Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Thanksgiving parade

What time should we get downtown to get to the parade that morning and where should we park?

My info is out of date but we used to park on Library street and get there around 9 am or so. Took chairs, a ladder and an extra blanket. Two jugs of hot coaco, one plain one, one with adult additives.

Hope you have a great time. I have great memories of the parade from when I was little through my own children being young. If I ever have grand kids, I 'll be back down there. Parades are great fun when shared with little folk.

EastSider Guest

It depends where along the route you want to be, towards the start or the end? The Campus Martius area hasn't filled up the last few years until closer to 9 AM.

You park where you can find it, but you have to factor the Turkey Trot into your driving route. It goes up Woodward from Monroe to Stimson and then doubles back to go out Michigan and back down to Washington to Jefferson.

I plan to park underground at Grand Circus Park and watch the parade at Adams and Woodword. I could find a cheaper lot but I won't have far to walk. I look forward to the parade every year! Then off to the Lions game and dinner with friends!

Oh, and don't forget the flask full of your favorite holiday cheer!

Went last year. Parked in a ramp by the Ren Cen about 8 o'clock walked over to Grand Circus Park around the Turkey Trot and stood at the corner of Witherall and Woodward right next to the People Mover and was in the front row of people. It was a little cold and I couldn't feel my feet by the time we walked over to the Lions game after the parade though.

DetroitDad Guest

In the past we watched it from a window, or up near the start, but on some of those occasions, we were late or it stopped at Grand Circus Park. It is my understanding that it now stops at Campus Martius, correct? I'm thinking we are going to go for a lower Woodward viewing spot, nestled between the buildings.

I'm glad someone asked this question. I'm going for the first time this year and wasn't sure what time to go down there.

EastSider Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    In the past we watched it from a window, or up near the start, but on some of those occasions, we were late or it stopped at Grand Circus Park. It is my understanding that it now stops at Campus Martius, correct? I'm thinking we are going to go for a lower Woodward viewing spot, nestled between the buildings.
    The official terminus is Woodward & Congress, and Campus Martius is a nice viewing area. But you should know that Campus Martius is after the "tv zone" so the timing between floats can be more stretched out more than ideal.