Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Boblo Boats: Abandoned, Restored, Abandoned Again?

This from a couple of weeks ago at Nicholson.

Flash back to March 2005. Where does all this money come from; where does it all go?

What's new? It's a Detroit tradition. Abandon it. Talk about saving it. Big hype. Abandon it again. Forget all about it.

That's a crying shame. I still have old home movies being on the Boblo boats

Isn't the Columbia [[in the foreground) going to be schlepped off to the Hudson River of New York, while the partly restored Ste. Claire [[in the background) is being restored by a local doctor and donations for Detroit River use?

This was recently discussed in another thread....

Not to take anything away from all the people that work hard on the St clair but that is not a job for a bunch of weekend warriors. Dr kattoo needs to wake up and see if he wants to see his dream completed he needs to get pros on the job.

They will never have that ship done the rate they are going. Last I herd they can't even use the boilers and can't make up their mind on what to replace them with. He doesn't want to change to a diesel engine. I believe they will have to now with the new EPA rules going into affect next year.

The engine should be the first priority then work from the bottom up not jump all over the ship like they are.

Lowell that shrink wrap from 2005 does not last forever. I have seen pics of that ship a few heavy snow falls and that thing might collapse.

As much as I hate to say it those ships should have been cut up it would have been a more fitting end to long working life. They are just being destroyed anyway .

Earlier this year I received an invitation to visit the restoration but was unable to get by. Not having visited the site in a while and not having followed the topic closely, I still had the picture in my mind of a neatly shrink-wrapped ship buzzing with activity or the appearance thereof. I also thought the Ste. Claire was up an running out of Toledo, or some other port, not looking ragged in Nicholson. So, what I found when I swung by was visually disturbing -- hence my inquiry.

I know these are somewhere in Wyandotte, but where? I would like to see them and photograph them. Thanks......

Quote Originally Posted by Searay215 View Post
    I know these are somewhere in Wyandotte, but where? I would like to see them and photograph them. Thanks......
    They are in River Rouge. Take Schafer Road until it ends at West Jefferson Avenue. Turn right. Go about a mile until you're approaching Memorial Park on the left. Just before Memorial Park is Great Lakes Avenue. Turn left. Go about 5 blocks. You're now in an industrial area. Cross the tracks until you see a road on your right going to Nicholson Terminal and Dock. Turn right about a block. Be prepared because the Bob Lo Boats sneak up and grab you by the Y/K/W's. It isn't a pretty sight.

PS: if you get far enough to see the 'G' Tugs, that's the red tugs docked directly in front of you as you are turning right to go to Nicholson's, you are looking at the launch site of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    They are in River Rouge. Take Schafer Road until it ends at West Jefferson Avenue. Turn right. Go about a mile until you're approaching Memorial Park on the left. Just before Memorial Park is Great Lakes Avenue. Turn left. Go about 5 blocks. You're now in an industrial area. Cross the tracks until you see a road on your right going to Nicholson Terminal and Dock. Turn right about a block. Be prepared because the Bob Lo Boats sneak up and grab you by the Y/K/W's. It isn't a pretty sight.
    Thanks for the information it is greatly appreciated!!!!

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Popcanman55 View Post
    Not to take anything away from all the people that work hard on the St clair but that is not a job for a bunch of weekend warriors. Dr kattoo needs to wake up and see if he wants to see his dream completed he needs to get pros on the job.

They will never have that ship done the rate they are going. Last I herd they can't even use the boilers and can't make up their mind on what to replace them with. He doesn't want to change to a diesel engine. I believe they will have to now with the new EPA rules going into affect next year.

The engine should be the first priority then work from the bottom up not jump all over the ship like they are.

Lowell that shrink wrap from 2005 does not last forever. I have seen pics of that ship a few heavy snow falls and that thing might collapse.

As much as I hate to say it those ships should have been cut up it would have been a more fitting end to long working life. They are just being destroyed anyway .
    I'd tend to agree with your assessment. There's too much serious construction work to be done on the St. Clair to depend on amateur restorationists, no matter how well meaning they may be. I think there's budgetary constraints to deal with as well, but of course that's the case with anything. Organization and a solid realistic plan of action is always a plus.

The shrink wrap on the Columbia probably did more harm than good to that ship. From what I was told the wrap held in moisture, did damage to the wood.

