Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: NHL Playoffs

I agree that the call on the Too Many Men on the Ice HAD to be called. That wasn't a judgement call by the refs. It was plain as day. What if there was no call, Commodore had played the puck, headmanned it up to a speedy winger and they would've scored on the Wings because he had an unfair advantage of stepping onto the ice too quickly? That's the flip-side of the coin. The referees made the right call on a very very basic rule that is pretty clear cut and like Downriveira said, it's something taught from a very early age. The smart thing to have done was just not touch the puck, let it go by, wait for his team mate to climb aboard the bench and then go retrieve the puck. There was no pressure on him whatsoever from the Wings at that point.

Hockey's won and lost on boneheaded plays such as this. This time, unfortunately for the Blue Jackets- their number was due.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    I've been watching both the Caps/Rangers series and the Cavs/Pistons series, and one thing is clear. While the Cavs have a superstar, LeBron has also become a leader, the guy who sets the tone, who the team gels around. Ovie is the Caps' superstar, but he's being too damn quiet to lead. He's happy to lead by example, it seems, and the team is suffering for it. Mike Green? Where the hell ya been, buddy? Can we get some net crashing, please, knowing damn well you're going up against a stud like Lundquist?

And will someone PLEASE find a way to get Sean Avery out of the NHL? The Hanson brothers would be embarrassed of this guy.
    GP...

How do you feel about Syd...??? Green has been ok, but there simply isn't enough pressure around the goal mouth to capitalize when Lundqvist makes a mistake of puts a rebound in the slot... Semin needs to get off his horse

My apologies to Mike Commodore. He wasn't the Blue Jacket that stepped out on the ice and played the puck. It was Fredrik Modin. My bad.

As everyone has said, it was the right call, as much as I would have not liked to have seen it end that way. HNIC did say that it was a botched play though, as someone hit it with a high stick beforehand. Whatever, I'm not complaining, Mason never really got hot, thankfully. Looking forward to the next round of action [[and hoping for a Wings-Bruins final!)
    Last edited by SCS100; April-24-09 at 06:21 AM.

Can I again say how well and poised Varlamov has played???? Anyone????

Caps and Rangers is going to go 7 games.

Sharks are about to get knocked out

Calgary and Chicago is a good Series

I think Carolina and NJ will go 7 too

Am I missing anyone?

Oh yeah, Cindy, the first female captain of the NHL, Will have to play all 7 against Richards and the Flyers.

...The whispers, nearly imperceptible at first, became more clear. A few began to notice. Soon, after the next round, the whispers were replaced by a chant: "Bruins are coming. The Bruins are coming..."
    And Don Cherry paid a visit to his tailor.

Philly up 2-0!

And quickly blowing a 3 goal lead I might add...

3-2 now.

Quote Originally Posted by SCS100 View Post
    And quickly blowing a 3 goal lead I might add...

3-2 now.
    Gonna be a bumpy one

Philly is shooting itself in the foot with all these penalties...

That's the one thing that will kill them.

"According to Rangers trainer Jim Ramsay, one patron was screaming at the team, in graphic language, about whether defencemen Dan Girardi and Marc Staal have a sexual relationship,"

Wings v. Ducks

Hawks v. 'Nucks

Anyone have any insight? I know I have mine, but I will wait to see what others think.

Vancouver is simply too good for the Hawks, and I wouldn't be willing to bet against Luongo at the moment. As for the Wings, barring a San Jose-esque fiasco, I think that they will ultimately prevail, although it may be a longer series than we'd like. It's certainly going to be very physical.

Predictions:
    Wings in 6
    'Nucks in 6

If those series result in a Wings-Canucks Conference Final, I am definitely buying tickets. That's going to be a great series if it happens.

Vancouver is simply too good for the Hawks, and I wouldn't be willing to bet against Luongo at the moment. As for the Wings, barring a San Jose-esque fiasco, I think that they will ultimately prevail, although it may be a longer series than we'd like. It's certainly going to be very physical.

Predictions:
    Wings in 6
    'Nucks in 6

If the result of those series is a Wings-Canucks Conference Final, I am definitely buying tickets. That's going to be a great series if it happens.
    My turn.

Detroit v. Anaheim. Jonas Hiller had his coming out party against the Sharks. This is definitely NOT the same Ducks team that played throughout the season, as they they are 18-4-1 in their last 23 games including the playoffs and regular season. That being said, the only reason the Ducks were able to run the Sharks is simply because they match up better with the style of hockey played by San Jose. San Jose doesn't like to run big forwards to the net, and seem to prefer a perimeter game that calls for the point men to control the tempo of the offense. These works beautiful if you can control the puck, not to mention if you can put bodies in front of the tender. SJ failed to do this, at least as far as getting men in front of the net consistently. When they did this though, they were successful. Detroit will attack Hiller and force him to work laterally as well as vertically. He takes away the bottom of the net beautifully, but makes the first move constantly putting his pads on the ice limiting his ability to move side to side as efficiently as say Mason or Luongo. Hiller hasn't faced a team that moves the puck as well as the Red Wings do, and this should open up numerous options to create scoring chances. In the Duck's defense, they are an experienced team with strong puck carrying defencemen. Pronger is always a threat, and one cannot discount Perry, Wisnewski, and Getzlaf. This should be a great series if Osgood can remain serviceable.

