Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Best Christmas in Detroit.

What was your best Christmas memory [[or memories)
    in Detroit?
    Did you see Santa at a local store?
    Did all your relatives drop by on Christmas eve or during the day or night?

1952 or 53. Santa at Hudson's, the place was like a dream, Christmas display at Ford Rotunda then woke up Christmas morning to find a Lionel train under the tree. Tons of aunts, uncles and cousins dropping by, food everywhere. Played with that train until the transformer got so hot it was smoking.

1855 was a jolly Christmas. Lewis Cass even chased us off his mansion's porch after trying to procure some egg nog.

I've spent all but 2 Christmases in my life here in Detroit, and they've all been wonderful - even the year our furnace stopped working and started spraying hot water all over the basement on Christmas eve. All of my very best memories center around family and friends, and I won't bore everyone here with those details, except to say that probably the very best Christmas of my childhood was when I had just overcome the chicken pox enough to be in the company of other people after more than 2 weeks of isolation, and finally left our home on a cold Christmas day to find 45 of my loud boisterous relatives in the warm glow and delicious cooking smells of my grandparent's house [[ohhh, and I got slot cars!).

1855 was a jolly Christmas. Lewis Cass even chased us off his mansion's porch after trying to procure some egg nog.
    Wow, Patrick, Lou must have had some exceptional egg nog that he didn't want to share

Christmas in the sixties and seventies were spent in the D. What was there not to love! Riding the bus downtown with my Mom and brother to shop at all the fabulous stores. Santa at J.L. Hudson's. Never went to the Parade, but watched it on tv and enjoyed Sonny Elliott and his beautiful wife as they brought us the latest updates from the parade route. Some years my Uncle Art would come and celebrate with us, other years my Uncle Bob and Aunt Norma. Dad driving the family downtown [[and everywhere else!) to see all the decorations and Mom singing Christmas Carols during the ride. Walking to Beard School in the snow. Actually being able to celebrate Christmas at school! The Christmas Pageant at Waterman United Methodist Church. Watching the Christmas shows on television [[one shot was all you had back then, so you better be parked in front of the tv for the major shows: Rudolph, Frosty, Charlie Brown, The House Without a Christmas Tree, ..) Heading to K-Mart in Melvindale to see all the toys and finalize a the list to Santa. So many memories, think I'll go put up our tree today.

I had a thing where I took my daughter for a couple years to this discount toy store on Van Dyke, telling her I was looking for toys for one of her cousins or whoever, but she could get one toy [[then I would go back and buy what she was interested in for Christmas.) So I took her there one year when she was 5 or 6 and there was a Santa in front. When I asked if she wanted to say hi to Santa she copped an attitude & said "That's not Santa. Santa's white!" It was time to be a good dad...

I asked her to think about it for a minute. Every mall her mother ever took her to had a white Santa, right? Were they the same guy? No. One Santa was even a woman! So were any of them the real Santa? No. All the Santa's on TV were white, but they're actors portraying what is most acceptable to the majority of the USA. So since we don't actually know what the real Santa looks like, wouldn't it be possible that the real Santa is a black man who has the perfect disguise, allowing white people their false white dream? For all we know, this is the real Santa!

At that moment I saw her face light up with all the hopes and dreams of a child, as she ran to him with her arms wide screaming "SANTA!!!"

every one of my christmases was the best. after my dad had transformed our attic into bedrooms for my sisters and myself, we heard santa's reindeer on the roof! then we came flying down the stairs to see a beautiful letter from santa, taped to the wall with ribbons and bows.

also, going to eastland mall to see santa. the best "north pole" ever. our parents would always take us to see the houses in grosse pointe that would have huge christmas displays, 'bout the size of the actual houses.

Retroit Guest

I never believed in Santa. Thought the whole idea was pretty stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    That's only because he left you a nice lump of coal every christmas.

Were you touched by an old man as a child?

Stosh Guest

I took my kids to Hudson's downtown for the last year they were open. Sadly they don't remember going there, but I do.

Shopping downtown when Hudson's and Crowleys were still there. The Christmas displays were great, even if you didn't see [[or believe in) Santa. Wooden escalators in Crowleys, if I remember correctly. Funny how that sticks with you.

Tree lighting and carols at Kennedy square, JP McCarthy hosting.

And the huge tree on the side of Hudsons was always a sight, as well as the decor downtown.

There's gobs of pictures of Detroit in Christmastime. Post them here? Here's one.