The Ste. Claire boat is still being restored. I got the following information from their website www.bobloboat.com It states the following:

For a donation of $100.00, you will receive a season pass to ride the Ste. Claire any time during her first year of operation as many times as you would like. Alternatively, for a $100.00 donation, your name will be placed on a plaque that will permanently be placed on the main deck of ship in honor of those who helped bring the Ste. Claire back to life.
    NOVEMBER 2009 RESTORATION UPDATE
    The restoration has been focusing on the main deck in the last few weeks. The port side cabins have been sandblasted and primed. Over the next few weeks we will be focusing on the starboard cabins. The floor between the second deck and third deck foyers has been removed and awaiting to be rebuilt. Our goal is to have the main deck and second and third deck foyers ready by the Spring. Although the ship will not be completely done by next year, enough will be done so that the Ste. Claire can spend some time on the Detroit waterfront to celebrate her 100th anniversary. Thank you for all your support,

Ron Kattoo

If you would like to have a part in the effort to restore and return to service the Bob-Lo Boat Ste. Claire your donation in any amount would be most appreciated. Help us to save a National Historic Landmark and an important part of our maritime history. The Ste. Claire restoration project is not a non-profit organization, nor are any donations to the project tax deductible.
    Thank you in advance for your consideration.

Also on the site is the Bob-Lo Boat gallery. On that site it shows pictures of what they are doing. It looked like they were redoing the top deck. The pictures are really interesting to see.

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    I just zoomed in there with GoogleEarth. Looks like only one there when the shot was taken on '07. Doesn't look like a very hospitable place where one should be unless invited.

What's left on the island? Looks like maybe a golf course at the north end and possibly some farming with a few stray buildings. South of there looks completely abandoned.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I just zoomed in there with GoogleEarth. Looks like only one there when the shot was taken on '07. Doesn't look like a very hospitable place where one should be unless invited.
    It isn't a particularly 'hospitable' place unless you were raised there as I was. I played all around that area as a kid. It's no longer very 'hospitable' to me because I've been gone so long. I used to know guards at the National Steel [[GLEW) and Nicholson Terminal gates. No longer. It was a fascinating place to grow up.

NOVEMBER 2009 RESTORATION UPDATE The restoration has been focusing on the main deck in the last few weeks. The port side cabins have been sandblasted and primed. Over the next few weeks we will be focusing on the starboard cabins. The floor between the second deck and third deck foyers has been removed and awaiting to be rebuilt. Our goal is to have the main deck and second and third deck foyers ready by the Spring. Although the ship will not be completely done by next year, enough will be done so that the Ste. Claire can spend some time on the Detroit waterfront to celebrate her 100th anniversary. Thank you for all your support
    This to me is the problem they start one thing then go start something else before they finish the first part. Don't rip up a deck then go ad start painting cabins and paint should be the last thing done on the boat as it will be rusty and peeling before they even have the boat finished.

Start from the bottom up and go from there. I am just curious how much removal of cabins and structure will be needed to install new engines and mechanical systems. They might be painting walls that will need to be removed to install and engine.

They also talk about using the boat at least 3 seasons it does not seem like they have put any thought into heating and a/c systems for the boat this is the time all that should be getting roughed in along with water systems and waste storage.

The $100.00 first season pass might be a great deal by the time they are done they might be charging $100.00 a ride by the time they are done.

Yes, this restoration plan seems a mess. Restoration should start from the keel up... and be consistent and not here and there......
    Quote Originally Posted by Popcanman55 View Post
    This to me is the problem they start one thing then go start something else before they finish the first part. Don't rip up a deck then go ad start painting cabins and paint should be the last thing done on the boat as it will be rusty and peeling before they even have the boat finished.

Start from the bottom up and go from there. I am just curious how much removal of cabins and structure will be needed to install new engines and mechanical systems. They might be painting walls that will need to be removed to install and engine.

They also talk about using the boat at least 3 seasons it does not seem like they have put any thought into heating and a/c systems for the boat this is the time all that should be getting roughed in along with water systems and waste storage.

The $100.00 first season pass might be a great deal by the time they are done they might be charging $100.00 a ride by the time they are done.

I'm trying to connect an early childhood memory to these boats. Could you walk through the engine room somehow? Like look down on a giant crankshaft turning?

Not through them, but along side on a passageway of some sort looking through glass I believe.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Not through them, but along side on a passageway of some sort looking through glass I believe.
    Nah, they were wide open, along the keel level of the boat. Looking down from either side, you could hear the engines running, oil smell was intense. Heat too, of course, which is why most people gravitated to the upper decks. I'm not so sure about the crankshaft, but you may be right.

I vividly remember watching the pistons push the crank shaft. There was also a shield surrouding the shaft except for narrow spot where the piston attached to the shaft. The shaft was brass in colour and there an oil reservoir on each bushing. The engineer would periodically reach down and grab a T on the oil reservoir while the shaft was moving. The revolution of the shaft was very low but you had to be fast. I assume he was injecting oil into the bushing. I remember looking to see if he had all his fingers and he did! That was pretty cool to watch. Perhaps, he was doing it for the kids.

The trick to checking bearings for excess heat and using grease cups on the moving steam engines is to keep your hand limp and tuck your thumbs in.