Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Time Capsules -- YMCA, Soldiers and Sailors

While in the Reuther Library this year I found a newsreel [[not available online to my knowledge) from The Detroit News showing the construction of the old YMCA. In particular, the reel features the laying of the cornerstone and the placement inside of a time capsule. Was this forgotten and lost during the demolition or was it salvaged?

I've also read that a capsule was placed within the Soldiers and Sailors monument and recovered, but couldn't easily find details.

What about other buildings? With so much demolished, I wonder if other capsules await discovery, or have been accidentally lost.

Along with the ashes of Stevems T. Mason, I think there is a time capsule buried in Capitol Park but I would have to double check old articles that I have to be sure.

The capsule buried under the Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument was recovered when the monument was moved a few hundred feet about eight years ago. The copper box, alas, had leaked, and all the papers inside had turned to mush. The only recovered item was a medallion that is now at the Detroit Historical Museum.

The papers allegedly held the names of all Michigan veterans of the Civil War, and they are still known, so it was no real loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    The capsule buried under the Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument was recovered when the monument was moved a few hundred feet about eight years ago. The copper box, alas, had leaked, and all the papers inside had turned to mush. The only recovered item was a medallion that is now at the Detroit Historical Museum.

The papers allegedly held the names of all Michigan veterans of the Civil War, and they are still known, so it was no real loss.
    I think the gooey box of papers is at WSU.

The restoration guys said that the statues ALL had GOLD medallions under them when they were set in place - and all those medallions were NOT in place when the statues were lifted to be moved.

Ooops.