Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Thread: NHL Playoffs

Default NHL Playoffs

Blues are in the Playoffs baby!

Set to face the Wings right now, but it depends on what Anaheim does. The Wings will either face Anaheim or St. Louis. As a Blues fan, I'd rather face San Jose honestly.

See you in the playoffs!

I dunno. I'm getting bad vibes about the Wings just right now. I'd not be surprised to see them an early out.

Me, too. Something just isn't right about the team. Too many goals against, many resulting from careless passing in their own zone.
    Maybe they need a fire lit under their posteriors.

ccbatson Guest

That uncertainty ought to make for interesting and exciting games.

Besides sharp skates they got to sharpen their attitude a whole lot better than the debacle this last Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by 14509glenfield View Post
    Besides sharp skates they got to sharpen their attitude a whole lot better than the debacle this last Sunday.
    Whats that, playing it safe for the playoffs??? The 2nd spot was already secured, they had no reason to play at 100% and risk injury to top skaters. They needed to look ahead to Columbus. The Presidents trophy was lost, spot secured. No need to do anything stupid, just play the game loose and get ready for the run.

ccbatson Guest

Taking it easy to save yourself for later challenges often dilutes the human drive necessary to go all the way in the end. Hopefully, they can find the right balance and timing.

Yeah, you're right. "Human drive" can conquer any devastating injuries suffered in a late-season game.

The Wings are a proven playoff team, no need to worry. They have many tested vetrans and players like Hossa who are hungry for the chance to sip from Lord Stanley's Cup.

See you all in June at the parade!

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    Taking it easy to save yourself for later challenges often dilutes the human drive necessary to go all the way in the end. Hopefully, they can find the right balance and timing.
    As someone who has been in similar situations as to what the wings were in, albeit on a slightly lower level. Both teams had locked up spots and a win or a loss one way or the other was going to affect their position in the race...its common sense.

Multiple games on multiple channels, I have to get some new batteries for my remote.

ccbatson Guest

Maybe so D_mcc, but the spirit and mindset of the team will have been affected.

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    Maybe so D_mcc, but the spirit and mindset of the team will have been affected.
    Doubt it, professional players understand that physical attributes need to be in top condition before a long run. Injuries happen, short turn around, hostile environments, the team that can handle the rigors the best usually prevails. Strong body is as, if not more important, than a strong mind in the play-offs

One step closer to Lord Stanley's Cup for the Wings.
    Last edited by Johnlodge; April-17-09 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    One step closer to Lord Stanely's Cup for the Wings.
    Only 15 more steps to take...

Hoping Vancouver kicks the Blues asses! But I do like St. Louis' logo. It really is one of the best in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Hoping Vancouver kicks the Blues asses! But I do like St. Louis' logo. It really is one of the best in the league.
    My rooting generally goes in this order:

Red Wings
    Rest of original six
    Pittsburgh Penguins
    Rest of NHL
    Whatever those Duck shitheads in California are now calling themselves.

Pretty much all my worries were put to rest last night. Especially Chris Osgood. He played very well in the first period, and went on to play very consistently for the rest of the game.

Not to mention some secondary scoring from Valterri Filpulla and Happy Hudler. Then you had Franzen with a strong game, Jonathon "The Kid" Ericsson netting a first ever playoff goal in his first ever playoff game and zetterberg moving the puck well. Hossa and Pavel will have their time to light the lamp, just not last night.

What really calms me down is the fact that we did shut down Rick Nash. I didn't see his efforts amounting to much at all last night.

And they tried to take it to us physically. We responded quite well, although we took some penalties, but never let our guard down and withstood the heat. Great game all around.

ccbatson Guest

Adversity can be a great motivator....Go Wings!!

Blues are down 2 games to none, but we can go home now and hopefully win the next one.

Did I mention how classless Canucks fans are? I don't care how much you hate David Backes. Leave his wife out of it. Trashing his website with his wedding photos is simply not acceptable. Insinuating that she's having extramarital affairs is fine on the ice [[which Burrows did). Off the ice it is not fine. Good grief. Classless and unsportsmanlike.

Quote Originally Posted by LeannaM View Post
    Blues are down 2 games to none, but we can go home now and hopefully win the next one.

Did I mention how classless Canucks fans are? I don't care how much you hate David Backes. Leave his wife out of it. Trashing his website with his wedding photos is simply not acceptable. Insinuating that she's having extramarital affairs is fine on the ice [[which Burrows did). Off the ice it is not fine. Good grief. Classless and unsportsmanlike.
    Gotta be tough...

Just ask Brian Bellows:

[[NSFW)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MNA0_n32Hc

Blarf Guest

It's funny how the wings finish at the top nearly every year, yet no one has any confidence in them.

You can't blame them. They have a long history of upsets by inferior teams. They probably should have won about 9 Stanley Cups since 95'

Quote Originally Posted by Blarf View Post
    It's funny how the wings finish at the top nearly every year, yet no one has any confidence in them.

You can't blame them. They have a long history of upsets by inferior teams. They probably should have won about 9 Stanley Cups since 95'
    Not necessarily. On paper I agree 100% with that statement, except for the fact that as far as grueling goes, no other professional sport touches hockey in the play-offs. Its more about stamina than talent and skill at some point. If you tried to play 4 games in 7 days, your body takes an immense beating. Of course that doesn't cover the the early round bow-outs, but there are few positions in sport than can single handily change the outcome of a series like a goaltender can. I know it seems like the Wings always get buzz sawed...but I can assure you that while the everyday hockey fan might have assumed the Wings ran into a 'hot' goaltender, those that know the game know that going into a series against Calgary and Mikka Kiprusoff, or Anaheim and J.S. Giguire [sic] while being unable to get quality opportunities is a recipe for disaster. Another thing to take into account is most of the teams that beat the Red Wings in the early round come from the Pacific Division, teams like Anaheim, Calgary, and well...Edmonton. Very rarely will a team from the Central get the drop on Detroit because those teams are a known quantity that we see more times a year than other teams. That factor goes a long way in establishing a rhythm in a cup run.

Sure, it's great to assume the Wings should be in contention every year, but thats a little selfish...We aren't the only city with quality teams.

St. Louis is actually playing quite well against Vancouver. Unfortunately, Roberto Luongo is just that good. Vancouver vs. Detroit could be quite a series if Columbus, St. Louis, and Anaheim all lose.

My assessment so far: [[all games from CBC)

Philadelphia is just a sitting duck if they continue to take as many penalties as they have. Last night they were disciplined and still lost, which leads me to believe that they are practically sunk.

Boston should win in 5, but Montreal could make things interesting. Game 1 was a little too close for Boston.

San Jose is in trouble if they play like they did the first game. Anaheim completely owned that game.

St. Louis is in trouble, but still has a chance, since they've managed to keep the first two games close.

The rest:

Barring a hot streak by Mason and some bad luck, Detroit should be fine.

Washington and NY could be interesting, especially since Theodore is looking quite ugly at the moment.

Chicago and Calgary could turn out to be a classic if Kipper manages to stand on his head for 7 games. And anyone else out there think that Cammalleri should've gotten a game or two for that punch on Havlat?

Carolina and New Jersey should also be a battle now that Carolina has woken up.

I am totally against octopus cruelty. I suggest we throw Octomom on the ice instead.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast