Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Eastown Theater

Default Eastown Theater

i know its been discussed before, but nothing came up on a search....but here it is,,,,,, turn in your bottles

http://www.churchrealestatesales.com...er_detroit.htm

Well, it costs twice as much as a Silverdome these days...

I thought this thread was about the old Eastwood Theater, on Gratiot, just north of 8 Mile, then I realized it was about my favorite neighborhood theater, the Eastown at Harper/ Van Dyke.

Hopefully this will be good news for the theater...
    Last edited by Detroitej72; November-18-09 at 02:23 AM.

Basement:

Yes - 7,313 Square Feet with New Boiler for Central Heating System and a Large Laundry Facility.
    Extras:

Recent Improvements Include Renovation of Apartment Units and New Windows
    This made me laugh. The basement is flooded, the main stage absolutely destroyed by water damage and vandalism, and the "recent improvements" are totally trashed now; not a single window remains intact and I'm pretty sure there have been a number of deaths in and around the building. It is in the worst part of town and needs at least a few million in improvements before it could ever be up and running again. The building, though impressive & beautiful, is worth $50-$150,000, if that.

It is in the worst part of town
    we could discuss the worst part of town forever.
    Maybe we need a new thread,
    but what would be the criteria??????????

It's hard to beat the Harper and Van Dyke area for the title of "worst."

It might be tied with 6 Mile and Gratiot for that dubious distinction.

I agree with gsgeorge on this one. With the current market, the building is not worth close to 1,000,000, given the amount of work that will need to be put into it. And having lots of potential retail spaces does not add to the value of the property when there is little evidence that the spaces could be filled with tenants. It's quite unfortunate.

The sad truth is that that building is probably worth nothing right now. Whoever owned it would need some grant or seed money to re-rehabilitate the apartments, but even then, where would the residents come from? Hard to imagine what anyone would do with that theater now. Barring wholesale redevelopment and repopulation of the area I really can't see how it would have any value whatsoever, let alone anything near that ridiculous price.

Sad. I saw my first movie there in 1965.

It could happen. I have a serious vision for the Harper corridor between Vandyke and Gratiot. The Eastown property is included. $1,000,000 is crazy though. There are alot of grant moneys for a project this big especially for a non profit. Give me a little time and you will start to see this neighborhood flourish.
    I would first develop a security team. This team would patroll the commercial district thereby decreasing crime and theft and and bringing in some shops and businesses to the area. It can happen.

price seems a lil unrealistic to me too....... well alot unrealistic actually. I think clutch cargos was listed at 1.2 mil and that looked pretty nice and actually OPERATIONAL....

Quote Originally Posted by cub View Post
    It could happen. I have a serious vision for the Harper corridor between Vandyke and Gratiot. The Eastown property is included. $1,000,000 is crazy though. There are alot of grant moneys for a project this big especially for a non profit. Give me a little time and you will start to see this neighborhood flourish.
    I would first develop a security team. This team would patroll the commercial district thereby decreasing crime and theft and and bringing in some shops and businesses to the area. It can happen.
    Your thoughts on grants and non-profits all sound nice, and it may be the last hope for this building, but you've got to be kidding about security patrols. They would be kicked out or killed by the gangs and crooks the very first night. Detroit needs to police these areas more heavily, and let's be honest, that is not happening for at least several years.... When that time comes the building will be falling to the ground like the Packard Plant. Another sad loss for Detroit.

Perhaps a non-profit will come in, perhaps the city will pull together its resources to pull an area like this from the brink, but there are lots of neighborhoods in Detroit and only a handful that are finally rebounding. With the city in debt and crisis, it is hard to find out where to concentrate your efforts and resources.

If saved, the Eastown could be an integral part towards the realization of the 'city of villages' concept currently discussed by urban planners, businesspeople, and agriculturalists. I can see it being the 'hub' of a small farming community within the city, surrounded by fields of corn, fruit orchards, and wind generators. But it is hard to face the fact that this may be an improbable scenario.
    Last edited by Gsgeorge; November-19-09 at 03:06 AM.

