Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default The Free Press can't find Wyandotte or Riverview on a map!

Apparently Gibraltar is the new Riverview and Grosse Ile is the new Wyandotte...

MichMatters Guest

And SEMCOG still can't seem to predict population number for Detroit, in particular, to save their lives, and that's saying something after having found how badly the Census Bureau was undercouting the population. lol It's too the point where I don't pay any of them any mind, anymore.

Last one out, turn off the lights.

Uh, not that it's excusable to make such a mistake, but I couldn't find either one of those cities on a map either - and I live in SW Detroit. Just sayin'...

Quote Originally Posted by hudkina View Post
    Apparently Gibraltar is the new Riverview and Grosse Ile is the new Wyandotte...
    Isn't Grosse Ilse and Island???

Grosse Ile is a township that consists of several islands. The map shows the boundaries of the township, not the outline of the islands. Wyandotte is actually the small city just east of the "9" they labeled on the map. Riverview is mostly hidden by the word "Wyandotte".

Quote Originally Posted by d.mcc View Post
    Isn't Grosse Ilse and Island???
    Not this....

That's what you get when you slash your newsroom staff and have fewer people with less legacy knowledge trying to put out a newspaper. That would not have happened just ten years ago, I'll wager.

Default Not Suprised

As a resident of Wyandotte I'm not suprised, most of metro Detroit forgets that downriver even exists. If it's not Royal Oak or Birmingham no one cares.

Still, if you're not sure where someplace is, it's not too hard to look at a map. They even have them online these days you know!!

The Free Press can really F things up. Years ago when GM chose Spring Hill, TN for the Saturn plant location, the FP did an article about the Spring Hill area. The article included a map of central Tennessee with Nashville in the wrong county. Sort of like a map of Michigan with Lansing in St. Clair county. duh...

Last spring the Vegas paper printed outlines of states that had AAA baseball teams in the league of the Las Vegas 51's minor leaguers. They included the outline of Kansas, placing Omaha where KC is.

Quote Originally Posted by Cushkid View Post
    As a resident of Wyandotte I'm not suprised, most of metro Detroit forgets that downriver even exists. If it's not Royal Oak or Birmingham no one cares.
    Now wait a minute, I know people from the far west suburbs and the far north ex-burbs who know neither of where Royal Oak or the Downriver Communities are. Of course, my freshman year of university I met a girl from Ecorse who was suprised that I knew where Ecorse was [[I'm from Royal Oak, fyi).

And where are these people going? Either out of state or farther and farther away, like Milford, Brighton, Washington Twp., or Lake Orion.
    Last edited by dtowncitylover; December-01-09 at 01:50 PM.

It's a matter of two things:

1. They're moving out of their parents homes into new condos/apartments in Canton TWP/Macomb TWP.
    2. They're not really moving out, but the demographers have a hard time estimating "built-out" communities, and often err on the side of population loss.

When journalists who are supposed to do research and check their sources get it wrong, that's pathetic!

Happily moving to Trentonview area in March2010...
    Hear there is lots of work for 60 yr ole males...