Detroit in 6 Games.

Chicago v. Vancouver Luongo. Vancouver's primary weapon in this series without a doubt. While the Canucks can put the puck in the net, Chicago has been beautiful in limiting prolific scores like Iginla. I believe the X-Factor in this series will be Khabibulin. He was absolutely stellar in the last 3 games against the Flames. Chicago is young, but has some veteran leaders keeping things in perspective in the Windy City. Kane, Toews, and Versteeg are all players to be taken very seriously, and I simply don't think Vancouver can match up well after somewhat easily skating through St. Louis. Chicago is going to play the Canucks at a much higher tempo, not to mention physical pace than the Blues could muster up. If the Blackhawks that won games 5 and 6 show up, this could be a very one sided series. If not, expect it to be tight, possibly going the distance.

Chicago in 7 games.

Quote Originally Posted by d.mcc View Post
    Wings v. Ducks

Hawks v. 'Nucks

Anyone have any insight? I know I have mine, but I will wait to see what others think.

Wings keys to the game:
    • Neutralize the Ducks top line of Ryan/Getzlaf/Perry.
    • Get pucks to the net. We need to pepper Hiller and capitalize on any rebounds he gives up. We need to average 40+ shots a game [[like SJ) to get the puck by him. He's playing well right now. We need to reverse that like we did with Mason.
    • Osgood needs to simply play consistently. And if he's hurt.... know when to put in Ty.
    • Unleash Hossa. He is hungry and wants to win. He is coming off a 2-goal game. Give him minutes and PP time.
    • Discipline. Don't take dumb penaties. The Ducks will take several penalties and if we can stay out of the box, our PP should give us another leg up on the series.
    • Roll all four lines. We are stronger when we consistently ice our entire bench.

Not to mention finish better at the end of the game because we are CAPABLE of rolling all four lines.

Whoever wins the other series and if the Wings survive another upset bid, I look forward to the Conference Finals. Another Original Six matchup never hurts either...

Whoever wins the other series and if the Wings survive another upset bid, I look forward to the Conference Finals. Another Original Six matchup never hurts either...
    Could Very well be Detroit v. Chicago and NY v. Boston

Boston and NY would play each other next round if NY beats Washington under the way the NHL playoffs work. Now Pitt v. Boston I could see, which would be intriguing cause I would love to see Crosby face Chara. Best final possible would definitely be Detroit v. Boston.

Just watched the Caps knock out the Rangers on Versus. Can't believe Versus can't show the 3rd period of game 7 NJ vs Carolina. This would not have happened in the espn days. Game not on CBC either. So at least I watched it online. Unreal come from behind win for canes, down a goal with about 1 1/2 minutes to go and they score 2 goals on Brodeur to take the series. And wait till you see the replay of local boy Timmy Gleason's assist on the tying goal, a playoff highlight for years to come.

The Devils had another Downriver Native on their team. I used to play against him back in my day.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Just watched the Caps knock out the Rangers on Versus. Can't believe Versus can't show the 3rd period of game 7 NJ vs Carolina. This would not have happened in the espn days. Game not on CBC either. So at least I watched it online. Unreal come from behind win for canes, down a goal with about 1 1/2 minutes to go and they score 2 goals on Brodeur to take the series. And wait till you see the replay of local boy Timmy Gleason's assist on the tying goal, a playoff highlight for years to come.
    Where I was watching, Versus cut to the Carolina/NJ game after the Caps/Rangers finished. What a ridiculous comeback. If Carolina can score two goals in 80 seconds to win the game, they deserve to move on. That's what championship hockey is all about.

I'm just excited the Caps will have at least 4 games to make Cindy Crosby cry. Verizon Center needs to start selling Kleenex to throw on the ice.

I'm just excited the Caps will have at least 4 games to make Cindy Crosby cry. Verizon Center needs to start selling Kleenex to throw on the ice.
    I present to you...a series of images:

Boston and NY would play each other next round if NY beats Washington under the way the NHL playoffs work. Now Pitt v. Boston I could see, which would be intriguing cause I would love to see Crosby face Chara. Best final possible would definitely be Detroit v. Boston.
    i think the most entertaining would be D vs Washington

Where I was watching, Versus cut to the Carolina/NJ game after the Caps/Rangers finished. What a ridiculous comeback. If Carolina can score two goals in 80 seconds to win the game, they deserve to move on. That's what championship hockey is all about.

Versus cut to the NJ/Carolina game here after the Rangers/Caps for about 2 minutes, then the studio host came on and said due to contractual obligations that could not show the rest of the game. You kidding me. Its game 7 tied at 2 goals in the third and they can't show it? Where were you that Versus showed the rest of the game?

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast