Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Looking to buy in the University District or Sherwood Forest

Or even Green Acres.

Just lookin' for a little bungalow, two bedrooms, garage, basement, that's about it.
    Any advice?

you might find something on quincy or in green acres

If you really want a small bungalow style, you will have trouble finding one in the University District or Sherwood Forest. Few of the houses are either small or bungalows.

A lot of ads say that a house is a bungalow when there is no element of bungalow to it, so if you just mean a nice, small house, you can find those in Green Acres. As a previous commenter mentioned, there are some smaller houses on the south and west edges of the University District, but I can't think of any bungalows.

If you are not set on living in the city [[and far be it from me to discourage you) you should just go across Eight Mile to Ferndale and look--lots of small bungalows there. I have a hard time recommending Highland Park, but there are some extremely nice bungalows there too.

Yes, Ferndale has a quite a few quaint and unique small and bungalow style homes... No, I cannot recommend HP either....
    Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    If you really want a small bungalow style, you will have trouble finding one in the University District or Sherwood Forest. Few of the houses are either small or bungalows.

A lot of ads say that a house is a bungalow when there is no element of bungalow to it, so if you just mean a nice, small house, you can find those in Green Acres. As a previous commenter mentioned, there are some smaller houses on the south and west edges of the University District, but I can't think of any bungalows.

If you are not set on living in the city [[and far be it from me to discourage you) you should just go across Eight Mile to Ferndale and look--lots of small bungalows there. I have a hard time recommending Highland Park, but there are some extremely nice bungalows there too.

Too bad you need the westside. There is a darling brick cape cod in EEV. Two bedrooms, full basement, an addition and garage. Bank foreclosed, selling price is only $13,000

Thanks for your advice, all.
    I grew up in East English Village/Morningside. Lived there 24 years, but it's too far from where I work and play these days. I rent a little bungalow just north of 8 Mile in Ferndale now but would like to move back to my hometown.

Those houses in Boston-Edison are just way too big for lil' ol' me, so I guess I'll focus on Green Acres.

There are definitely some small places in Green Acres [[where I live). One sold for very cheap on Lichfield not too long ago - there's another for sale on the street, technically a "colonial," but smallish [[address: 20216). I see a bungalow for sale on Sheffield. Not a lot of the smaller ones, but they're around.

Lots of bargains in Green Acres these days. $1,000 per mo. [[principal, interest, taxes and insurance) will get you just about anything in the neighborhood. Out of pocket would be less than $900 per mo. after taxes. Houses needing repair or significant renovation would be less. Most houses there are 3br/2ba and about 2000 ft2.

Hey HN, I also moved from Morningside to the west side suburbs. I love it over here. I don't miss the east side personally. I had friends that lived in Sherwood Forest and University District and were happy there. One eventually moved out of state, the other one lived in UD until he passed away. Another moved from UD to the suburbs because his kids were older and he was tired of sending them to a private school. I like UD the best myself, and would think about it if I didn't work so far outside of the city. good luck, it's still a buyer's market you will likely find a number of nice choices.