Last edited by Stosh; November-21-09 at 05:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by larrym View Post
    1952 or 53. Santa at Hudson's, the place was like a dream, Christmas display at Ford Rotunda then woke up Christmas morning to find a Lionel train under the tree. Tons of aunts, uncles and cousins dropping by, food everywhere. Played with that train until the transformer got so hot it was smoking.
    My older brother got a Lionel train and I loved the smell of the transformer. You used to be able to put drops into the engine stack to simulate it smoking.

Stosh Guest

Latter day Christmas image!
    Credit: Downtown Detroit Partnership

Attachment 3977
    Last edited by Stosh; November-21-09 at 06:40 PM.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by eno View Post
    My older brother got a Lionel train and I loved the smell of the transformer. You used to be able to put drops into the engine stack to simulate it smoking.
    I still have that train and transformer set. Still works. They don't make them like that anymore.

And totally forgot about the Rotunda show. I think only twice I went there before it burnt.
    Last edited by Stosh; November-21-09 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    actually, that's kinda sad

Just some unconnected memories. One year, I must have been about eight, I really wanted a Chatty Kathy doll. My poor Mom must have gone everywhere to find one, but no luck. Santa wrote me a letter with a promissary note. I got one for Easter. Still have her.

Must have been around 10 or eleven and really wanted white leather GoGo boots. I got them and boy did I think I was hot!

So many nice memories Downtown Hudson's, Family get togethers on Christmas Eve, the Ford Rotunda, Lakeshore Drive light shows.

Fast forward to adulthood. We were hosting the family get together Christmas Eve so we raced home from church to set things up. My husband lit a fire in the fireplace but forgot to open the flue. He has never lived that down.

The year our eldest son was about five maybe six and every damn thing we bought him had to be assembled. We are not terribly handy and it was almost six am by the time we were done. Never went to bed cause the kid was up and ready to go at 6:30.

Our youngest son picking out the coolest Christmas tree we ever had.

The year my kids boycotted the tree decorating because I cheaped out and used an artificial tree.

Nice memories, thanks for jogging my mind.

When our first son was two or three I was unemployed and the presents were sparse to say the very least. The next Christmas I went overboard and he had more presents than he ever needed. I'll never forget the fact that with all those presents, for the next two weeks he chose an empty box to play with and carry around. I learned quite a lesson that year.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Just some unconnected memories. One year, I must have been about eight, I really wanted a Chatty Kathy doll. My poor Mom must have gone everywhere to find one, but no luck. Santa wrote me a letter with a promissary note. I got one for Easter. Still have her.

Must have been around 10 or eleven and really wanted white leather GoGo boots. I got them and boy did I think I was hot! .

Suams - I still have my Chatty Cathy too but shes sounds like an alien now! I also received GoGo boots but was kinda pissed because I got the ankle ones and my sister received the ones that went to the knee. Oh well, we looked cute anyway.

dfunkycity Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    Suams - I still have my Chatty Cathy too but shes sounds like an alien now! I also received GoGo boots but was kinda pissed because I got the ankle ones and my sister received the ones that went to the knee. Oh well, we looked cute anyway.

You can purchase a kit to repair the talk box on Cathy online.
    U can probably find it on Ebay.

Actually, here it is.It is a repair service. Im sure u can find it cheaper with some research.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Restore-your-Cha...#ht_4629wt_958
    Last edited by dfunkycity; November-22-09 at 11:27 AM.

Attachment 4000
    Attachment 4001
    Thanksgiving or Christmas turkey.........Yum yum on either one!

Attachment 4002
    Even a cardboard fireplace shouldn't, couldn't, wouldn't keep Santa from getting in!

Attachment 4003
    Attachment 4004
    Race tracks and Train sets, Tops of the Christmas list for many of us back then.
    Simple times.............The Best of times!

Looks like my family, except mom and dad would have had a cigarette dangling from their lips.

ragtoplover - we had one of those "fireplaces" too! way cool

We were poor, I didn't have the train that smoked. I loved go to a Christmas tree sales lot on Fort Street and just inhaling the wonderful odor of those trees.

Quote Originally Posted by dfunkycity View Post
    You can purchase a kit to repair the talk box on Cathy online.
    U can probably find it on Ebay.

Actually, here it is.It is a repair service. Im sure u can find it cheaper with some research.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Restore-your-Cha...#ht_4629wt_958

ya know, i know of a woman that restores old dolls but i've had her card for about 6 years and never got around to it. thanks dfc,

You can't hardly buy a boxcar for $9.98 now. Full sets are well over $100 and probably aren't as well made.

I forgot about the Rotunda too. Damn, that was a long time ago.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast