Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default WDET African show in the 1980s

In the late 1980s when I moved to SE Michigan there was an African music show on WDET. I believe that the host was local, and that the show was not Afropop Worldwide, which they ran later on. I remember, before almost every song, he would say, "This is a fusion of .... and .....," which I always thought was intriguing. Does anyone remember this, perhaps remember who the host was, and even know if he's still in the area? Or maybe I imagined the whole thing?

I dont recall the show Tex, but if you are into African flavored grooves there is a hot spot on Livernois in Detroit called Tropical Hutt Lounge that features African music on Saturday night.

might be wrong but ... AfroPop Worldwide is carried by NPR show [[ http://www.afropop.org/about.php ), the local version of the show was aired late at night on the weekends is hosted by a guy named Micheal Julian, whi might have been from Jamica, but for some reason I'm thnking he was like Martinque or St Lucia or some such place. Like many of the WDET people Micheal Julian had a real job and did the weekend thing to keep his hand in and make some tiny dollars. His show is now called Global MIX

http://wdetfm.org/playlists.php?song..._button=Search

Michael Julien used to call himself "Mikey Dread" back in the late 80's / early 90's. I can't remember the name of his show at all [[it had either a reggae or a "world music" focus), but the show was on in the hours before Radio Clash and Alan Oldham's show.

I believe this was not the same guy. Pretty sure this host was African. But thanks for the good connection--I'd bet Michael Julian would remember who it was. I'll try to ask him in a convenient way. I have occasionally been to the Tropical Hut and enjoy it.