Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Kresge Shops open

Today I noticed that the Kresge Shops are open. So far ther is just a little "bakery" and jeweler. The lady at the little bakery said a sports memorabilia shop is coming and that they are trying to get Trader Joe's or some grocery store to use the basement, right below the shops.

I thought putting old pictures of Detroit all over the building was a nice touch.

3 more..

Really? I walked passed there last night and it seemed there was work going on, but it looked it alot some more work to do. I guess it's nice, better if there was a Trader Joe's.

Excuse my ignorance, where are we?
    jjaba.

Excuse my ignorance, where are we?
    +1

ive no clue what building this is...

It's the old Kresge 5 and dime on Woodward at State.
    Last edited by buildingsofdetroit; November-18-09 at 04:38 PM.

I find the floor tile hideous. I'll bet the $10 in my pocket, that Trader Joe's never moves in there. Sorry to be negative. I do actually hope the place does well.

Quote Originally Posted by Chub View Post
    I find the floor tile hideous. I'll bet the $10 in my pocket, that Trader Joe's never moves in there. Sorry to be negative. I do actually hope the place does well.
    No, I can't see TJ's move there either. But they can try to persuade them.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    No, I can't see TJ's move there either. But they can try to persuade them.
    Not enough parking, though you do have the Hudson's site across the street ...

"Not enough parking" Is that supposed to be a joke? There is too much parking if you ask me.

Those pics don't look as bad as I thought. It looks like they still have quite a bit of work to do though, and those historic pics are just depressing when you look at them in context.

Quote Originally Posted by Chub View Post
    "Not enough parking" Is that supposed to be a joke? There is too much parking if you ask me.
    Yes but very few people will spend money to park in a surface lot or garage when it's so easy in this region to park for free. Even if you could find a way to offer free parking, merely having to park in a garage as opposed to an immediately adjacent surface lot will deter a lot of people.

In fact, for suburban grocery stores, I believe there are studies that tell them to build surface lots in front of their stores rather than behind because it attracts more cars from the street when people see the easy parking. Any one seen of these studies before or have more information on this concept?

That being said, I really hope this project is successful and contains stores that fit in well with the community and are profitable.

Ugh, the place is atrocious.

Seems to lack...charisma. Fashioned after the "Eaton Place" at Wonderland Mall in the early 70's?

I wish them success, but that place really looks cheap, tacky, and unwelcoming.

Seeing that escalator made me all nostalgic though. Downtown Kresge's was one of my big hangouts as a child, and I remember going down there to buy the newest Hot Wheels cars.

DetroitDad Guest

I think it actually looks pretty good in person, not so much in the pictures. The bakery looks pretty good.

I've been inside this building and yes, it's been built cheaply. The floors are the same kind of tile found on bathroom floors, and the glass booths are constructed using metal rails also found in shower stalls. Like walking into a public bath!

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    I've been inside this building and yes, it's been built cheaply. The floors are the same kind of tile found on bathroom floors, and the glass booths are constructed using metal rails also found in shower stalls. Like walking into a public bath!

Perfect place to open up a shampoo store!

Looks cheap? Where you expecting it to look like the inside of Somerset Mall with tenants selling $950 dress shirts?

DetroitDad Guest

Let me rephrase; it looks good for what it is, and looks nicer than it's sister property; The Russell Bazaar.

Come on! You folks have got to stop being so critical concerning how the place looks. It looks 10 times better than it did one year ago, when it was vacant. It looks 10 times better than it did five years ago, when it was vacant. It looks 10 times better than it did 10 years ago, when it was vacant. Get the point?.

Add goldfish and great ham sandwiches and you got yourself a Kresges.
    Add 50,000 shoppers coming down on the multiple streetcars and you've got yourself a Kresges.
    That block on Woodward is the "new urbanism" in many cities. Build to the sidewalk and take public transit.
    jjaba, 1940s memories.

It looks maybe five times better. But I wish them the best of luck with the space. Trader Joe's will not move in there, but maybe a local grocery owner will take it. I am interested in the shops that will set up shop there. The design is terrible, not to mention a bit cramped--I can't see it filled with bustling patrons like the good old times, as the historic photos on the wall remind us.

There is an abundance of parking around the Shops. There is absolutely no reason for free parking because all of the Woodward-plan core downtown is a pay-for-parking area. They could offer validations but it would be an added expense not expected when you are relying on foot traffic and local residents and workers, who might have already parked elsewhere downtown and traveled on foot during the day. Let's be straight--though Detroit and Michigan have had a shameful and not-so-imaginitive direction in urban planning over the last 50 years, I think everyone today realizes that this area is veritably downtown and a suburban-style development, with free parking out front in a surface lot, is not possible or necessary. Not to change the subject-but I do fear the Tiger Stadium site will be home to a big-box suburban development because it is outside the CBD, and large...It would be another deadly blow to the fabric and sustainability of the downtown area.

"Dionysia" aka Kellifanos has done a good thing bringing the shops downtown and opening another vacant building. It is another small but important contribution to the livability in the CDB.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    It looks maybe five times better. But I wish them the best of luck with the space. Trader Joe's will not move in there, but maybe a local grocery owner will take it. I am interested in the shops that will set up shop there. The design is terrible, not to mention a bit cramped--I can't see it filled with bustling patrons like the good old times, as the historic photos on the wall remind us.

There is an abundance of parking around the Shops. There is absolutely no reason for free parking because all of the Woodward-plan core downtown is a pay-for-parking area. They could offer validations but it would be an added expense not expected when you are relying on foot traffic and local residents and workers, who might have already parked elsewhere downtown and traveled on foot during the day. Let's be straight--though Detroit and Michigan have had a shameful and not-so-imaginitive direction in urban planning over the last 50 years, I think everyone today realizes that this area is veritably downtown and a suburban-style development, with free parking out front in a surface lot, is not possible or necessary. Not to change the subject-but I do fear the Tiger Stadium site will be home to a big-box suburban development because it is outside the CBD, and large...It would be another deadly blow to the fabric and sustainability of the downtown area.

"Dionysia" aka Kellifanos has done a good thing bringing the shops downtown and opening another vacant building. It is another small but important contribution to the livability in the CDB.
    Decided to drive past this after work last night, and while I agree with some of the negative-tinged points regarding the asthetics and parking, it seems that seeing lights on AND activity anywhere new downtown is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    I've been inside too, and I totally agree.

But it's a flea market, so what more should we expect?

ETA: It actually reminds me of how Mammoth/Kings Way looked inside, back when it was still open.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast