Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Looking for a dominican hair salon

Does anyone know of any, between Detroit and Macomb or Oakland, preferably. In other words, not downriver or beyond, that's just too far to drive. I found one on Yahoo on Michigan Ave but would like more input if possible. Thx!

I'm not sure about the Dominicans, but the Sisters of St. Joseph or Immaculate Heart of Mary are pretty handy with a ratcomb.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    I'm not sure about the Dominicans, but the Sisters of St. Joseph or Immaculate Heart of Mary are pretty handy with a ratcomb.
    I always found the Srs. of St. Joe to be handier with a brush used to take the ratting out.

LMAO!!! Very funny!

Detwa...I am not sure about Domincan in specifically, but you have a host of African shops up on Wyoming from & mile down towards the south...

Detwa, explain the need for a Dominican. jjaba has always been more than satisfied with his Italian barber, Angelo. He gives a good cut and keeps a clean shop.

Dominicans are great at baseball. As you know, you can't "walk" off the island. Result: tons of sluggers.
    jjaba, enjoying Winter Leagues in Santo Domingo.

Well, I've never been to one but its been recommended to me for years. From what I've been told, the Dominicans have a way of doing hair that uses very little chemical processing, some special private brands of products not readily available across the US, and it leaves your hair healthy and growing and the results are amazing -- from what I'm told and what I've read.

For instance, there's one technique called the dominican blowout that completely smooths and curls your hair without chemicals or hot curlers, and the 'do' lasts for weeks. A lot of women who are avoiding relaxers and perms have this technique done instead and the hair stays healthy. Do a youtube search for 'dominican blowout' and you'll see vids of the entire process, its really nice!

I just wanted to check it out myself based on so many rave reviews. The older I get, the less I want to bother with things like doing my own hair, lol. I deserve to be pampered for a change!

I actually found a database of dominican salons in the US but there is only one listed in Detroit and its going to be a drive and a half for me but it might be worth it.

Harlet's Dominican Hair Salon
    5610 Springwells St
    Detroit, MI 48210 us
    [[313) 297-4275

Detwa, beware. There are two; Dominica and the Dominican Republic.
    One is loaded with good hair dressers and the other specializes in baseball players.
    jjaba, Cultural Geography.

Quote Originally Posted by jjaba View Post
    Detwa, beware. There are two; Dominica and the Dominican Republic.
    One is loaded with good hair dressers and the other specializes in baseball players.
    jjaba, Cultural Geography.
    lol @ jjaba.....

http://dominicanhaircare.com/blog/?p=109

Here is a coupon for Harlets and an interview. Good Luck