originally Posted by renf View Post
    Here is a little information about the building at 1959 East Jefferson
    http://www.detroit1701.org/Willens%20typesetting.html
    Thanks, Renf. I didn't see it on your site, but I didn't know of the Willens name associated with it. I have some old newspaper clips on it that can pad your info. Or, you can just wait for me to get around to doing the history for the site. Going to try to get inside fer fotos.

That is an interesting looking building.

All the prefab stuff around it and across the street, makes 1959 even more stunning. What a contrast!

I remember that building having a typesetting company in it for years. Some organizations that my parents belonged to had work done there. I'm not sure, but I think the U of D dental clinic may also have been in there for awhile. I remember it being somewhere on that stretch of Jefferson.

The dental school was in the building which is currently the Detroit Academy of Arts, on the block between Jos Campau and McDougall.

Just drove by there and you're right. I was off by a long block.