Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Better Made potato chips 2nd factory store?

Many of us from Michigan and the surrounding states love Better Made potato chips and their family of products.

I had the pleasure of touring their factory several years ago, and also frequently visit their factory store located on Gratiot [[connected to their factory). The store features every Better Made product that you see in supermarkets [[incl multiple sizes and flavors), plus a whole lot more [[chocolate covered potato chips and pretzels are to die for).

I am thinking if it would be a wise business move for the company to open up a second "factory store" type location in the Eastern Market area. I would bet there would be more customers flowing through there on a Saturday than the present store can gets in a week. Of course, renting space and hiring employees are another issue, but this is already a successful business that I am sure is capable of evaluating this proposal.

What does everyone else think of this idea?

I don't know that it would be profitable. Who would shop there Sunday thru Friday?

all i gotta say is they are the best chips ever. you can have your crappy lays potato chips but the only ones that come into my house are bettermade.

If they had home delivery I'd be there best customer.

Argh, I've never liked the "burnt" off taste of plain Better Made chips, but the BBQ flavor is the best. Very distinctive perfect taste. Yum!
    Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    all i gotta say is they are the best chips ever. you can have your crappy lays potato chips but the only ones that come into my house are bettermade.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    Couldn't agree more- Better Made are WAY tastier then Lays.

Sounds like some of you guys have a chip on your shoulder.

Just kidding, couldn't resist the little pun. I'll go sit on the Naughty Rug now and think about what I just did, the bits CPU cycles I just wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    Sounds like some of you guys have a chip on your shoulder.

Just kidding, couldn't resist the little pun. I'll go sit on the Naughty Rug now and think about what I just did, the bits CPU cycles I just wasted.

good one

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    If they had home delivery I'd be there best customer.
    They do offer home delivery. Visit http://bmchips.com/Chip-Store.aspx

Anyone know of a regular store that carries all the crazy flavors like Sicilian, Ketchup, Pickle, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Couldn't agree more- Better Made are WAY tastier then Lays.
    When we first relocated to the Kalamazoo area a couple of decades ago, friends and relatives would bring/send us Detroit packages. We'd get, among other products that were unavailable in our region, jars of Sanders fudge, boxes of Prince macaroni & cheese, and of course, bags of Better Made chips. Having grown up in the Better Made neighborhood, I had never bought another brand of chips in my life until we moved out here.

A few years ago, I was on my way to work when I spied a somehow-familiar yellow truck several car lengths ahead. No way, I said to myself. I managed to catch up and yeah baby, it was indeed a Better Made's delivery truck. Woo hoo!

I was late for work that morning because I had to follow it to see where I would be able to locally buy the world's best chips. I was very happy he went to the Meijer's store nearest to my employer, LOL, especially when I learned that the Meijer nearest to my residence did not [[and still do not) carry the brand.

Now I can get most Sanders and Better Made products out here. Not Prince anything anymore, though I guess I don't know when or why that happened [[stopped buying the mac&cheese when my older son stopped eating so much of it).

Every time Better Made is mentioned, I get an urge for Rainbow Chips and Molson's....

Oh, and to actually respond to the actual intent of the thread, make the factory store a mobile one on 'just' Saturdays and other high-traffic days. [Forgive me if this is not a viable option as it's been at least 25 yrs since I have shopped at the Eastern Market.]

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    Anyone know of a regular store that carries all the crazy flavors like Sicilian, Ketchup, Pickle, etc?
    I've seen ketchup and pickle at, get this, Aco, but Sicilian, never knew they made them and being that's my heritage, I'd like to know what's the seasoning, ya know whadda mean
    Last edited by Maof; November-22-09 at 08:45 PM.

Maof, neither have I seen Sicilian as a Better Made chip flavor. The neighborhood across Gratiot from Better Made had a large Sicilian population until the late 1960s/early 1970s, so doesn't it almost make sense if there was some residual influence somehow? [[I was not old enough to influence anyone while I lived there except to bully my younger brother to go back in to the store and try to get more than the one free bag of chips we were allowed.)

Sicilian I have seen at the smaller party stores... sometimes at Gonellas.

It has garlic and parmesan flavor added. Tastes just like a Sicilian chip should taste.

Retroit Guest

The owners are Sicilian [[Cipriano & Moceri).

Regarding a 2nd store: Why open up a store just for potato chips when they can be bought at virtually every party store in the area? As for the specialty chips, those would probably sell in such small quantities that it wouldn't be profitable to keep every store stocked with every flavor. Therefore, it probably wouldn't be profitable to open a store to sell specialty chips.

Thrift or factory stores are usually attached to depot or distribution centers. Don't really know how they cover their route. Did work as the District Manager for Taystee Baking Thrift shops for a while. Too many diferent owners, too many different sets of rules while I worked there. One owner insisted we only dealt with in house bakeries. I had to buy the worst chips etc. from a company whose memory I have erased. I was a real hero when I got the company to start to repurchase inventory from Bettermade. The best chips ever.

Now that I am thinking of potato chips, what ever happened to New Era chips. Still have a few of the old large tins they sold the chips in. They were very good too!

Was on the BetterMade website last night and I'm heading down there soon. When there not on sale, say at Krog's, they're $3.89 a bag! I emailed them regarding the Sicilian chips, they still make them but she will let me know where they are available for sale.

Funny thing, my 13 year old said last night, "one thing thats always going on in this house is the toaster oven and eating chips!" cute

ok, they just emailed me back and said usually gas stations and smaller stores such as 7-11 sell the sicilain chips......and of course the factory.

sumas,

New Era got bought out by Frito Lay.
    Most of my aunts and mother worked there at one time in the 50-60. I think the changing of hands happened in the late 1960's.

the bag said on the alkaline side,
    I always thought they were referring to Al Kaline?

That was the only chip in the household since you supported your local companies.
    Now it is Better Maid.