Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: lions legends

Default lions legends

Just wondering if anyone went to the Lions game last Sunday. I saw where they
    honored Joe Schmidt, Lem Barney, Charlie Sanders & Yale Lary. What a nice acknowledgement. All of these men gave us great thrills during their playing days. As I've mentioned before, my dad was a Lions season ticket holder[[Sec 34 Row D seats 1&2 upper deck Briggs/Tiger Stadium). Lions trivia-anyone remember the 4 L's Lions defensive backs of the 60's? Answer-Yale Lary, Dick Lebeau, Nighttrain Lane, Gary Lowe. Hope everybody has a great holiday & hope the Lions make it 2 in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by fratman View Post
    Joe Schmidt, Lem Barney, Charlie Sanders & Yale Lary
    I believe these are all of the living Lion Hall of Famers other than Barry Sanders, who has already been honored in the new stadium.

the best lion legend is

Alex Karras,

tangled with Dick the bruiser in the alley behind Linden AC.

threw his helmet across the room at Milt Plum after another loss
    better arm than Milt!

came back from his suspension and at the coin flip refused to answer
    because he was not allowed to gamble.

Is he still living in Hollywood?, guess its time for an internet search.

I think that the Lions do a HUGE disservice to their great players of yesteryear. How? By retiring numbers. Sure, Joe Schmidt's 56 is retired [[unless you're name is Pat Swilling) but to say Joe was so much better than Chris Spielman or Mike Lucci that 56 is retired, but not 54 or 53 is almost criminal.

I think the team would be better served by simply taking certain numbers out of regular circulation. We don't want to see a rookie free agent safety wearing 20 for obvious reasons. However if we draft a QB with the first overall pick who has a thing for 7, he should have the right to try and live up to having Dutch Clark's number on his back. All players' lockers should have a plaque in the back with the names of all significant players who previously wore the number. Hey 23, Mel Gray is watching! The only number that should never be worn in a game again is 85. If you die on the field, you should be the last to wear the number.

I'd also like to see them simplify the uniform to one based on the throwback jersey, put a retractable roof on Ford Field & win some actual games.

No dis to Spielman or Lucci, but Joe Schmidt was the first great middle linebacker [[some would say he basically "invented" the position) in the history of the NFL and was one of the most feared players of his era. That's why he was a Pro Bowler for 10 straight years and is in the Hall of Fame. He's almost certainly the greatest defensive Lion in the history of the team. We may be very distant from those achievements now, but he definitely deserves the honor.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    No dis to Spielman or Lucci, but Joe Schmidt was the first great middle linebacker [[some would say he basically "invented" the position) in the history of the NFL and was one of the most feared players of his era. That's why he was a Pro Bowler for 10 straight years and is in the Hall of Fame. He's almost certainly the greatest defensive Lion in the history of the team. We may be very distant from those achievements now, but he definitely deserves the honor.
    I meant no disrespect to one of the greatest to take the field. Love the guy. But if Larry Foote had come in & wanted 56 so as to pay homage I would love to see the number on the field making plays, rather than painted on a wall or hanging in the rafters collecting dust. 24 isn't retired for Jack Christiansen, nor is 81 for Night Train. There are a lot of great players who go forgotten by retiring a few jerseys. If the numbers were instead used by players and we educated players and fans as to the history and tradition of this once great franchise... Instead we should pretty much retire 57, so it can live on forever as a remembrance of what a championship football team was.

Joe Schmidt was the first great middle linebacker [[some would say he basically "invented" the position) in the history of the NFL

I think Chuck Bednarik might have something to say about that!

I had the pleasure of serving Yale Lary and his wfe and daughter after the game. Although he was way before my time, it was a blast listening to them talk about Detroit in the 50's and early 60's

Retire Chris Spielman's number ? That's a joke right ? I don't think they retire numbers for players that consistently made tackles 8 yards downfield.

Quote Originally Posted by BShea View Post
    Joe Schmidt was the first great middle linebacker [[some would say he basically "invented" the position) in the history of the NFL

I think Chuck Bednarik might have something to say about that!

Or Sam Huff ... Tom Landry who was the defensive coordinator for the Giants built his new 4-3 defense around Huff; however, massive props to Bednarik who in a 6-2 defense commanded the field and will forever be know for knocking Frank Gifford into next year and for wrestling Jimmy Taylor to the turf in the 62 Championship. The last two-way [[center/linebacker) 60 minute Iron Man.

"I'd also like to see them simplify the uniform to one based on the throwback jersey, put a retractable roof on Ford Field & win some actual games"

Don't jump my shit but I thought Ford field had a retractable roof? I have only been up there once since it was built. I assume per above that I thought wrong and its a solid roof? thanks for clearing this up for me.