Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Photos: Sunday Morning Fog

A bunch of friends and myself woke up around 6 AM Sunday morning to photograph the dense fog. I ended up with some of the better pictures I've shot this year...

We'll start of with some vanity.

Attachment 4059

And then one sutibale for the "broken decaying city, blahbity blah blah" caption.

Name:  Green_Haze.jpg
Views: 1076
Size:  34.9 KB

We ended up on Belle Isle, I shot a good 30 photos from the rocks on the west end...

Name:  Schawb_Rock_4.jpg
Views: 1094
Size:  31.6 KB

more to come in time...

Nice, Traxus. Brings back memories. Being in Las Vegas now for the last 25 years, I've seen fog but once in all that time. Only lasted until the sun burned through it in the early a.m.

Those are spectactular. Wish I had gotten up to do the same - or just stayed up [[and sober) late enough.

Nice pix. The fog was beautiful. I miss living where I can hear foghorns. Do the boats still use them? We used to live near a lighthouse, where we could hear the fog signals clearly.

Nice stuff!

The Green Haze was my favourite.

nice work.

Very nice!

Wow! Really nice pics, please post some more.

Default Amazing Photos

Traxus,

Thanks for sharing these awesome photos. I drove, during pre-dawn hours, through the very dense fog that developed a couple nights over the weekend here in Lansing. However, seeing skyscrapers jut through the ground-level clouds is simply remarkable.

The MCD/train depot never fails to amaze me with it's striking beauty. It tells a story.

Can't wait to visit my beloved city tomorrow, Thanksgiving.

Here are some photos of fog surrounding the Book, David Scott, Broderick, and Fisher buildings courtesy of one of the Detroit dailies from several years ago.

Ravine Guest

I liked "Green Haze" a lot, too. Induced a fear of Jack the Ripper coming around the corner and offing me.

Good pics,Cool things happen while I sleep.

Traxus - IMO "Thriller" could be performed in front of the 2nd photo. Very nice pictures.

Very nice Traxus!
    I was up and out maybe a little earlier camera in one hand coffee in the other.
    Scott fountain
    Street lamps with fog

thanks for sharing Traxus. what king of camera-setting did you use?

Those photos of the city skyline in fog above from the free press was actually on Thanksgiving morning 3 years ago. Very coincidental that those photos would be posted exactly 3 years later.

Thanks for all the comments guys! Fog is really something else to shoot in, I need to make a point of taking advantage of it more often...

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    Those are spectactular. Wish I had gotten up to do the same - or just stayed up [[and sober) late enough.
    Funny you should say that, I was out partying to Carl Craig at the Magic Stick and didn't get home until 4am, slept for an hour and a half, then miraculously dragged my ass out of bed at 6 to meet up with my friends to shoot. Glad I did.

Quote Originally Posted by terryh View Post
    thanks for sharing Traxus. what king of camera-setting did you use?
    I shoot with a Nikon D200, and swap between the 12-24mm and 18-70mm, mostly the 12-24 these days, all manual all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by rajdet View Post
    Very nice Traxus!
    I was up and out maybe a little earlier camera in one hand coffee in the other.
    Scott fountain
    Street lamps with fog
    Interesting that we both ended up on the west end of belle isle...

And since everyone seems to enjoy the monochrome MCS photo so much, here's a few more detail shots of the signs out front:

Name:  One_Way_MCS.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  45.7 KB

I went monochrome on these because the color of those boards covering the main entrance is atrocious and distracting...

Name:  Do_Not_Enter.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  43.2 KB

and while were on the topic of fog, here's one I got of the upper rouge about a year ago:

I've also got a couple much nicer ones from Belle isle as well, but I'm keeping them under wraps until Christmas, lest any lurkers get a sneak peek at their present.

The pic of the bridge is spectacular-dark...almost Gothic eerie...yet peaceful. Has a bit of a rural feel...

Green Haze was a great Elvis Hitler song.