The 2,500 seat [[original seating) Eastown Theatre is one of the last extant
    outlying giant neighborhood movie palaces left in Detroit.

Of the truly large theatres it's the last one [[although the smaller 2,000 seat Redford is still intact and well maintained). The other giants have disappeared... the 3,434 seat Hollywood Theatre [[largest outside of downtown) was pounded to rubble in the 1960s, and the 2,786 seat atmospheric Grand Riviera Theatre saw a similar fate in the 1990s.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    Your thoughts on grants and non-profits all sound nice, and it may be the last hope for this building, but you've got to be kidding about security patrols. They would be kicked out or killed by the gangs and crooks the very first night. Detroit needs to police these areas more heavily, and let's be honest, that is not happening for at least several years....
    Gsgeorge, have you met cub? If anyone can accomplish this it is him, and I do not think security patrols are unrealistic. Other neighborhoods in the city have security patrols. Are you saying that this neighborhood will never be able to organize any kind of collective action because it is more poor and has more problems than Boston-Edison or Indian Village? While that makes things more challenging, it is not impossible.

Personally, I think cub has the right idea by building from the ground up. That is the only way to achieve lasting success. The city can surely help by doing things like providing more effective policing, but most of the change will have to come from within.

Its ok Cman....someone on the forum said cleaning the lots up for community gardens wouldn't work either. Wwe are starting a drive to pull churches resources together in our area. Not finacially perse but community services like clothe and food drives. Together we will be able to do greater things and then spark some serious revitalization in our area.

Cub, I think that is a good idea. Cooperation among the area's church resources should benefit not only the church's, but more importantly, the people that they serve. Also, small things like that are necessary to pave the way for more in-depth cooperation later.

My mom said she saw Tom Mix open the theater when she was a kid in 1930. This was the "big" theater in her neighborhood. She used to go to the Priscilla Theater on Mt. Elliott, but this was a very fancy movie "palace", and a little pricier.

Default Listing from Cinema Treasures

Eastown Theatre

Detroit, MI
    8041 Harper Avenue
    , Detroit, MI 48213 United States

Status:ClosedScreens:Single ScreenStyle:UnknownFunction:UnknownSeats:2500Chain:UnknownArchitect:UnknownFirm:V.J.

The Eastown was one of Detroit's great neighborhood theaters. It opened originally in 1930 for the Wisper & Westman circuit. It was mainly a movie house, though it did have a small stage and did occaisionally host stage shows as well in its early years.

Its decor was a mixture of Renaissance Revival styles, including Spanish and Italian with Baroque and neoclassic elements as well. The auditorium, which included a large balcony, originally sat just under 2500. It was designed by the firm of V.J. Waier & Co.

Though the Eastown closed as a movie house during the mid 60s, its second life was just beginning, for which it would be much better known, as one of Detroit's premiere rock venues.

Beginning in 1969, the list of performers on the Eastown's stage reads like a who's-who of rock and roll of that era. Alice Cooper, the Doors, Pink Floyd, Jefferson Airplane, Bob Seger, Jethro Tull and the Grateful Dead are just a few of the bands who played here between 1969 and 1973.

It was forced to shut down in 1973 by the city of Detroit, cited for failing to meet health and safety codes. In 1975, it reopened as a jazz venue, which remained in operation for about a year. After this, it was used for a short time for performing arts and live theater, but again closed down.

In 1980, the Eastown began to show adult films under a new name, the Showcase, but closed again in 1984. From 1984 until 1990, the Eastown was again home to a performing arts group.

