Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default I Love The Changing D-YES Photo Banners!

I just wanted to comment on how nice the wide angle photo banners here on DYes are. Very nice and the cropping really make you look at the given scene in a unique way!!

I love the standard skylines, but my favorite is the sculpture in front of the building bearing the name "Titian". Oh and the one with the blue chicory flowers in front of the old factory buildings - what an irony. And that close up of the brick work of the Guardian building is splendid! And that pile of bricks photo! Anyone else have their favorites?

I do too. I just don't like the Tiger Stadium one. It hurts every time I see it.

I can't say I've seen any one that I didn't like. I'm sure I haven't seen them all, though I have seen a few many times.

Thanks Lowell for all the great work you do to keep this site fresh and entertaining. I, for one, appreciate it.

Likewise a big THANKS Lowell!

I agree. It's a nice touch.

^^what they said.

Ditto......

I haven't seen one I didn't like.

I like the one with the "meat" shop store front with the hand painted signage etc. with painted image to the left of the man roasting the pig... Then there is the Diego Rivera fresco shot on another banner. I love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke09 View Post
    Ditto......

I haven't seen one I didn't like.

"hand painted signage" -- you don't see that too often in other cities. There has to be a story there. Why is that? Maybe it's worth starting another thread.

I listened to a sports talk radio station today. That hasn't happened in a long time. It was too depressing listening to other talk radio - you know the 24 hour tragedy stuff. So these guys are talking about men, athletes and coaches crying. I think they agreed it's not kosher for these big, tough, men to cry over lost games and silly crap. Anyway, my point is this : they agreed Tiger Stadium was worth crying about. And one of them said he did cry over it. There! I'm not alone.

I love the new banners, too, Lowell. It seems like I am continuing to be surprised by new ones. I know this must have taken a great deal of work, so thanks very much for all your work!

Great banners. A favorite depends on mood. All the blues in Diego Rivera maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    "hand painted signage" -- you don't see that too often in other cities. There has to be a story there. Why is that? Maybe it's worth starting another thread.
    Jim have you seen this story?

http://www.detroitblog.org/?p=1010

Thank you all so much for the kind remarks! There are 100 images in the collection so far.

Regarding hand painted signage, I highly recommend David Clements' fabulous "Talking Shops: Detroit's Commercial Folk Art". Great holiday gift book. My favorite? Yetta Boo's Boobs and Buns Hand Car Wash.

I love them too. They need a caption or something though for folks that want to know a little more about what is photo'd. Maybe like a caption balloon that pops up when you mouse over the pic.

I agree - the new photos are great! Thanks for the memories!

Thanks, Pam. I had not seen that webpage.

Thanks, Lowell. It's clear you put a lot of loving effort into selecting these images.

In my experience, the only other city that had much hand-painted signage was New Orleans. In that way they seem similar to Detroiters. Once near Pontiac I caught a painter painting an ampersand backwards. I told him it was backwards but he ignored me and it stayed that way for many years.

Ha! Funny car wash!
    Last edited by Jimaz; November-20-09 at 11:23 PM.

Hah! Boo and Buns car wash! Hilarious! Well what gimmick will peeps think up next! LOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Thank you all so much for the kind remarks! There are 100 images in the collection so far.

Regarding hand painted signage, I highly recommend David Clements' fabulous "Talking Shops: Detroit's Commercial Folk Art". Great holiday gift book. My favorite? Yetta Boo's Boobs and Buns Hand Car Wash.

Great banners Lowell. To be instructive, it would be dandy to have a spot for explaining what we are seeing. Even the obvious, may not be obvious to many of us.
    jjaba.

DetroitDad Guest

Default What Is This?

Last edited by DetroitDad; November-21-09 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Picture messed up the look of the site.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I just wanted to comment on how nice the wide angle photo banners here on DYes are. Very nice and the cropping really make you look at the given scene in a unique way!!
    D'accord. ...........................

That is a zoom close up of that monstrosity red steel elevated sculpted railing, lighting mess that graced Washington Blvd. back in the 80's. Thing of it was you could only appreciate the lighting if you were in a high rise looking down at it.... I was working on the a high floor of the book building and recall loking down upon it......

Stosh Guest

I'd like to know the significance of thr Kwame photo with the 1946?

The lights at http://detroityes.com/HeaderFlash/ga...bum1/2/120.jpg are actually an artwork called "Century of Light" by wonderful far-ahead of his time Detroit artist Jim Pallas.

Unfortunately it was part of of the ill-fated Washington Avenue project and vanished with the change back.

Jim Pallas' "Century of Light", commissioned in 1978 to celebrate the 100th anniversary of Edison's lightbulb, was the first public sculpture to employ a microprocessor. This 18 foot iron mandala of 144 incandescent lamps responded to sounds and radar-sensed pedestrian traffic[[or, in this clip, dancers) with a programmable variety of moving light patterns. It performed flawlessly in downtown Detroit for over 20 years until the city government bungled a move in 2006 and destroyed it.

Hmmm, I ain't seen that one. LOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    I'd like to know the significance of thr Kwame photo with the 1946?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast