Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Brad Leithauser's "The Art Student's War"

There's a review in the NYTimes of Brad Leithauser's new novel "The Art Student's War", set in Detroit during WW2. I'm not familiar with the author but I figure DYes readers are.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/29/bo...ooksupdateema3

Default Brad Leithauser

Well, I haven't opened the link to the review-but Brad lived in Pleasant Ridge and my family knew him and his brothers. I think he went to Ferndale High, but I'll check on that. My brother went to his brother's wedding in Ferndale. I'll dig up more info

Default greetings...

Hi, Brad Leithauser here, the author of the book in question. I grew up in Oak Park and Pleasant Ridge. My father worked downtown in the Guardian Building. My mother worked down at a cancer lab and then at Wayne as a composition teacher. I'd like to think my novel really is a love-letter to the city, esp'ly to my parents' world. I now teach at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore. If you're interested in the book, I'd invite you to attend either of two Detroit-area readings I'm giving soon: at the Ann Arbor Borders on Dec 7 or the Birmingham Borders on Dec 8. I'm passionate about the city, and am eager to hear what any readers think I've got right or wrong in its portrayal.

There's also a review/interview in today's Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_654992.html

Brad, Thanks for participating. Your first post, my first virgin. Congrats. I'll probably check you out in Ann Arbor. How are you able to capture the zeitgeist of such a distant faraway time? When I see film footage of what Detroit looked like when I was young, I doubt the authenticity of the film. Good luck with the readings.

There is a review of Brad's book in today's Detroit News combined with a review of Susan Messer's book, "Grand River And Joy".

http://detnews.com/article/20091204/...he-way-we-were

Hi Brad,
    I knew your Dad as he was an atty in the Guardian Building and my law firm occupied almost all of the 32nd floor. Lots of lawyers in the Guardian Building back then. We also bumped into each other at Mario's more than once! I have also met your Mom and Arthur. H. I look forward to reading your latest book.