During the mid-90s, the Eastown hosted raves, and later housed a church. Today, the building is unused.
    Status:ClosedScreens:Single ScreenStyle:UnknownFunction:UnknownSeats:2500Chain:UnknownArchitect:UnknownFirm:V.J. Waier & CompanyThe Eastown was one of Detroit's great neighborhood theaters. It opened originally in 1930 for the Wisper & Westman circuit. It was mainly a movie house, though it did have a small stage and did occaisionally host stage shows as well in its early years.

Its decor was a mixture of Renaissance Revival styles, including Spanish and Italian with Baroque and neoclassic elements as well. The auditorium, which included a large balcony, originally sat just under 2500. It was designed by the firm of V.J. Waier & Co.

Though the Eastown closed as a movie house during the mid 60s, its second life was just beginning, for which it would be much better known, as one of Detroit's premiere rock venues.

Beginning in 1969, the list of performers on the Eastown's stage reads like a who's-who of rock and roll of that era. Alice Cooper, the Doors, Pink Floyd, Jefferson Airplane, Bob Seger, Jethro Tull and the Grateful Dead are just a few of the bands who played here between 1969 and 1973.

It was forced to shut down in 1973 by the city of Detroit, cited for failing to meet health and safety codes. In 1975, it reopened as a jazz venue, which remained in operation for about a year. After this, it was used for a short time for performing arts and live theater, but again closed down.

In 1980, the Eastown began to show adult films under a new name, the Showcase, but closed again in 1984. From 1984 until 1990, the Eastown was again home to a performing arts group.

During the mid-90s, the Eastown hosted raves, and later housed a church. Today, the building is unused.

One of my best friends was Bob Bageris and he started the rock bands coming into Eastown theater. He had a lot to do with bands at Cobo too. He ran Bamboo Productions.
    Died of lukemia at 35

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post

It was forced to shut down in 1973 by the city of Detroit, cited for failing to meet health and safety codes.
    Translation: It was too white a place, in a black neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    In 1975, it reopened as a jazz venue, which remained in operation for about a year. After this, it was used for a short time for performing arts and live theater, but again closed down.

I beg to differ, In 1997, I went to a play at the Eastown, so it was still home to a performing arts theater at this time.

In 1999, I attended a rave at the theater, which would put the time line a few years later than said source.

dfunkycity Guest

If the price were right, it would make someone a hell of a home.

You'd save money on a home theater as well.

It's wide open as of Monday.

Probably squatters living in there now.

The Eastown was showing dollar second-run movies in the early 1980s, I went on a service call with a friend who is in the movie theater projection equipment sales/repair business, it was a hot, hot summer day, there was no A/C in the theater and the audience was pissed off that the show was late starting. I'm thinking this was about 1981.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    I thought this thread was about the old Eastwood Theater, on Gratiot, just north of 8 Mile, then I realized it was about my favorite neighborhood theater, the Eastown at Harper/ Van Dyke.

Hopefully this will be good news for the theater...

Been to both of them, back in the day. And both were very entertaining. [[If you know what I mean.)

and then
    Last edited by Bigb23; December-16-09 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jgavrile
    One of my best friends was Bob Bageris and he started the rock bands coming into Eastown theater. He had a lot to do with bands at Cobo too. He ran Bamboo Productions.
    Died of lukemia at 35
    I worked a couple of Bamboo concerts at the Silverdome in the '70's. One was Peter Frampton, w/Steve Miller and J. Geils? [[can't remember exactly 'cause saw a number of concert combinations there also)... the other, I think was Jethro Tull and Robin Trower w/maybe Seger third bill. Worked for Bageris' right hand man...never met Bob directly. Was just a kid anyway. Got a Bamboo Productions t-shirt each time for my effort. Mostly filled dumpsters up w/beer/wine/booze concoctions as people chugged right up to the time they came through first security [[us). Later we got to go up front of the band behind the plexiglass[[?) wall in front of the crowd. Fun times but as many will echo, lousy concert venue. A little too young and green for the Eastown, but knew some older kids who backed up bigger bands there. Pretty wild reputation, that place. Sad story now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast