Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Detroit Map Help

Ok, here's what I am after.
    I've been searching for a map of Detroit from the 1970's or 80's that
    is just of the city [[with highland park and hamtramck).
    Not the type that shows all of wayne county.
    Anyone know a company or website for that?

MichMatters Guest

How would this differ much at all from a map made, today, considering the streets have barely changed in their layout?

Retroit Guest

Are you looking for a map to purchase and you want the greatest enlargement of the city as possible?

I'm looking at a AAA map right now that was printed in 1985 if you have a specific question.

I wanted a map that is not updated like the ones now.
    Some streets have been altered on the new maps.
    Also I saw one at Engine 48 on South Fort St. and it was just a black and white map that showed all the streets for their area, I would want to find one in large format and around 8' x 8' in size

usgs may have something. they may have some historical quads.

I'll look into that.
    What I'm trying to do is remake the old Civil Defense Warden "ZONES" map/Fallout Shelter Maps that were around in the 1960's & 70's [[possibly into the 80's)
    I know the city had them, every large and medium city had Shelter maps.
    They were called "Fallout Shelter Guide", "Community Shelter Plan"
    I could've gotten them from the old CD building in Palmer park.
    But the basement flooded and all those maps were destroyed.
    I have a few CD booklets that show the "Zones" map and there are photo's
    on the WSU virtual motor city site.

Quote Originally Posted by M CD M View Post
    Also I saw one at Engine 48 on South Fort St. and it was just a black and white map that showed all the streets for their area, I would want to find one in large format and around 8' x 8' in size
    Sound like one of those pull-down maps that unrolls like a shade. Used to see them in any kind of business that made deliveries or sales calls. Can't remember the name of the company that made them. I'd keep an eye out on eBay.

All the maps on Ebay are all from the late 1800's or early 1900's.
    Which are too old.
    I scanned one of the photo's from the City of Detroit, Mass Feeding Manual
    and a 1955 Zone map, that was the same into the 60's & 70's
    In the photo, it looks the same as my 1955 zone map, but the one in the photo clearly shows all the streets.

I'd love to see more of that. Please keep us posted. Have a list or map of siren locations?

Do you need a paper map? I've got a scanned copy of a 1965 map; just the Ford, Lodge, and Davison Freeways, and the Lafayette Park street grid is still intact.

Toolbox Guest

Try these:

Emergency Management Div

Civil Defense, National Security, Military

[[313) 596-5562
    13331 Lyndon St
    Detroit, MI 48227

Civil Defense

[[734) 722-1111
    3300 S Wayne Rd
    Wayne, MI 48184

Stosh Guest

I know of one that is of Detroit and the surrounding area. I can't speak to the 70's, but I'm pretty sure that it's maybe even before that period. What's your budget?

Toolbox,
    The Emergency Management folks are a dead end, never returning my phone calls or e-mails. And anything that is Civil Defense was under the Fire Dept side. And thier historian, I have tried to meet up, but our schedules are always conflict.

Stosh my map budget is not to go over $100.00

And here's the links to my google maps I made.

Cold war Siren locations
    http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...458725c9e&z=11

Fallout Shelters I have found so far, I know there are & were tons more

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...6c592faec&z=11

Try John King Books downtown. You may get lucky.

They have my number already and periodically call me with what's on my want list.

Does anyone know of any good map builder/editor software that does street maps?

Quote Originally Posted by M CD M View Post
    And here's the links to my google maps I made.

Cold war Siren locations
    http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...458725c9e&z=11
    There is or was a Thunderbolt at the Highland Park FD.
    There's a Whelen at the south end of the American Axle complex, but maybe it's a company owned warning siren.
    There's a Thunderbeam at the northeast corner of Brooklyn & Porter.
    I thought I saw a Thunderbolt on the fire station on Alexandrine, west of Cass, but I might be imagining it.

Your Thunderbolt #32 at the telephone central office on Fort; is it still there? Because there's a Thunderbeam a few blocks east at the corner of the I-75 service drive and Lewerenz.

Thunderbolt #26 at the fire station on Burt & I-96; a few years ago it was on the ground in pieces in the weeds of the parking lot. I drove by later and it was gone - hopefully not to scrappers. I wanted to grab it but I don't have a truck. Has it been repaired and reinstalled?

Are there still Thunderbeams on the Book Cadillac and DTE HQ?

Are the locations of these from an official source, or have you found these on your own? Are there no others on the lower east side?

Here is my Official city list,

http://www.jeffclifton.com/eric/Detr...0List%20SM.JPG

And you are mistaken about the Burt rd FD Thunderbolt.
    I was there they day they took it off the roof and loaded it into the back of my truck

http://www.michigancivildefense.com/...hunderbolt.JPG

The Highland Park Siren is a Thunderbeam, and there is no power or wires left in the building to run it.

The siren on the phone building has been gone for over a year, there is a new white one east of it along the I-75 service drive, still not hooked to power, now over a year in waiting.

The american axle siren is for the plant and not the city.

The siren at Brooklyn and Porter is a 2001-SRNB not a thunderbeam

Nice catch. Must have been more recent because here was the condition it was in when I drove past:

Attachment 4067

Now that I've looked through my pictures, I see you're right about Highland Park. I figured it didn't work anyway. And I knew the Brookly/Porter one was on a pole so I thought it was a 'Beam. Nothing more around midtown or the Jefferson Chrysler plant?

Attachment 4068

And what's the deal with the Thundrbeam at the back of the BARA Miracle Church on E Outer Drive? Seems odd to have one located on privately owned building other than a utility company.

I don't know why they choose that church on outer drive over putting it on the water dept buildings behind it. Many of the thunderbeams and thunderbolts are really low mounted, seemingly too low to be effective. and the placements of most of them are too close to each other.

And for Midtown and the Jefferson plant, I have no clue why there are no sirens.
    The jefferson plant had a chrysler siren in the early 1950's, but I don't know when they stopped using it or took it down. There was a few schools near the jefferson plant that have been demoed, so it is possible that one was there. And my list is for what was still in place when they went back to look for them.

And as far as the siren in the field, I have no clue why it was or is there, the company putting in the new ones may have left it there for a spell, then picked it back up.

Supposedly the siren on the GM building in New center may still be up there, but for the shearton hotel, they may have taken it down when the rehab was going on?

That photo was April 2006. When I drove by later that year or early 2007, it was gone. I'll miss the Thunderbolts when they're all gone. Don't know about the Book Cadillac - need to be downtown on Saturday afternoon to listen for it.

Waymarking.com users have compiled a nice list of civil defense fallout shelters, their locations with lat/lon, and photos.

Check out the many other fun categories: historic forts, old agricultural equipment, historic forts, bells, penny smashers, trees, pirates, Underground Railroad sites, Michigan Centennial Farms, vintage ad locations, defunct amusement parks, WPA projects, ghost towns, exact replicas, highways and byways, and hundreds more!

http://www.waymarking.com

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    That photo was April 2006. When I drove by later that year or early 2007, it was gone. I'll miss the Thunderbolts when they're all gone. Don't know about the Book Cadillac - need to be downtown on Saturday afternoon to listen for it.
    I picked up the Burt Rd thunderbolt in June 2007.

I was mistaken on the date, the photo is probably from 2003. Anyway, it was gone later in the year. And at the time I took that, I don't think they had any siren on the roof. I thought maybe a storm blew it down. Wouldn't that be ironic?

Is the city replacing their Thundrbolts whenever they fail, or do they have a replacement program in effect?

Since 2006 the city has bought new sirens to replace the old.
    I was told that they haven't tested their sirens since the moved the 911 center and with the new 800Mhz system, didn't bring over the controller to activate the old sirens.
    So far all the Fire station locations have new sirens. The ones on schools and other buildings have been left to rot in place. There are 4 sirens that are pole mounted for now, still not hooked to power to charge the batteries [[new sirens run on 24 volt)
    They are at brooklyn and porter, along I-75 service drive, Behind the FD shops on Erskine & russell and State Fair and Rex. But soon they will be removing the new off of the stations and placing them on poles. For easy of repair [[or theft)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast