Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default "Detroit-themed" holiday gift suggestions?

Here's some book suggestions.

In addition to the local titles in Arcadia Publishing's Images of America series, there is a recently published book titled A Motor City Year that would make a good "Detroit-themed" holiday gift. This book is on sale at local bookstores and it is also available from Amazon.com.

The author and photographer, John Sobczak, captures everyday life in Metro Detroit in 365 images. His photographs demonstrate the full texture of life in Detroit and its surrounding communities, from the traditions we hold dear, to the places we work and play, the people we visit, and the challenges we face.
    “In A Motor City Year, John Sobczak expertly depicts the heart and soul of our region. He vividly captures the unique personality of a unique city—its memories, traditions, and struggles.” —Ernie Harwell
    Any other Detroit-themed gift ideas?

Pewabic Pottery.

Bottle of Mad Dog?

A new car?

A 1:43 scale model Twin Pines milk truck?
    http://www.detroitkidshow.com/get_yo...ines_truck.htm

I'll second lafayette's suggestion of Pewabic Pottery. They carry several lines of Christmas ornaments for under $20. For another $1 you get one of their nice gift boxes.
    http://www.pewabic.com/new-products.htm

Retroit Guest

One year membership to DetroitYES!

City Bird's new shop on Canfield has tons of Detroit-centric gifts.

Sludgedaddy Guest

....a ten pound chunk of rubble from an abandoned industrial site for a real piece of Detroit.

...or perhaps Santa's Fort Street Special: Three for the Price of One....Ho....Ho....Ho....

Bureau of Urban living has plenty of Detroit-themed stuff too, if you're into that.

Lots of stuff at the Detroit Historical Society store, including this calendar:

http://www.olddetroitshop.com/20daofde.html

Lots of ideas in this week's Metro Times gift guide, including a piece on the Detroit books that started this thread ...

http://www.metrotimes.com/arts/story.asp?id=14567

You may also be interested in a personal project of mine...
    For five years now I have produced a Detroit Historical Photo Calendar.
    Most of the images have never been printed before as they come from private collections I have acquired over the years as well as album snapshots.
    Many of the date squares reflect significant events in Detroit's history.
    All production and research for this calender is done by me except for the final printing.
    The calendars are only $9.99.
    If you have purchased one of these calendars from me in the past, I thank you for your support and look forward to sending you this year's edition.
    If you are interested please check out my eBay page or email me direct:
    info[[at)detroitroom.com

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    Glad you posted that and saved me the trouble - it was absolutely the first thing that popped into my mind even before I opened this thread! [[Though I was thinking primarily of the famous fudge - the rest of the package would just be a bonus).

Vernor's ginger ale
    Velvet peanut butter
    Better made potato chips
    Faygo pop

Does anyone have other food ideas?

How bout a Faygo lemonade 20oz Half pint of Mohawk vodka. Cheap but mixes well.

Better made chips and Country Fresh french onion dip. [[made in Livonia)

A cheep house from the tax auction. I'm thinking on the lines of that crappy "name a star after someone" but for less money. At least you can see it without an expensive telescope.

If none of these seem in your price range you could steal the catalyst off their car and buy yourself some Mohawk and Faygo. That seems like a real Detroit Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by ruth View Post
    Vernor's ginger ale
    Velvet peanut butter
    Better made potato chips
    Faygo pop

Does anyone have other food ideas?

http://germack.com/index.aspx

Default Book Beat

The Book Beat store in Oak Park has lots of Detroit themed gifts- from books to greeting cards etc.