Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Does this Fox 2 News video bother anyone else?

a few months ago, Fox 2 News was doing a news story on DPS and one of the clips they showed was a brief shot of a classroom where the kids were working at tables. As the camera pans around, a girl reaches across the desk to a boy's paper and he balls up his fist and gestures as if he is going to hit her and she does the same. Then they spot the camera on them and they both sit back down. I'm sure you guys have seen this clip, because ever since then, Fox 2 has shown it continuously whenever there is a DPS story, they use this SAME clip. I don't care what the story is, there is the clip of the misbehaving kids acting "violently" toward each other.

I have Ch. 2 news on every morning as I get ready for work and I'm always annoyed by it and sometimes yell at the screen but never thought to do anything about it, until tonight I was talking to a teacher friend of mine in another city who mentioned this same video clip. As a teacher, she was quite offended that they are constantly showing this clip showing the kids at their worst, when they could surely substitute it for something else, because having it drilled into our heads regularly just helps reinforce the idea that all DPS kids are insolent and rude.

I thought, wow, I can't believe you're bringing this up because its bothered me too! We all know the media images are very powerful and effective, and I'm sure they know that too.

So I'm asking who else is tired of seeing this clip nearly 2-3 times a week accompanying every DPS story? I'm not even a DPS parent or resident, but it bothers me because its unfair. They should have even edited it out before airing the first time, but to keep re-using it is unfair to the students of DPS as a whole.

If anyone else agrees, what can we do about it? Who can we write at Fox 2 and ask them to please stop using it and replace it with something else, heck, just show the kids WORKING at their desks, or even sitting and smiling or something. Should we write to Robert Bobb, who's behind this huge remarketing campaign for DPS?

I guess I don't pay enough attention to the details in the video. I've never noticed what you are talking about.

As a teacher, she was quite offended that they are constantly showing this clip showing the kids at their worst, when they could surely substitute it for something else, because having it drilled into our heads regularly just helps reinforce the idea that all DPS kids are insolent and rude.
    Today, 11:02 PM
    furnitureguy

whats wrong with showing them acting like animals as usual?? Teaching in DPS is worse than teaching for a third world country. At least in third wirld countries they are wanting to learn and listen.

It must be working,

Quote Originally Posted by furnitureguy View Post
    whats wrong with showing them acting like animals as usual?? Teaching in DPS is worse than teaching for a third world country. At least in third wirld countries they are wanting to learn and listen.
    Geez, I've haven't seen the clip, but I've got to respond just because of furnitureguy's ignorant post. Yes, I'm upset to hear about this. It's one reason why I hardly ever watch the local news anymore. If there's a way to sensationalize a story, our local media will find it. Perhaps you would get more mileage from a few well-placed letters to the morning news' most prominent advertisers?

Quote Originally Posted by furnitureguy View Post
    Furntureguy, I am just curious about your DPS teaching credentials as well as your third "wirld" experiences. Would you care to enlighten the forum a bit more?

Detwa, I've noticed the same stock footage you mentioned being repeatedly used whenever the news story moved to Detroit Public schools. However, I see them playing with one another, not seriously fighting. The other students in the same footage seem to be busy with their schoolwork.

It's unfortunate when images are chosen that could reflect the subject more favorably. I feel the same way every time I see this on Yahoo

Of all the images of mother and son, why this one? Why not have the kid with a pleasant expression?

You're right, eno, I should clarify that - they weren't REALLY fighting, they were playing, but it was that kind of passive aggressive type of play where they're acting like they're going to punch each other and comes across rather poorly when taken out of context, as in a short clip. They could have edited out that part because all of the other kids are concentrating on their work. I'm sure they have a database of DPS clips that are easily accessible with a few keystrokes so why keep reusing that one? It's like taking a class picture and one of the kids is picking his nose, someone should demand a retake or an edit or crop or something!

LOL @ xphillipjrx! I had the same thought when I saw that ad! Why does he look so disgusted? A lot of folks would love to have their moms "bother" them by email only!

Quote Originally Posted by xphillipjrx View Post
    It's unfortunate when images are chosen that could reflect the subject more favorably. I feel the same way every time I see this on Yahoo

Of all the images of mother and son, why this one? Why not have the kid with a pleasant expression?
    Because the kid is freaked out that mom is giving him a hand job.

dharma4313 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Golick View Post
    Because the kid is freaked out that mom is giving him a hand job.
    Looks more like "hot granny" to me. And the guy's just trying to keep an open mind.

Detwa, your argument about the use of that particular clip sounds like political correctness to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Detwa View Post
    I'm sure they have a database of DPS clips that are easily accessible with a few keystrokes ...
    dont assume so. walking into a public school and video taping children is a big deal with quite a bit of permissions involved. i know the clip you speak of, and there have been others in the past that they re-run over and over. they do it that way because they have so few instances to gather such footage.

its not like the "fat reel" of jiggly butts going down the street, or the "flu reel" of arms getting injections, or the "smoking reel" of people smoking cigarettes.

All that footage is easily obtained.