Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: NHL Playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    That is a bit harsh...only call a penalty when there is a lot of blood or an acute head injury evident?
    You liberals are all alike.....
    LOL

so much for a rematch of 1995. NJ got bounced by the Canes on, of all things, a bad goal by Brodeur.

Yes, but assuming we make it and Boston loses, we can either have a rematch of '98, '02, or '08. Think of the possibilities!

Quote Originally Posted by raptor56 View Post
    so much for a rematch of 1995. NJ got bounced by the Canes on, of all things, a bad goal by Brodeur.
    In Marty's defense...thats a tougher shot to stop than people make it out to be...I am sick to death of hearing that referred to as a "soft" goal. Left handed shooter on the glove side working towards the bottom of the circle, you have to play that perfectly to position yourself to make a save. You certainly need to pick and choose what you want to take away, and if you look at the goals...they had to tuck BOTH shots inside the post, Marty set himself up for the save, give the shooters all the credit in the world, those were beautiful shots... If you can't tell...I was a tender lol

And don't forget, the Wings get to faceoff against what I consider the finest facial hair in all of hockey. None other than George Parros, has a very close resemblance to Mike Tyson’s Punchout opponent Von Kaiser!

SEE!

*edited to include image proving my point*
    Last edited by d.mcc; April-29-09 at 10:42 PM.

Agreed, those were great shots, as was Federov's snipe. I love playing the off wing, lots of options, and when you cut to the net you're on the forehand. Out riding my bike this afternoon, went by the Allen Park Arena, saw the Ducks getting off the bus for practice.

I spent a lot of time in that Arena...4 years worth...

So you played for AP High. They had their first team the year after I graduated. Boy was I pissed. My junior team ended up playing against them that year, talk about motivation. Playing at AP Arena in front of all the teachers I despised. It was like Slap Shot, there was a bounty on my head. They spent so much time trying to run me, they forgot about playing the game. We smoked em 8-2, I had a hat trick. Did end up fighting one guy at the end, my knuckles are still scarred from the braces on his teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    So you played for AP High. They had their first team the year after I graduated. Boy was I pissed. My junior team ended up playing against them that year, talk about motivation. Playing at AP Arena in front of all the teachers I despised. It was like Slap Shot, there was a bounty on my head. They spent so much time trying to run me, they forgot about playing the game. We smoked em 8-2, I had a hat trick. Did end up fighting one guy at the end, my knuckles are still scarred from the braces on his teeth.
    Never said I LIVED in Allen Park...

Gotcha. At any rate, AP still has the best ice surface around, lighting is poor though. Looking forward to Hawks vs Canucks tonight.

Gotcha. At any rate, AP still has the best ice surface around, lighting is poor though. Looking forward to Hawks vs Canucks tonight.
    I played for the OTHER AP High School team back in it's prime. But yeah, I always thought it was some of the best ice I ever skated on

I'm kind of surprised the Ducks are practicing at Allen Park and not City Arena, which is much closer tot he Joe. Any idea which hotel they are staying at?

They're staying in Dearborn, either the Hyatt or Ritz.

Troy and Liggett have very nice ice rinks as well.

Never been to AP. Apparently it's all the rave.

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    Troy and Liggett have very nice ice rinks as well.

Never been to AP. Apparently it's all the rave.
    It's the bee's knees...

I would say I have skated on that surface at least...450 times in a 4 year span

When they first opened the AP rink, if I didn't have a game or practice, I'd go there around midnight on a Friday or Saturday Night and skate till 6am with the different groups of older guys who rented the ice for pickup games. There weren't many rinks around then so those were the only times they could get. It was good practice for me because these guys would hold and hack me, anything to stop me. Then I would go to the Nugget on Southfield road for steak and eggs, then home to sleep. Now I'm one of the old guys hacking the kids.

Ray1936:
    My son will be at the Mystic, on Boulder Hwy, in his Red Wing jersey tomorrow, to watch the playoff game. After a few months of unemployment, followed by a couple months of underemployment, he has landed a good job.
    Now, it's time for dad to find good employment in Detroit......
    Go Wings!!

Makes me awful glad to be retired and not have to worry about the job search thing, Bobl. Anyway, we'll watch the game at home. We have the NHL season package on cable.

If Chicago doesn't get better quick, that series is gonna be over within 5 games...

Too bad, it should be a bit closer right now.

When they first opened the AP rink, if I didn't have a game or practice, I'd go there around midnight on a Friday or Saturday Night and skate till 6am with the different groups of older guys who rented the ice for pickup games. There weren't many rinks around then so those were the only times they could get. It was good practice for me because these guys would hold and hack me, anything to stop me. Then I would go to the Nugget on Southfield road for steak and eggs, then home to sleep. Now I'm one of the old guys hacking the kids.
    Um...what about Ted's???

We rented ice at Gordie Howe's Hockeyland, on Harper in SCS late nights while in high school. One day, many of us were sent to the counselor following one of those nights of hockey. Apparently, our appearance was not good after staying up most of the night, and teachers suspected drug use!

By the way, Mr Howe's wrist was bigger than my leg....
    Last edited by Bobl; May-01-09 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by d.mcc View Post
    Um...what about Ted's???
    This was long before Ted's. Ted's is where the Nugget used to be. I played at Gordie Howe Hockeyland. I remember there was no glass on the sides, I checked a kid and he went over and landed on some of the parents. I can vouch for Gordie's wrists, when he shook your hand, you felt it.

Wings and Ducks both looked good tonight. Wings might hav gotten a break on penalties. The difference: We have Lidstrom and they don't!

Just watched the Brown hit on Hudler in slo-mo, it was clearly an elbow. My problem with it is the hard plastic elbow pads that are used these days. Its like getting hit with a brick. Ban the hard plastic and go back to the foam padding. There will be a lot less concussions.
    Last edited by Downriviera; May-02-09 at 02:27 PM.

Excellent game today. I always ALWAYS enjoy watching Cindy Crosby and her gang of loveable misfits come up short in big pressure situations. Gotta hand it to that girl though, she does a commendable job playing in a men's league.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast