Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Ham Shop Has Reopened

Yes, it is in the former Bahn Thai location on Monroe and Randolph.

Oh thank god!

I was in shocked when i saw their former building gone when I was in Greektown last.

They have great hangover food.

I've never been to a place that specializes in Ham. Any good? I think there's a Ham place on John R in Hazel Park too.

Is that the place I remember as " Ham Heaven "? Huge, thick ham sandwiches.
    Last edited by Meddle; November-18-09 at 01:56 PM.

Hooray! One of my husband's favorite hangouts when he's going to court. Unfortunately, a little off the path from Frank Murphy to UD Law, but it's worth the detour.

Quote Originally Posted by CountrySquire View Post
    I've never been to a place that specializes in Ham. Any good? I think there's a Ham place on John R in Hazel Park too.
    You ought to get over to Mike's on Michigan Avenue near Junction as soon as possible. Please be advised though, it ain't exactly health food.

What is the history of these ham places? There are several others as well, and a few that have closed. One, on Cadillac Square, was included in the first edition of Roadfood. I've never seen restaurants like them anywhere outside Detroit. I grew up in Toledo, and there were zero ham places there.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Is that the place I remember as " Ham Heaven "? Huge, thick ham sandwiches.
    Those sandwiches were worth every penny! Ham tasted like what grandma would bake for Easter dinner. Yummmm

"Ham Heaven" used to have good split pea/ham soup too. I miss that place.

I remember Ham Heaven. One of my husbands co workers would get ham bones still loaded with meat from them all the time. She was a Canadian and I still wonder how she got those bones through customs. Sometimes she would share with us. The bones were gigantic. The first time she gave us one to make soup, we didn't have a pot big enough for it. Tried sawing it in half but that didn't work, finally used a chain saw. It was pretty comedic. Solved the problem by buying a gigantic stock pot. Nothing better than homemade Pea or Bean soup.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    You ought to get over to Mike's on Michigan Avenue near Junction as soon as possible. Please be advised though, it ain't exactly health food.

Mike's rocks. Best ham sandwiches in the city.

Sumas..."one" of your husband's coworkers? Exactly how MANY husbands do you have? You're a better woman than I!!! Sorry..my tired eyes are playing tricks on me today. Thanks for the smile!

I love how Ham Shoppe kept all the Thai decorations! There's lots of bamboo dividers and lotus murals. Hee-hee!

Quote Originally Posted by 9936Sussex View Post
    "Ham Heaven" used to have good split pea/ham soup too. I miss that place.
    It's still there. Or did you mean you don't live around here anymore and that's why you miss it? Man! Now I'm really going to have to try it out.

CountrySquire: I think Ham Heaven is gone.

No! I am happy to announce the Ham Heaven is still there.

Ham Heaven, at least the one downtown next to the First National, was torn down after the Hudson Building implosion. There might be another one someplace else, but the one I believe folks are discussing is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    There might be another one someplace else, but the one I believe folks are discussing is gone.
    I remember yellow exterior walls with big brown X's or something and that it was within walking distance of the Coney Islands.
    Last edited by Meddle; November-21-09 at 01:20 PM.

I think that was the one written up by the Sterns. It was indeed near First National, and it's gone now.

If you MUST eat pig, eat pig here.

http://www.boorah.com/restaurants/MI...99A746DAE.html

Just had breakfast at Ham Heaven, they were offering meals free for donations to the local church. I had the french toast with ham on the side.