Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default The Tipperary Pub

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving and come 10pm I'm going to hoist a pint and be deeply saddened that I'm not settling in with a Guinness and a shot of Grouse at The Tip to watch "The Quiet Man" with John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara as was the tradition, at 10pm sharp - every Thanksgiving night, for nearly a quarter century.
    I miss ye.

You can watch "Caddyshack" instead sipping on a Mickey's Wide Mouth.

Too bad its over sounds like a great tradition, I did not know that the Tip was closed

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Codfish View Post
    Tomorrow is Thanksgiving and come 10pm I'm going to hoist a pint and be deeply saddened that I'm not settling in with a Guinness and a shot of Grouse at The Tip to watch "The Quiet Man" with John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara as was the tradition, at 10pm sharp - every Thanksgiving night, for nearly a quarter century.
    I miss ye.
    Not that this has anything to do with the Tipperary [[I did spend a few St Patricks days there), but my dad was a BIG Maureen O'Hara fan. I remember him raving about her being such an Irish beauty. Both of his parents came over to NYC from Ireland in the early 1900s [[counties Offaly and Cork), so he was big on any and all things Irish. He was a big Duke fan too, so I'm sure he liked that movie. Not sure I've seen that one.

Wasn't this Bill Bonds' hangout? [I miss him]

Not just Bill Bonds, but over years I've seen Sonny McElliott, Jim McBrandstator, Robbie O'Timmons there. Plus there was Andrea McKremer [[when she was in Detroit) and Andrea O'Joyce. They've all been there once or twice.

You can Tipp a erary but never tuna-fish.
    You can tune a guitar but don't Pet-a luma.

From the Westside, it's a long long way to Tipperary.
    jjaba.

Erin Go Braugh.

Quote Originally Posted by polaar View Post
    Wasn't this Bill Bonds' hangout? [I miss him]
    Nah, I practically lived at the Tip on and off since the late 70's and never saw Billy there - although I'm sure he'd been there at one time or another. He liked to hang out at what is now il posto on Franklin Rd at Northwestern ... back then - John Lafferty's ... or when it was one of Joe or Chuck Muer's restaurants - Charlie's Crab? ... I don't remember which. I also used to see him all the time at Excalibur - my fav hangout [[rest in peace).

Bill would also drop in to Tom's Tavern [[7 Mile west of Wyoming) from time to time, back when old Tom himself was holding court, and I was one of the drinkers occasionally pressed into bartending service while Tom went to the horse races.

I also miss the Tip, I was never a regular there but would drop in from time to time for a wee nip. There was an east-side priest I knew who was great friends with the Ohallorans [[not sure of the spelling) and we would occasionally run into each other there and put away a bit of Irish Mist.

Good times!

Remember when every St. Patrick's day John Santos [[Hot Fudge Creator)would come in and sing? Been a long time, the place used to be packed!

Loved the Tip and miss it. For several years a good friend of mine and I would have a friendly competition on St. Patrick's Day. We would each start at either the front or back of the bar, and see who could get through the place to the other side the fastest, while consuming at least 1 beer. Winner got the bottle of Jameson's in the trunk of the car. Since the place was wall-to-wall jammed, it took a surprisingly long time to accomplish the task.

My Tip story; Was in there for a snort of Glenfiddich, on a weekend, so there was live music. On a whim, I thought of a song my Dad used to like, but could only remember "We're off ta Dublin in the green, in the green.." so I wrote that on a napkin, and sent it up with a bill. The fiddler looks at it for a while, and I'm thinking that I got it wrong, but then they start up with it, and I'm loving it, but then they get to the chorus: "...the guns of the IRA..."and I start wondering if it might have been a bit provocative to request that, but it was all good. I will miss the Tip.

Dinner at one of the Greek Town restaurants, then a stroll down to The Tip for a night cap [[or two). That whole pounding on the table game, Blackthorn as the house band. I still have one of their cassettes. So sorry to hear they're finally gone.

I heard Rod Stewart used to favor the joint when he was in town.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by txlady View Post
    Dinner at one of the Greek Town restaurants, then a stroll down to The Tip for a night cap [[or two).
    Wait, you walked there from Greektown? That's a bit of a hike.

Yup, we were young and stupid, 4 little blond white girls. One memorable occasion we had a homeless guy tell us we were in danger and should head back to the lights.

Quote Originally Posted by txlady View Post
    Yup, we were young and stupid, 4 little blond white girls. One memorable occasion we had a homeless guy tell us we were in danger and should head back to the lights.
    Txlady, U thinking of The Old Shillelagh?? Tipperary Pub is like 15+ miles from Downtown I would guess.

You don't supposed she means the Old Shillelagh? I guess she had that stupid blond thing right though.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by preserve View Post
    You don't supposed she means the Old Shillelagh? I guess she had that stupid blond thing right though.
    I lol'd.extra characters

It really is crazy to see how it looks like the Earth is reclaiming the Tipperary. About 12 years ago I was with a girl who wanted me to go there with her for St Patrick's Day but I was either working or not interested, one of the two. Sure sounds like it would have been a great place to be. I know the neighborhood hasn't held up but it seems like it could have had the support to make it. Either way, it's a shame.

The neighborhood is recovering somewhat. However its demographics are changing
    meaningfully away from being even slightly Irish. It is a composite now of some older
    Polish and many from southern U.S. origins, and the Middle Eastern influence is substantial. There is a small but increasing and prospering contingent of Mexicans as well.
    The Tipperary was hit by full mural graffiti recently.
    None of this is stopping the construction project just about a mile south of the Tipperary
    on the Southfield Freeway, behind the Home Depot and Walmart.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulTHowell View Post
    My Tip story; Was in there for a snort of Glenfiddich, on a weekend, so there was live music. On a whim, I thought of a song my Dad used to like, but could only remember "We're off ta Dublin in the green, in the green.." so I wrote that on a napkin, and sent it up with a bill. The fiddler looks at it for a while, and I'm thinking that I got it wrong, but then they start up with it, and I'm loving it, but then they get to the chorus: "...the guns of the IRA..."and I start wondering if it might have been a bit provocative to request that, but it was all good. I will miss the Tip.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LKk9op-RAA
    my friend Missy G. from Troy was doing a St. Patrick's set out here @ a pub when a woman pushed stage center, gave her the double-bird salute & screamed "quit playing Rebel Songs!" before storming out in a huff. Missy was both excited & perplexed

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingJ View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LKk9op-RAA
    my friend Missy G. from Troy was doing a St. Patrick's set out here @ a pub when a woman pushed stage center, gave her the double-bird salute & screamed "quit playing Rebel Songs!" before storming out in a huff. Missy was both excited & perplexed
    Pushing the stage would be hard to do here. The barriers between the performers and the audience are sizable. Let the drunk go. There used to be quite a bit of animosity between the prots [[orange) and the catholics [[greens) that has thankfully died down in the last 15 years. I can remember wandering into a house in Fanshawe Village, the Greenfield Village of London, ON several years back. It was called the Orange house. Felt like I had suddenly wandered into a KKK rally! There were signs on the walls for lynchings and how Catholics suck. It looks like they have become PC and have toned things down a bit. http://www.fanshawepioneervillage.ca/node/116#tag_3 More history forgotten in an attempt to placate the masses. I would have left it the way it was and provided historical context.

This is probably one of the reasons why Ontario still has province funded Catholic Schools. People would not mix.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; June-29-14 at 08:19 AM.